Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

My opinion about ID4 dvd..(xcheckers..this is for you!)

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

My opinion about ID4 dvd..(xcheckers..this is for you!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-00, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
Ever since my wife showed me ID4 in crappy VHS format (I should be thankful though because she made my day) all I thought about was ID4 on dvd. I wanted it so bad..everything about this movie was awesomely made. It's not technically mentally complex like Matrix or Dark City..but it's right up there with the greatest. The action is so intense. I clearly remember here at dvdtalk cursing the heck out of Fox because they stated it will be released in non anamorphic. I felt that was such a downer because this movie is truly a showcase for a widescreen HDTV in an electronic store.

Now that it's anamorphic..clearly it's the #1 in my collection. You see..I love UFO's, and they portrayed them in this movie beautifully..I mean the motherships and the battles. Say what you say..but seriously I have no idea how a UFO looks like or an alien.

How is ID4 on dvd? Simply put BREATHTAKING. Truly it's the most electrifying dvd my eyes have ever seen in my home theater. As much as I love DTS I have to go out and say that of all my DTS dvds..none have kicked ass in bass as Dolby Digital ID4! My sub..the volume knob was very low..but it blew the socks out of me!!! The panning was amazing.

Picture? Sheesh..Fox did it again. Beautiful 2:35.1 widescreen anamorphic image. I was just in disbelief seeing this amazing great colored picture looking dvd and all those battles and explosions. It was like watching a Star Wars flick..breathtaking.

Those who await the arrival of ID4 on June 27th will drive you insane. It's so worth the wait. The menus are so beautiful and the sound was stunning. I go as far to say..I desperately don't need the DTS right away because I am purely satisfied by this reference dvd. I haven't checked out the 2nd disc, so I cannot comment on that.

Layer change was rapid (air force 1 scene).

Note: This movie is gonna take off on dvd immediately..mark my words.

Many special thanks to dvdtalk as always and KShan and Softwarebuys.com for my immediate arrival of ID4.

Feel free to express your comments about this dvd and if you want to shell out negative comments..go right ahead..it doesn't phase this amazing well done movie done by the GODLY team and Fox.

Thank you Fox..definately you guys are heading the right direction on dvd!

-sonic
<small>

[This message has been edited by sonic (edited June 17, 2000).]
Old 06-18-00, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well said!! I for one am a fan of this movie. I can't help it I like movies like Armageddon, The Mummy & ID4!! I stated in another post that this DVD truly shows what the Home Theater experience should be like. My sub was going crazy during the battles and it's turned down very low!
You will not be dissapointed with this DVD...

[b][i]

------------------
Now Playing
Old 06-18-00, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oooh, the cover is much better than I thought... It shiny!
Old 06-18-00, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The cover is awesome..the discs are awesome..the transfer is awesome and the sound is amazing.

Low RG

I love Godzilla 1996, The Mummy, Armageddon, Deep Impact, etc, just like you! ha hee

Old 06-18-00, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Damnit....I have to wait about ten days to get mine from Amazon. Sounds so cool though - I can't wait to get it. I'm probably gonna need to turn my sub down for this one though...is it good clean deep bass on this disc or is it a little bit pounding? I've found some movies get a little obnoxious if the LFE is all a certain range.

Anticipation.....I know those saucers are going to be pure eye candy. This will likely be one of my main reference discs from now on.

Mummy and Armageddon CC are great DVDs, I don't care what anyone says. The Mummy especially is a very entertaining movie....some people take it much too seriously and forget to have a great time watching it.
Old 06-18-00, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>I don't care what anyone says. <HR>

Amen. I say phuk them and they can rot in hell for all I care.
Old 06-18-00, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 652 Posts
sonic...you have turned into the "zombie" of ID4. such a shame...
Old 06-18-00, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Brianluvdvd

Not really. We all know that NOTLD LE is garbage..and many know ID4 kicks ass!

Comparing ID4 to NOTLD LE is like comparing apples to oranges.

People talk so much chit..but they eventually pick it up.

Also..why such a shame? What do I have to be so ashamed about???

Remember..NOTLD LE came with the 2nd disc which is crappy music..unlike ID4 which came with a 2nd disc full of supplements for ID4 fans like many and myself.

-sonic
<small>

[This message has been edited by sonic (edited June 18, 2000).]
Old 06-18-00, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What's NOFLD LE?

------------------
Warriors! Come out to play-iy-ayy!
Why I go Dutch on dates.
Old 06-18-00, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

NOFLD LE is an...<small>error..</small>..

Old 06-18-00, 11:22 PM
Banned

It may look and sound great, but the movie is **** .
Old 06-19-00, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
Wow! Sonic's post is exactly like ID4!
BIG but empty
Old 06-19-00, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 06-19-00, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, what the hell is it?

------------------
"You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake."
The New Crack
Old 06-19-00, 06:23 AM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Night of the Living Dead Limited Edition.

I'm guessing though.

Nice review sonic. I'm looking forward to getting my disc too, but I preordered it through reel so I think I may be in for a wait.

------------------
David, Moderator of the Other Forum
I laughed, I cried, my life was changed: The Other Forum
My DVDs and HT Email: [email protected]
Old 06-19-00, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

reptile590

Night Of FFFff..um..Frying Living Dead? I don't know. It was a typo bro!

Thanks Blade for the compliment.

I'm positive I could have given a way better review..but this was a quickie..I posted the review right after I finished the ID4 dvd experience.
I never seen it in widescreen.....and only seen it once on VHS fullframe crap..loved it ever since..wished for it on dvd..and here it is! I don't know..I love movies..and they don't have to be super intelligent to move me..ID4..Armaggedon..Lost In Space..Matrix..Dark City...Life...all these movies I truly adore...oh..and Godzilla 1996, which it kicked ass.

-sonic<small>

[This message has been edited by sonic (edited June 19, 2000).]
Old 06-19-00, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nice review Sonic! I am one of the unlucky amazon customers still waiting. I can't wait for this disc. I was one of those goons standing in line when it came out in 1996 for most of the afternoon. It's a terriffic ride and dvd sales are going to go through the roof after this. Like Sonic and Low RG, I like Armageddon, the Mummy was awesome, Deep Impact, and all of the bruckhiemer/scott/bay classics. They are fun rides and in my opinion some of the best dvds on the market. Hey for all you ufologists check this site out!

my escape from reality

[This message has been edited by Chili Palmer (edited June 19, 2000).]
Old 06-21-00, 03:39 PM

I also had mine preordered from Reel way back in January! I used the link posted on the forum to transfer my order to Buy.com so who knows when my copy will show up.

I've already searched my local CompUSA for a copy without any luck. I might try again today.

Sonic's review has me hyperventilating at my keyboard. Can hardly sit here ... there must be a ID4 for me in SF somewhere!!
Old 06-22-00, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^
Old 06-22-00, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Nice review sonic. I have this movie pre-ordered at Amazon, and after reading your review I am about to piss myself in anticipation.

<small>Watch what you say about DTS, or I will have to grab some of that soap from Fight Club and wash your mouth out. </small>

------------------
DVDjunkie21's DVD List l My Pic
If you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed I will. I've got spare time.--Tommy Callahan
Old 06-22-00, 11:35 PM

The one thing I wanna know about is its status as part of their "five star club" WTF?

I like the movie (at least as far as I remember) and I ordered it but to put it on the same level as the Sound of Music is just plain silly...
Old 06-23-00, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Not one of my favorite movies; it's just plain silly. Still, it is pretty fun, if you put your brain in neutral (or reverse, even). I ordered it from Amazon (using a hefty freeride GC to soften the blow of ordering a DVD of a movie I disparage). Still, those extras sounded too good to pass up. I'm delighted that the final product turned out so good. How Fox went from the worst studio for DVDs to the best in such a short time, I'll never understand.

Speaking of things I'll never understand, did I actually read a passage in which sonic admitted that a Dolby Digital DVD actually sounded GOOD? Perhaps even BETTER THAN DTS DISCS? I must have been mistaken, right? I feel chest pains coming on....

[This message has been edited by Decker (edited June 22, 2000).]
Old 06-24-00, 04:36 AM

Wow, sonic, you sure know how to sell DVD's!

But I just remembered how bad the movie is, so I think I'll pass on the great sound and transfer. The one thing that bothers me to this day about the movie is the scene where the First Lady dies. I was so mad that Mr. President made his daughter go away, and not stay with her mother for her last few minutes on earth. I don't think anyone in their right mind would deprive their child of being with a dying parent for as long as possible. If it wasn't for that scene, I would be able to enjoy the movie as mindless fun with a lot of big explosions.
Old 06-24-00, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

<small>
quote:<HR>Watch what you say about DTS, or I will have to grab some of that soap from Fight Club and wash your mouth out.</small><HR>

LOL DVDjunkie21!

quote:<HR>did I actually read a passage in which sonic admitted that a Dolby Digital DVD actually sounded GOOD? Perhaps even BETTER THAN DTS DISCS? <HR>

Hee heh. Decker, yup, you heard right. The sound kicked ass. I never said Dolby Digital sound sucks. I mean..when the Dolby Digital disc is available in DTS..DTS just sounds better in comparison. Some DD discs sounds really awesome. For example..The Haunting, Prince Of Egypt, Blade (kicks ass!).

quote:<HR>I don't think anyone in their right mind would deprive their child of being with a dying parent for as long as possible. <HR>

Well that one slipped right by me chapstik. I agree 100% with you on that one. But..since it's a movie..and almost every movie has something odd about it..it won't change my feelings towards it. There is lots of movies that have worse things in it. Especially those like Fifth Element..in which Leelu gets out of the chamber..thanks to someone who already punched a hole through the capsule and pasted it back with crazy glue.

How about Eraser? When the guy at the gay bar..takes off his vest..next thing you know..he has it back on! Then..its off again miraculously! Now that..is phonyness!

How about Saving Private Ryan..a movie that many adore..including me. Homeboy army dude died..next thing you know..Hanks is walking with his crew..and from a distance..that dead individual..is back!
Old 06-24-00, 11:03 AM

You can read my in-depth review of the "Independence Day" DVD at the link below.

DVD Review: Independence Day

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.