Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review wanted:New Remasterd Tai Chi Master DVD

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review wanted:New Remasterd Tai Chi Master DVD

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-00, 05:32 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I know it just camed out, but as soon as someone gets the dvd could you post a review. Most important, did they fix the subtitles so they no long jump below the screen?
Old 06-08-00, 07:31 PM
gamer for life

Well, I went ahead and ordered it..so I will post a review soon.
Old 06-09-00, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the old version of Tai Chi Master by Universe(just ordered the remastered version too ). Well, the old version was hard matted and every now and then the subs would fall below the matted black bars. Also, the picture was subpar compared to other HK films. The picture appeared muted and at times a bit soft(more like vcd quality than dvd standards). Hopefully,issues like these will be addressed by the remaster version.

------------------
My Addiction
Old 06-23-00, 12:29 PM

Well, I just got my copy of the new Universe release and it is quite nice. I haven't watched the whole thing yet, but the small snipets I did watch looked great. The picture is letterboxed at a constant rate (unlike the previous release) and the picture is quite clean, although not as nice as a Hollywood picture from the same time (1993). I would rate it similar to the Criterion Hard Boiled quality, a little better than the HK Killer release. So it's comparable with the upper eschelon of HK-produced titles.

I haven't had a chance to examine the sound yet, but it is in 5.1 for both Madarin and Cantonese. The subtitles (default: turned on for English) are the much easier to read white with black outlined ones that are on most newer releases. However, the subtitles are only in Chinese and English, so be aware if you're looking for the 10 language ones that Universe usually does. It also includes the "star files" that are popping up on all Universe titles recently.

This is a great deal for $14 shipped at HiviZone and I highly recommend it.
Old 06-23-00, 02:24 PM

Does anyone know the difference between the old DVD and the remastered DVD from the cover? I may just pick this the remastered DVD at a local shop instead and I need to know if there is any way to distinguish the two different versions besides from playing the discs in the DVD player.
Old 06-23-00, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's the cover for the old release

Here's the cover for the recently rerelease version:

Hope this helps

------------------
My Addiction
Old 06-23-00, 08:11 PM
gamer for life

Tai Chi Master is part of Li’s “wire-fu” martial arts. If you are not ready for it, or are unable to let yourself be absorbed by the craziness of it all, you will only laugh at it. People do look silly at times, flying around the screen, or bouncing 20 feet in the air on their heads. If you do not let this get the best of you, the shear brilliance of what they are doing will get to you. It is like a comic book. The characters are super-human. As such, they do things that humans can not do. You must be able to accept that before you can accept this movie. The reason you have to is because this movie does have some of the best fights Jet Li has made. These fights are freaking amazing. I love this movie.

Two young boys grow up together in a Shaolin Temple. One is always getting the other in trouble, and eventually they are kicked out. One goes the dark path, the other the good path, and they cross down the road in a brutal fight.

This is simply amazing work. Filmed on a budget that would probably not cover most Hollywood movies catering cost, Tai Chi Master sizzles. Characters fly about, swords crashing, body parts slamming and so forth. This movie is directed by the awesome Woo Ping. He is the guy behind the fights in Matrix and Fist of Legend. This is a movie he directed all by himself. In many ways it is superior to his other masterpiece, “Iron Monkey”.

If you have seen Fist of Legend, and liked it, you will love Tai Chi Master. It is a different style of martial arts, but it is pure fun. When Woo Ping directs his own movies, he does not have a director on his back to get the fight sequences filmed on the smallest budget, and in as little time as possible. As the director he has all the time in the world to film awesome fights.

The dvd itself is indeed nice. While darker then the older dvd that came out, it does clean up many of the problems. Not a top notch transfer, but not as bad as many Hong Kong dvds are. The sound is a problem for me though. The sound effects are recorded a little louder then they should be, and are dominant in the center channel. This, like many Hong Kong dvds, is a weird 5.1 transfer. Many time you can not hear the actors, and the subtitles continue when no one is talking. If you are watching the movie with subtitles it should not be a big problem. Other then that, I am happy with the dvd. Like mentioned above, this is 9 bucks at hivizone. Ten percent off if you are a returning customer. Shipping is 5 bucks, but if you order more dvds, the shipping goes down for each additional dvd, so I would buy something else to go with it.

Ratings out of a 10 scale.

Movie:9 (not for any deep acting or story, but for sheer energy in the fights)

Picture Quality: 7

Sound Quality: 6

Oh, and if that copy of this movie is the older one..BUY IT..last time I checked it was going for a mint over at ebay. Double check and see.
Old 06-24-00, 12:58 AM

LOL!! I won't have a problem picking up the remastered DVD from the old DVD.
I have replaced both Heroic Trios and C'est La Vie, Mon Cheri with the remastered version and they are considerbly better than the older version. So it's worthwhile to upgrade to the remastered version.
Old 06-24-00, 08:20 PM

Isn't this also called "Twin Warriors"?

I reviewed Dimension's release of this last week...

DVD Review: Twin Warriors
Old 06-25-00, 02:18 AM

Twin Warriors is the Dimension film release version of the Tai Chi Master. In his review of the Dimension DVD, DVDRules1 blasted the DVD, giving it a near failing grade. My eyes must be oldar than I thought, because the US version I saw had great color, no scratches, good audio and decent dubbing. Saviour of the Soul also had soft colors, but no one criticizes that DVD. I saw the original Tai Chi Master on the LD version, and its colors were washed out and the subtitles were burnt in. For $16.99 with free shipping at buy.com, this version is the one to get if you don't mind "soft" colors. The only thing I found wrong with this DVD were the trailers that automatically come on at the start of the DVD, something Disney does with its releases now.
This Dimension DVD has a crystal clear transfer, no artifacts and a good price.
I have nothing against digitally enhanced video and the use of a liquidgate to remove scratches from a film negative. I recommend this version of the Tai Chi Master.
Old 06-25-00, 02:37 AM
gamer for life

But it is dubbed. Many will not touch it with a ten foot pole..I am one of them.
Old 06-25-00, 03:10 AM

"For $16.99 with free shipping at buy.com, this version is the one to get if you don't mind "soft" colors. "

yes, but most of us do mind the english dub and the hack job. Its a shame that the hk movie collector always get the worst of both world.
Either
a)nice pix with a new "western oriental" soundtrack, white people trying to speak with a asian accent, and scenes edited
or
b)bad to mild print with the original music remixed poorly.

No matter what the quality of the new universe remaster, I will purchase it(once by credit card absorb the last hivi visit!). I originally saw an fuzzy edited pan'scan bootleged version with 3 different overlapping subs(english,chinese,hindu(?))and was totally amazed by the fight scene; I've been waiting a year now for the re-release! This along with fong sai yuk are the reason I got into hk movies and collecting dvds.
Old 06-28-00, 06:20 AM

I am pretty disappointed in the re-master. The video is quite dark and soft and the audio is HORRIBLE. It's an improvement over the first release, but barely worth getting..

The Twin Warriors DVD has a great picture but it ends there. The rest of the DVD is crap - menu is crap, packaging is crap, audio is ok but features all new crappy music, scenes were cut (only a couple minor ones, but still..), and the dubbing STRIPS AWAY what little emotional content the movie had and makes the lighter moments seem absolutely absurd.

-Hanzou

Blade.Hispeed.Com