Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Lifeforce

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-00, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
i watched my copy last night after having it for a few months. this is one movie that every time it comes on hbo, etc., i find myself drawn to it & watch it every time. the dvd is so much better than a cable viewing of course but i could not believe how much better.

for one, it is a really good, clean transfer in widescreen. there is some minor dirt & grain but overall, very clean. the sound is a thunderous remastered DD5.1. this movie will definitely use the surrounds & work your sub.

the main attraction: it has the main female lead completely, utterly, butt-ass naked throughout the entire film. i think she wore a see-through cloak at one point but that is it. she has perfect breasts & a terrific ass.

the story is a little weak but i find it interesting nevertheless. think Alien + Outbreak x Night of the Living Dead = Lifeforce. the special effects are decent. did i mention the sound?

not much on extras except a trailer & supposedly 15 minutes added into the movie. to be honest, i was not really sure what the newly replaced footage. there is a MGM booklet that has a few tidbits of info.

this movie is not really scary or spooky, just a mildly interesting sci-fi vampire film. i recommend you check it out if that sort of thing interests you.

anyone else have any thoughts?

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~brianluvdvd
Old 06-22-00, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this the one about space vampires? I've always wanted to see it, but always seem to miss it......
Old 06-22-00, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts
Also noteworthy is that Patrick Stewart is in it, in a supporting role. It also stars Peter Firth, who some of you may recognize from later roles in The Hunt for Red October and Amistad.

The naked space vampire is French actress Mathilda May, who is still very much active in French cinema. Here is a link with some more recent pics of her:

Pics of Mathilda May

It was made in 1985 and the special effects will look a bit dated in places but it is, overall, an entertaining film.

------------------
HELP! MY TYPEWRITER IS BROKEN! - E.E. CUMMINGS
Old 06-22-00, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

justin, those are some really nice pics. it looks like she has held up very well. just wish she was more naked in them, but oh well...
Old 06-22-00, 03:23 PM
Hoc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

jaxheffi--

This is not the movie with the space vampires. Rather, it is a movie about a race of beings that feeds off the lifeforce of humans. It is hypothesized that this race, which behaves similarly to the vampires in earth mythology, actually was the source of all of earth's vampire folklore.

When I first saw this movie in the theaters, I was sure it would achieve cult status. The reason it is not really scary is that it is very hard for me to be frightened of a naked beautiful woman. But it is an intriguing movie to watch, and very enjoyable. I wish that the DVD had some extras, as it would be a definite buy if it did.

[This message has been edited by Hoc (edited June 22, 2000).]
Old 06-22-00, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by brianluvdvd:
justin, those are some really nice pics. it looks like she has held up very well. just wish she was more naked in them, but oh well...<HR>

Brian-

Dunno how old those pics are (but I know they are a lot more recent than Lifeforce. Mathilda is now 35.

------------------
HELP! MY TYPEWRITER IS BROKEN! - E.E. CUMMINGS
Old 06-23-00, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

BTW, Most of you have probably seen "the Jackal" That's Mathilda as Richard Gere's character's ex-wife, and she keeps her clothes on.

I still remember how reviewers universally panned Lifeforce when it was in the theaters. In truth, it holds up much better than other horror/sci-fi that was popular at the time.
Old 06-23-00, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The film is based on the novel "The Space
Vampires" by Colin Wilson.
Old 06-24-00, 05:52 AM

Yes, perfect is the word for Mathilda May. Had this on VHS for years but haven't watched the DVD since i got it months ago - now i'm very motivated - hope there's something good in those extra minutes. After looking at the link to her pics posted here, I kinda wish someone would have cast her in the Betty Page Story while Mathilda was still in her 20's.

Also notice Tobe Hooper (who will never top Texas Chainsaw Massacre) directed.
Music was by some obscure guy named Henry Mancini, who also scored It Came from Outer Space, Creature From the Black Lagoon and Tarantula.

[This message has been edited by JamesBrian (edited June 24, 2000).]
Old 06-24-00, 11:53 PM
Hoc

quote:<HR>Originally posted by JamesBrian:

Music was by some obscure guy named Henry Mancini, who also scored It Came from Outer Space, Creature From the Black Lagoon and Tarantula.

<HR>

Oh, that nobody again?
Old 06-26-00, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just watched this....

STINKER!!!

Granted the naked alien was distracting, but she was only onscreen about 10 minutes. The other 90 minutes were really tedious!

Not even worth watching for camp value.
Old 06-26-00, 05:38 AM
Hoc

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Peep:
Just watched this....

STINKER!!!

<HR>

I think that there are many people who say this about a lot of cult classics. Think about it. Army of Darkness stunk, Night of the Living Dead stunk, Texas Chainsaw Massacre stunk, Rocky Horror Picture Show stunk. That's what makes them cult classics, rather than mainstream movies. If you want four others in this vein, try Liquid Sky, The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai, Repo Man and Stranger Than Paradise.
Old 06-26-00, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i dont think that "stink or stunk" is the right word. i would just say that production values are low but the movie is still appealing to those who appreciate the certain unique "style" that a lot of these movies have. (at least the ones mentioned in the above post)