Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review for Green Mile

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-00, 02:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just received this Saturday, three days before you could buy anywhere! Watched today and thought it was fantastic. Just a good story with some great actors. It was a little long, but I enjoy longer movies. One for your collection.
Old 06-12-00, 11:24 PM

What is it worth as far as repeated viewing goes?

Anyone? I want to know, cus I'm thinking about adding to my collection?
Old 06-13-00, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought it was very good when I saw it in theaters, but it was just too long. That's kinda the reason I have no desire to watch it again. IMHO I don't think that this movie has much of a replay value. Down the road though, who knows? Sometimes I'll watch a movie I like but think to myself "I'll never watch that again". Then, two or three years down the road I'll have this sudden urge to see it again (it happened with The Thin Red Line). I say, buy it to have it just in case. It's cheaper than most DVDs and comes with a decent amount of extras (WB seems to be pretty good at keeping thier prices reasonable).

------------------
============================================

'Eritis sicut Deus, scientes bonum et malum.'
Old 06-14-00, 01:38 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bottom line ---- the movie is outstanding. It is a movie that evokes alot of emotion out of you -- laughter, anger, sadness. The performances in the film are unforgettable. It is definitely a movie that stays with you after you watch it. Great film and Great addition to your collection!

wlj
Old 06-14-00, 01:52 AM
Banned

I would not buy this movie, but I did think it was very good. Like others said, it is just too long.
Old 06-14-00, 02:00 AM

Though I'm generally in complete disgust of anything involving Tom Hanks, I got this DVD. As a DVD it is decent at best. Nice picture, not a terribly aggressive sound mix, but it doesn't really need to be. The only thing in the way of extras is a 10 minute "documentary". Basically just a "boy are we proud we got an oscar nomination, what a great movie" type of thing.

As far as the movie goes, the story is allright I suppose. It would certainly work better as a novel (which makes sense since King serialized it), but the adaptation is good enough. The effects border on horrible (IMHO) ... and by that I mean the computer generated stuff. The "live" effects are definitely a lot better: the animal wrangling is excellent, the set is spectacular, and the executions seem pretty realistic, but I don't have personal experience in that area (faces of death isn't on dvd yet is it? j/k)

Zach Hensel
[email protected]
Old 06-14-00, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts
i saw this movie in theaters. i am a huge stephen king fan & i have read the green mile book.

the movie is okay but i honestly do not think it has much repeat value. it just isnt that interesting of a movie. i did not buy it for the reason that i did not see myself really watching it more than than once.

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~brianluvdvd
Old 06-14-00, 06:08 PM

I watched "Shawshank Redemption" last night. In my opinon it's a superior film. "Green Mile" could have been 2 hours, but it kept going on and on... By the way it should have been the "Yellow Mile" with all the urine flowing.
Old 06-16-00, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Other than the fact that it's around 3 hours or whatever, it is still a very good movie. Probably one that years best. Everybody did a great job and it was very well written.

I purchased the DVD and i'll watch it again when I have that much time to spare. But it's still worth it.
Old 06-17-00, 03:48 AM

I think the film moved along very well and the 3 hours time frame was not a factor. Highly recommended!
Old 06-18-00, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't really understand the complaints
that the movie is "too long." Yes, it's
longer than the average movie, but it's
as long as it needs to be, no more, no
less.

It's like that scene in Amadeus, where
Mozart is told that one of his pieces
has "too many notes" and Mozart seems
kind of baffled. "Which notes am I to
take out? The piece is as long as it
needs to be." (I'm not saying that's an
exact quote, but that's the general idea.)
The Green Mile is as long as the story
requires. I don't really know what, in
the film, could be considered extraneous?

But I really did enjoy the story, so I
was happy with the movie.
Old 06-19-00, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,222 Posts
Watched this title on Saturday. I shan't try and convince anyone as to whether or not it is too long (although I tend to agree with mersaulte's sentiments) but the DVD is simply fantastic. Average extras but the audio and video are exquisite.

------------------
HELP! MY TYPEWRITER IS BROKEN! - E.E. CUMMINGS
Old 06-19-00, 10:36 PM

I am not a stephen king fan and I have not even seen the "Shawshank Redemption" yet(I have not receive this movie from reel.com, or I should say buy.com). I was afraid that this movie will be too boring. It is not at all. I never even feel that it took three hours. Now I am glad I bought it. Great movie! I'll watch it again next week.
Old 06-20-00, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Fabulous movie, screenplay, and acting. I've watched it 3 times now on DVD and still enjoy it. A fine addition to any collection...particularly if you are a fan of King stories.

------------------
My DVD List
Old 06-20-00, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Roger Ebert said something along these lines: "As long as I am enjoying the movie, it doesn't matter how long it is. A good movie can never be too long and a bad movie can never be too short."
I completely agree with him. In fact, he was speaking of the Green Mile when he said this. The time flew by for me as I watched this. Probably because I was so entranced with it. Great movie.

------------------
I am Jack's signature.

My very tiny, but ever-growing DVD list.
Old 06-20-00, 11:18 AM

Put me and the missus down as loved it and bawled our peepers out.

Old 06-21-00, 09:30 PM

Anyone who doesn't like this movie needs therapy....
Old 06-21-00, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I only cared about Mr. Jingles.

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs
Old 06-22-00, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Have to agree that this was a very good film. I was a little unsure of how it would translate from the novel to the screen, so we rented it on the street date (besides, I had six free rentals from BB to use by June 30th). Anyway, my wife and I enjoyed it completely. So we purchased it soon after returning the free rental copy....

I agree with those stating that the 3 hour length was not a detriment. Some 3 hour movies seem to take forever to reach a climax, The Green Mile pacing by Darabount was just perfect. Even watching late at night, we couldn't stop until the end. The execution scenes appeared well designed, the animal effect (both live and f/x) were great, and the texture of the film just captured my attention. Overall, a great second film from Darabount... Just wondering when Steve is going to write a third prison story for Frank...

Wayne

PS: Also have to agree that the menu graphics are highly pixalated, though I am sure that this a result of space considerations given the length of the film. Still think that the menu could have been encoded better to minimize the jaggedness... Oh well, pretend it was an intention attempt to create an "otherworldly" quality.....

(edited to indicate purchase....)

[This message has been edited by wlmowery (edited June 22, 2000).]