Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review wanted: The Endless Summer

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review wanted: The Endless Summer

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-00, 12:16 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How is the picture/sound? Is it any improvement over the VHS? I will only buy it if it is a beautiful clean transfer, otherwise I will stick with my old VHS since the DVD has no features. I alway wish Criterion had done something with this title and have a new commentary by Bruce Brown reflecting back on the film 30 years later.
Old 06-18-00, 05:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pants,

I haven't had a chance to watch my copy of Endless Summer yet, but wanted to put in a word for the other Bruce Brown releases that Image has put out (or will soon put out) to supplement Endless Summer. They're more raw than Endless Summer, to be sure, but have the same spirit, and for the most part have recently recorded narration from Brown, which sort of feels like a commentary track. You can find my review of Barefoot Adventure at www.digitallyOBSESSED.com.

------------------
My DVD's
Old 06-18-00, 07:00 PM

I saw the copy that my friend had and while the picture is clearer than his VHS, the sound quality is about the same. It still is an old film and made on a modest budget so I really didn't expect a lot for a "newly restored" surfing movie. I would say that if your VHS looks fine and is not worn out, keep it.
Old 06-19-00, 06:36 PM
Cool New Member

The picture is crisp and the sound is very good. I was hoping for an alternate Stereo Soundtrack Remix with maybe a 40 years later narration by Bruce Brown but, alas, it's in the original mono (Not at all a bad thing, btw). There are no extras (a few Bruce Brown shorts like the one's shown on AMC's American Pop would've been nice). The Chapter stops are appropriate. All in all, it's great to have this one on DVD. I'm planning on getting Barefoot Adventure next...