Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

I liked Dogma, sould I buy Clerks, Mallrats and Chasing Amy?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

I liked Dogma, sould I buy Clerks, Mallrats and Chasing Amy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-00, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I watched my Dogma DVD this week and I really liked it. One of the best movies I've seen on DVD in the last few months. The dialoges are incredibly funny and the whole feel of the movie is just great, the 128 minutes went by before I knew it.
I liked it so much, I want to see more Kevin Smith movies. But as they're not the cheapest DVD's around (especially Clerks), I'd like to know what the changes are I will like them too.
Old 05-11-00, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should *definitely* buy Clerks and Chasing Amy. Mallrats (even though I love it) is not what one would consider a great movie. However it is funny and has the typical great Kevin Smith dialogue. Rent this one first to see if its your cup of tea.

Clerks is a fantastic look inside the customer service industry -- if you have ever had a crappy job where you couldn't say what you wanted to all of the dub people in the world, just look to Randal.

Chasing Amy is an honest and fresh look at Ninties relationships and how perceptions about past ones can ruin current ones.

Hope this helps out; also look to http://www.viewaskew.com for more information on all four.
Old 05-11-00, 04:43 PM
Banned

Yes. Buy them. I think Dogma his is worst film (and I think Dogma's pretty good). I'd rank them:

1. Chasing Amy
2. Clerks
3. Mallrats
4. Dogma
Old 05-11-00, 06:18 PM
Cool New Member

I would highly recommend Chasing Amy, and Clerks. Although I love Mallrats, Claire Forlani makes me cringe every time she speaks. Not a very convincing performance. I like her just fine when she's not butchering her lines.

burner77

[This message has been edited by burner77 (edited May 11, 2000).]
Old 05-11-00, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Clerks is damn funny!
People say the CE rocks,
But it's priced quite high.

Mallrats was okay
Ran too long, began to suck,
Stupid ending, too.

Chasing Amy sucked!
Too much sordid squabbling
For my cultured tastes.

For all three of these,
I'd advise Blockbuster first
Before Reel.com!

- David Stein
Old 05-11-00, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I liked Clerks a lot. Mallrats is pretty funny, and has great extras. Haven't seen Chasing Amy.

I'd rank them Clerks, Dogma, Mallrats.
Old 05-11-00, 11:49 PM
Banned

Yes, Salaman, I recommend all 3. If you liked Dogma, you will most likely find the other 3 as hilarious, if not more.

Good luck.

------------------
The Decline
Old 05-12-00, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Haven't seen Dogma yet but I'd rank the other three this way:

1. Chasing Amy
2. Clerks
3. Mallrats

------------------
The bane of my existence monetary wise
Old 05-12-00, 05:29 AM

I'd say definitely pick them up. I'm among those who'd rate Mallrats as Smith's worst film so far--and it ain't all that bad. The dialogue's funny, the biggest problem seems to be the actors just not being quite "on" about it. Timing or something. But the DVD makes it very worthwhile anyway--the commentary track is funnier than most comedies ever manage to be.
Old 05-12-00, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Let's be fair...
Buy Mallrats IMMEDIATLY, if only for Jason Lee's performance that started his career.
You might not like the rest of the cast, but it's Lee's show, and HIS 'timing' is dead on.

I'd rank them:
Clerks
Mallrats
Chasing Amy
Dogma

Uh...I just rated them in order, huh?
Hmmm.
Old 05-12-00, 06:34 PM
Banned

Yeah...you did.

------------------
The Decline
Old 05-12-00, 07:32 PM
Modfather

I guess I'm getting old, because I thought Mallrats was better than Clerks. Clerks bored me... As a matter of fact, I didn't even finish Clerks. It seemed to me that with Clerks he was "trying" to make the dialogue funny, but it seemed rushed, unnatural, and the actors were bad. Truthfully, I thought both were average films, but who am I? Answer: an old fart
Old 05-14-00, 04:46 AM

Kevin Smith makes two kinds of movies. Movies about people who like comic books and comic book movies. So far, he always does the former better, although Dogma was an interesting spin on the latter(I never knew that Catholic theology and comic book lore went hand in hand so well). Mallrats was a bad example of the latter category. And Weapon X, I know we are only talking opinions here, so I would never call yours wrong, but I have a slightly different take on Jason Lee. When I saw Mallrats, I was shocked at how bad he was. In fact, I was pissed off that he ruined all the best lines in the movie. When I saw Chasing Amy, I was shocked again. I don't know if he had had acting lessons or what, but I really liked him in it(and he wasn't bad in Dogma either). Enough of this rant and time to rank these flicks.

1.Chasing Amy
2.Clerks
3.Mallrats(a distant distant third)

I'm not sure where I'd put Dogma on this list. I'm tempted to put it slightly above Clerks, but I can't be sure. It is pretty raw, but worth checking out.
Old 05-14-00, 05:51 AM

Here's how I would rank them..

1. Clerks
2. Dogma
3. Chasing Amy
4. Mallrats
Old 05-15-00, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
I never saw Dogma, but I am in agreement with sfsdfd. Clerks was awesome and Chasing Amy sucked. I would rate Mallrats a little higher than sfsdfd did (good but not great).

[This message has been edited by Red Dog (edited May 15, 2000).]
Old 05-16-00, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 416 Posts
You just gotta love how people have such different opinions. I liked Dogma a lot, first of all. Second, I gotta wholeheartedly disagree with Red Dog and sfsdfd about Chasing Amy. I thought it was the best movie that I saw in 1998... That having been said, however, you must realize that it is a dramatic movie. It is very funny, but it is not a straight comedy with a few serious scenes, a la Dogma. Rather it is a more serious, "real" movie, with a lot of funny as hell scenes...
Old 05-16-00, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

**MINI-SPOILER**
The "let's shout at each other in the parking lot" scene annoyed the hell out of me. The shockingly bad acting and ridiculous length of the scene made it painful to watch. The rest of the movie was forgettable. Skip this one and go for One Fine Day (surprisingly good, light-hearted romance) or The Night Porter (granddaddy of warped and twisted relationship films!)

- David Stein
Old 05-22-00, 02:46 PM

I loved Mallrats. I think Jason Lee is brilliant. And I loved how it was kind of like a weird version of an action adventure movie, set in a mall. It was really good.
Clerks was great, but I found that the "real" dialogue was so overdone that it was unrealistic. Nobody really talks that way. In 7 minute speeches about customers problems. It felt too much like a play. But it was great.
I loved Dogma too. A very pro christianity message wrapped in an anti-organization package. I was impressed.

1.Mallrats
2.Dogma
3.Clerks
4.Chasing Amy
Old 05-23-00, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

All are great but DOGMA had the best dialogue yet (in my opinion)
Old 05-23-00, 10:04 PM

Dogma was a distant forth for me -- just a little too sacreligious. However, I loved the other three and would advise you to buy them ASAP!

1.Clerks
2.Chasing Amy
3.Mallrats
4.Dogma
Old 05-24-00, 01:04 AM

clerks was pretty funny but mallrats was great with jason lee. chasing amy had it's moments but i think ben affleck was weak in it.
Old 06-07-00, 03:51 AM
Hoc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I loved Dogma -- the wit, the irreverence, and the avant-garde nature of the whole thing was great. I had many belly laughs right through the whole thing. The concept of a pissed off angel carrying people 100 or so feet in the air and dropping them on the concrete was great. Lines like, "Any fool can light a few fires. Do you know how hard it is to rain down sulfur?!!??" Amazing. Very creative, original movie.

Mallrats, on the other hand, was a clear "B" movie that was OK for that genre, but nothing special. I noted nothing original, nor particularly funny, in it. I have not yet seen Clerks or Chasing Amy.
Old 06-07-00, 10:57 AM
Banned

Hey Hoc, do yourself a favor my friend and order Clerks and Chasing Amy today. They are both much, much better than Mallrats; they're just as smart and funny as Dogma, plus both disks are loaded just like the Mallrats one (also keep your eye out for a Dogma SE this fall). If you hurry you can still pre-order Chasing Amy for 40% somewhere.
Old 06-07-00, 02:13 PM

Purchased and watched Dogma last night and I thought it was hilarious. Being a victim of a private Catholic School education and enduring a childhood of nuns and priests telling me everything I did was bad or immoral, I loved the skewering of the "faith" Great movie. Can't wait to watch it again.

1.Dogma
2.Clerks
3.Mallrats
Haven't seen Chasing Amy.
Old 06-07-00, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts
Clerks = pretty good
Mallrats = average
Chasing Amy = poor
Dogma = bomb...

Yes there is a trend here folks. There's more
to a film than witty dialogue. Kevin Smith
should stick to writing, he has absolutely no
talent as a director.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.