Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review wanted: Twister dts

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review wanted: Twister dts

Old 06-08-00, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey there. I went out of my way several months ago to buy the now oop twister. I love the movie, and I thought the dd 5.1 was a well mastered track. I am a fanatic about dts, so I know I should buy it, but I don't want to have 2 copies sitting around and mess with ebay. But.....I really want to know how it sounds compared to the old twister. Any reviews would be great. Thanks!
Old 06-08-00, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
The DTS is much cleaner than the DD, IMO. The vocals aren't as harsh, they are much cleaner-sounding and smoother. It is louder, too, for somereason. DTS is always louder... But, it sounds much better. Cleaner, smoother vocals, and the bass (can't forget the bass) is richer and deeper, not as pounding and harsh as the DD can be. AND, the new Twister has a cleane picture. It is not as grainy.
Old 06-08-00, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just watched it although I'll admit I mostly just watched the tornado scenes and then all of the special features. There are a couple of short documentaries that aren't too bad - they give you a little more appreciation of what went into making this. There is a Van Halen video on the disc also. I haven't listened to the commentary.

I pretty much agree with everything shaun3000 says. There seems to be a bigger difference between the DD and DTS mixes on this one than I've heard on other titles. I also thought the bass was more realistic...the DD version is cool too but gets a lot of the excitement out of just rumbling. From the very beginning scene the sound of the DTS version is more involving. It gives you a much better impression of wind swirling around you. The use of the rear speakers seems a lot more prominent to me...you hear little things, small noises that add to the realism. The hail and other noises are very well done and the dialog is easier to hear above all the other noise.

I would obtain this if you're a DTS fan and just Ebay or Half.com the other. This version has both soundtracks and with the other features makes the first edition obsolete. As mentioned above, the transfer is better too, quite a bit really although it probably depends on your TV set how much of a difference you see there.

Old 06-12-00, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,010 Likes on 616 Posts
i watched my copy last night. if you are a fanatic about DTS, definitely pick up this disc. it has one of the best 5.1 soundtracks that i own. the bass is clear & clean while the use of surrounds are often & sometimes quite loud (lots of surrounds are normally just subtle). very enjoyable disc with lots of new extras.
Old 06-12-00, 11:06 PM
RVN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I noticed a big improvement in animated menus and extra features ...the first Twister DVD had none. The two making of featurettes were okay, not great. The commentary was enjoyable and upbeat. The Dolby Digital 5.1 is much improved over the original in terms of dialog normalization and bass. The video looked sharper, less grainy, which was a common criticism of the first Twister DVD.

I talked myself into buying the newer release because you never know when DVDs might wear out. Plus, now I've got a second copy to loan out or throw in the laptop as a portable and not worry about aging it as much.

RVN