DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

The Groove Tube?

Old 06-10-00, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw this in a Towerrecords B&M today and was wondering if anyone was brave enough to buy it and what you thought of it. It looked like from the box it was probably P&S and I have never heard of the company that put it out.

I saw this in a theater back in the early/mid 70's as a teenager. I remember something about a gorrilla and the sex olympics and a young Richard Belzer.
Old 06-11-00, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I picked this one up: it was a video favorite when I was younger and one of those movies I thought would NEVER be on DVD.

I am not sure what the original aspect ratio of this movie was. A few of the segments are letterboxed but the majority is full-frame. However, the picture does not seem cropped and no noticable panning, so perhaps it wasn't filmed in a very wide ratio.

Given the age and low budget of the film, the DVD actually looks pretty good. Some people on the Home Theater Forum were talking about it, and apparently even in the theater the quality of this film was not stellar. While definitely not a candidate for any transfer awards, it looks MUCH better than I recall it ever looked on VHS.

Many of the segments of this film now seems somewhat dated, but some also hold up pretty well and would still be considered risque. This DVD can be had pretty cheap and I recommend it to fans of Kentucky Fried Movie type films. Apparently this film was an early inspiration for Saturday Night Live and it features a very early appearance by Chevy Chase.

------------------
My DVDs

Old 06-12-00, 01:36 PM

Same here, I never thought I would see Groove Tube on DVD. Picked it up at my Tower- transfer quality is OK, better than a worn out VHS copy. Includes trailer and chapter search. Worth every penny for Safety Sam, Kramp TV Kitchen (still has me laughing so hard I cry) and the great Curtis Mayfield song "Move On Up".

------------------
"I don't have any time for your demented parlor games!"- HS