Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

How are Chow Yun Fat's Lesser-Known Movies?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

How are Chow Yun Fat's Lesser-Known Movies?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-00, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was hoping someone could rate these lesser-known movies of his:

DIARY OF A BIG MAN
THE LUNATICS
SPIRITUAL LOVE
WHY ME?
SCARED STIFF
EIGHTH HAPPINESS
A HEARTY RESPONSE
FLAMING BROTHERS
THE SEVENTH CUPSE
FRACTURED FOLLIES

I've seen The Killer, Hard Boiled, A Better Tommorrow 1, 2 and (unfortunately) 3, Replacement Killers, Corruptor, etc. and like MOST of the stuff, and was considering buying more. I'm reluctant to rent, because for $5-8 more, I can buy most of them, because places discount these not as popular movies. I really didn't like All About Ah Long (I know, I know, a lot of people here loved it), but liked The Greatest Lover, although it was a little too silly as times, like many HK comedies seem to me.

Thanks in advance for you opinions!

Paul
Old 05-16-00, 01:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I haven't seen too many of these, but I'll fill in where I can:

DIARY OF A BIG MAN -- On the way
THE LUNATICS -- Haven't seen
SPIRITUAL LOVE -- Haven't seen
WHY ME? -- Haven't seen
SCARED STIFF -- Haven't seen
EIGHTH HAPPINESS -- On the way
A HEARTY RESPONSE -- Haven't seen
FLAMING BROTHERS -- Haven't seen
THE SEVENTH CUPSE -- (Curse ) Glad I rented it. I have to admit I'm not a big horror fan to begin with, but this movie REALLY stank. It had an interesting enough premise I guess, but the execution of it left a lot to be desired in my mind...

FRACTURED FOLLIES -- This isn't too bad, as far as comedies go. It is interesting to watch Hard Boiled or Replacement Killers and then pop this one in to see CYF in a chicken suit

<hr>
Some you didn't mentioned that I like:
Hong Kong 1941 -- GREAT drama about 3 friends in HK during the Japanese invasion.

Autumn's Tale -- Romantic comedy where CYF plays an avg joe trying to get by in NY's China Town trying to help a recent imigrant acclimate to the US.

The Occupant -- Another comedy this time more along the lines of Ghostbuster... OK maybe more like the Ghost and Mr. Chicken (no pun intended w/ the previous chicken comment). This isn't the best movie in the world, but it worth a rental atleast, if for no other reason than to see CYF in something different.

Some more action recommendations for you too:
City on Fire -- Similar to Resevior Dogs

City War -- been to long since I've seen it. It's pretty much a standard revenge flic IIRC. Not the best, but not too bad.

Tiger on Beat - rent first. Tries to be a HK Leathal Weapon. Emphasis on tries.

Once a Thief -- GREAT movie. CYF and two friends are high stakes thieves. Good mix of emotion/comedy/action.

Full Contact -- Pretty standard CYF action flix, worth a rental though (if not purchase).

Hope that helps... BTW here's some sites I found that may help you on the other ones: http://www.public.asu.edu/~muldoon/hk/ http://www.brns.com http://home.netvigator.com/~iyoungs/hongkong.html

[This message has been edited by nemein (edited May 15, 2000).]
Old 05-16-00, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
The only 1 I've seen on your list is The Seventh Curse & I must warn you that CYF is barely in it & when he is, does little more than smoke a pipe. This movie really stars Chin Siu Ho from Mr. Vampire & Tai Chi Master (both great). It's full of cornball monsters & fun gore.

1 that I love that isn't on your list is Full Contact. Irresistably over-the-top villians & loads of memorable dialogue. & a pretty cool bullet cam.
Old 05-16-00, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the opinions. Actually, all the ones you list, I've seen, and didn't need the opinions on except The Occupant. I just was too lazy to list them all. Thanks though!
Old 05-28-00, 05:48 PM

Hi p1forest,

My 2 cents:

DIARY OF A BIG MAN - Liked this film, I thought it was very funny. It's one of CYF's better comedy films, IMHO. If you liked The Greatest Lover, I'm sure you'll like this one.

THE LUNATICS - CYF is in this one for about 10 minutes. It's a film about well, lunatics. The film is more like a semi-documentary than a real movie. I like it though.

SPIRITUAL LOVE - I thought this was an ok movie, nothing special about it.
Story revolves around CYF being in love with a ghost.

WHY ME? - Movie about a mentally impaired man, Chow has a supporting role in this one as the boyfriend of the social worker who is taking care of the guy.

SCARED STIFF - Hated this one.

EIGHTH HAPPINESS - A funny movie but I just can't stand Raymond Wong.

A HEARTY RESPONSE- Drama/Lovestory. Nothing special about it.

FLAMING BROTHERS - Good movie, lots of action with some drama.

Blay.
Old 05-28-00, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

- SPIRITUAL LOVE
Can't remember it that well but I enjoyed it. Had some sad moments I seem to recall.

- EIGHTH HAPPINESS
Quite hilarious but shallow plot . I guess some of the humour is a bit ridiculous though and may not be to your liking.

- THE SEVENTH CURSE
Saw the english dub of this and didn't really like it. I imagine that the original would be better. Sort of cheesey horror flick with some funny sfx.

- FRACTURED FOLLIES
Sitting on my shelf but haven't got round to watching it yet.

I also like Prison on Fire 1&2, definitely worth picking these two up.

Chris D
Old 05-30-00, 02:06 AM

Here's is my recommendation for Chow HK collection:
A better tomorrow
The killer
A diary of a big man
Fracture follies
Treasure hunt
Full contact
God of gamblers
God of gamblers return