Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Watched my 1st 007 movie. well, the 1st hour!

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Watched my 1st 007 movie. well, the 1st hour!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-00, 12:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I rented 007 "The World is not enough", expecting an action packed movie. I only got to watch the 1st hour so far.

I can't believe the moves and getaways he pulls off. Going under water in a boat, jumping from a building attached to a string (that is perfect length), falling hundreds of feet and not suffering any major injuries.

The whole movie I (my brother also) was saying "yeah right", "bull$hit", "that could never happen"

Are you suppose to have an imagination when watching a 007 movie? My father used to find flaws in movies as we watched them. Might be why I see so much "impossible" things in The World is not enough.

I'll finish the rest of the movie tonight.

Jonathan

------------------
$1,287.99 worth of dvd's for $306.66 <> click for the list!
Old 05-26-00, 12:50 PM

Bond has always been over the top. The stunts have gotten more ridiculous the longer the series has gone on. Since you haven't seen other Bond movies, I would suggest a "classic" one like Goldfinger to get a feel for what it started as.
Old 05-26-00, 02:12 PM

You don't appear to entirely understand the concept of 007. He is meant to be the perfect British gentleman. And the fact that he never gets hurt, is what has turned into such a cult figure. You've probably watched Scream, and T2.....hmmmmmm...the cogs are turning..............
Old 05-26-00, 02:29 PM

Hey TdHtXs,

Take it from a next door neighbor here in Bluffton.....you're missing out on all the fun when you're watching 007!!

It's called "suspension of disbelief." Try it....and you'll enjoy Bond and a lot of other stuff a whole lot more. Don't sit and try to pick apart the movies, relax and soak them in. He's SUPPOSED to escape all of those stunts unharmed.....he's James Bond, for pete's sake.

Also.....whatever you do.....DO NOT START OUT WITH A PIERCE BROSNAN MOVIE!! Brosnan is OK....but you're missing out on many of the classic Bond characters (the original "M", "Q" at his peak, the original Moneypenny, Jaws, Oddjob, etc.....)

You need to start out with Moore or Connery (preferebly Connery; I'll second Dr.D and recommend "Goldfinger"). Make sure you see all of the Moore and Connery movies FIRST, then move on to the others. If it was me, I'd watch 'em in chronological order.

Even critics like Leanord Maltin give many of the Bond films high marks. Give 'em a fair shot before you judge 'em. They sure beat the heck out of anything playing at your local movie theater, that's for sure.
Old 05-26-00, 02:36 PM

yeah...007 is so fake...
good think movies with wookies are right on point.
Old 05-26-00, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Galactus:
Hey TdHtXs,

If it was me, I'd watch 'em in chronological order.

<HR>

took the words right out of my mouth. i definitely think you should start with Dr. No & go right thru if you are just introducing yourself to Bond. you can see the progression of over the top stunts, sarcastic dialogue & one-liners, & gadgets & such.

Dr. No starts out pretty simply with no gadgets, few one-liners, & a semi-believeable plot (for Bond films that is). then the gadgets get introduced in From Russia With Love, more one-liners, little bit more over the top action, & then it each increased a little more until you have movies like Moonraker & TWINE, which are far removed from reality but in my opinion, very enjoyable (especially when you know what the character of James Bond is about, at least the movie version).
Old 05-26-00, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
If you think TWINE was bad, then you should see Moonraker. Yeah, I'm supposed to believe the US had Space Marines in the 70s when they can't even land a probe on Mars in 1999.
Old 05-26-00, 05:41 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
These aren't documentaries, dude. Just sit back and enjoy the ride!
Old 05-26-00, 06:40 PM

Actually, Cartload, our space program probably WAS more competent back in the 70s. We have kinda regressed somewhat since.

Personally, I thought "Moonraker" was a lot of fun......even when I saw it for the first time back in '79 at the movie theater. Listen to Groucho......just enjoy 'em, man! It's all in fun!
Old 05-26-00, 06:57 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When watching Roger Moore's turn, I would start with the Spy Who Loves Me, Moonraker and/or For Your Eyes Only.

Except for Never Say Never Again, I don't think Connery made a bad Bond movie.

And you're really missing out on a lot of the Bond genre if you aren't seeing the Ken Adams sets. Just amazing what this guy put together.

Can't wait for the rest of the Connery flicks with set #3.

------------------
David, Moderator of the Other Forum
I laughed, I cried, my life was changed: The Other Forum
My DVDs and HT Email: [email protected]
Old 05-26-00, 06:58 PM

The thing that I like about Bond movies is that many of the gadgets/concepts first appeared in the movies eventually become reality. Like the Seiko watch that punched out a message (in The Spy Who Loved Me) is the grand daddy of alphanumeric pagers. The shuttles and space station were operational in Moonraker before they do in real time, etc.
Old 05-27-00, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I can't watch the Roger Moore "Bond" movies anymore. But I really liked the Connery films. The Dalton films were so-so, too run-of-the-mill/pedestrian Bond-by-the-numbers. I like Brosnan as Bond, too bad he got stuck with that Remington Steele gig when he was offered the chance to play 007 in the mid-80's, Brosnan could be on his 6-8 007 film by now, he'd really own the part.

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs
Old 05-28-00, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bond, Jim Bond.
Old 05-28-00, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think some good points have been made here, especially by brianluvdvd and Blade. You have to take the series and the character for what they are. Bond is supposed to be the perfect spy who can get out of any jam without getting so much as a scratch. I think allot of the spy/action movies that have come out over the last three decades have been influenced by the Bond movies. I think it is a testament to Ian Flemings penmanship and the original scripts as well as the acting, stunts etc. that have made the series last this long and still going strong - 19 films and still more to come. I too have both box sets and can't wait for the third one. I am planning to watch them in succession from first to last and just watched Dr. NO a couple of days ago, although I will have to wait for the third set in order to do this. I also agree that the earlier ones starring Connery and Moore were the best ones, especially as they were based on Ian Flemings original books, as well as Connery and Moores acting. Connery has so far been the most appropriate actor for the part with Moore and Brosnan coming close and Dalton and Lazenby far behind, although OHMSS was a pretty decent film.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.