Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: "Most Dangerous Game"

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: "Most Dangerous Game"

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-00, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How is this title? I've seen it selling at 40% off an already relatively low Criterion price. Generally I like Criterion's titles and I like the extras (which this one seems to have, despite the low price). So ... is it worth spending $10 to buy it?
Old 02-09-00, 10:59 AM

Runngdog, yes, I think it's worth $10. I watched the movie last week and thought it was fun. Very campy, especially the acting (or over-acting). I didn't find it to be all that suspenseful but if you like the less-than-realistic look of movies like King Kong, you'll like this one, too. The only extra is a commentary by a film scholar but it's quite informative and less dry than I had expected.
Old 02-14-00, 10:04 PM

Where have you seen this selling for ten bucks?
Old 05-25-00, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts
i watched my copy of this tonight & i really enjoyed it. one of the few really old movies that did not come close to putting me to sleep.

i read the story in high school & always thought that it was interesting. bought it on a whim sight unseen off half.com for under $10 & it was well worth it.

if you enjoyed King Kong, then i think you would like this one. only extra is a commentary & i did not listen to it yet. the transfer is pretty good for a movie released in 1932 & the sound is mono of course but it is clear.

the acting is 1930's acting but the film is still enjoyable. i found that the jungle scenes were really fast paced & exciting even today. i cant imagine what the 1930's audience thought.

if you have considered this title, check it out. it is at least worth a rental. it is one of the least expensive of the Criterion Collection.
Old 05-25-00, 05:26 AM
Topgun94

I picked this one up for $15 during the Buy.com free shipping promo and really liked it. The Commentary is very good and the film is very impresive. For the reasonable price it is worth picking up.

------------------
Aaron
My DVD Collection
My Rather Small Laserdisc Collection
Old 05-25-00, 10:22 AM

I agree with the above comments. The commentary is very good and helps to make it more of a bargain.

Watching this, though, makes me really wish King Kong was available on DVD (this film was made during some Kong production delays by the same team).
Old 05-26-00, 04:49 AM

This is quite a fun movie that is easily worth $10. The commentary is great, and the sound and video is very good.

------------------
"Home is where the theater is!"
Old 05-26-00, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think it is a solid DVD. For 1932, the transfer is wonderful. It is only about 1 hour in length, but it is a good movie. It is easily worth $14-$15, so $10 would be a steal.

Craig

------------------
My Homepage

DVDTracker List
Old 05-26-00, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
I have to agree with all the above comments.
If you don't mind the "theatrical" acting this is an excellent film. The commentary
is very informative and it will make you
want to see King Kong (the original) since
the same set(s) were used for the jungle
scenes.
Old 05-26-00, 01:34 PM

Funny the way these threads live on. I posted this review request back in early February and purchased MDG a few days later (from DVD Express - at that time $14.97 less a $5 coupon w/ free shipping), based on the comments posted here. No regrets -- definitely worth the money.

Funny now to see the same thread rear its ugly head months later -- and get a much bigger response than when first posted. The DVD Talk population must be expanding rapidly.