DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review wanted: Deep Red

Old 05-02-00, 10:27 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, ive heard this is a great disc, and im considering buying it, but i need to get some opinions on the film. Ive never seen a dario argento film. Is this one good? its a little old....is it still good in todays standards?

Any thoughts appreciated.

------------------
"The worst performance of my career and they never doubted it for a second"

-- Ferris Bueller
Old 05-02-00, 03:09 PM
Cool New Member

Deep Red and Tenebrae are considered Dario Argento's best films. I think Deep Red has the edge, though. The one thing a person new to Argento films has to know is that they're not really horror films for the most part. They're super stylish, bloody murder mysteries.

Deep Red is a masterpiece and the new disc is just brilliant. The sound remix and picture quality are sweet. I have at least 5 different copies of this film on VHS in varying lengths (and languages) and this one blows them all away. Since the disc was put together with the only elements available (making it the longest existing version available anywhere), some scenes are played in Italian language with English Subtitles optional. It might be a bit jarring for anyone not expecting it, but I had no problems. There's also been some talk online bashing the new end credit sequence, but if you've never seen the film before you won't miss anything (although it would have been nice to have the original on there, it's true).

A little old? That hurts my heart. I suppose it is a little old, but it's only a couple of years older than Halloween and Dawn of the Dead. It's a very influential film that deserves to be seen.
Old 05-02-00, 04:18 PM
Cool New Member

I have to agree with the Schmilsson about this movie in regards to both the disc and the film itself. I first saw it twenty years ago and it has stayed with me for all this time. The film is ultra stylish without being MTV-ish and is genuinely scary. The one thing about Argento's movies is that they often require more than one viewing to get all the details. For most of his films, my initial reaction was one of mixed feelings, but they made strong enough impressions for me to watch them a second time. That is when everything seemed to click with me. If there is one exception to that rule, Deep Red is it. It has become my all-time favorite thriller. Highly recommended.

Old 05-02-00, 04:53 PM

Argento's films are better than most of the modern crop of horror flicks. They have a unique style that's missing from horror these days.

Deep Red is an excellent disc. The audio and video are great and there's a few extras (interviews, trailers.)

------------------
-Jason
My DVDs
My Adult DVDs
Old 05-02-00, 06:43 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

I reviewed both Deep Red and Inferno for DVD Talk ... they should be posted soon.

------------------
MY DVD LIBRARY: A study in addiction
MY DVD TALK REVIEWS: Blood, Breasts and Beasts
Old 05-02-00, 10:23 PM
Cool New Member

Okay, youve all convinced me. Ill buy it using a visitalk coupon.

Thanks for the replys

------------------
"The worst performance of my career and they never doubted it for a second"

-- Ferris Bueller