Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Which commentary better? LD version of EASY RIDER w/Hopper and Fonda, or DVD w/Hopper

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Which commentary better? LD version of EASY RIDER w/Hopper and Fonda, or DVD w/Hopper

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-00, 03:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I noticed on the LD, the audio commentary track has Hopper and Fonda, BUT the DVD version has Hopper going solo. Now which audio comemmentary verison is more insightful and enjoyable? Or should I buy both?
Old 03-28-00, 04:15 PM

I haven't seen the LD version, but I finally got around to watching the DVD within the last couple of days, and I think it's great. The commentary by Hopper has lots of LONG pauses, but is pretty insightful.

The documentary, Shaking the Cage, includes lots of info. about the making of Easy Rider, and features Hopper, Fonda, Karen Black, Luke Askew, Laslo Kovacs, and others. It's almost like an abbreviated commentary in the way that it follows the film. I don't know whether Shaking the Cage was included on the LD, but it easily ranks as one of the best documentaries I've seen.

The DVD also has great image and, to a lesser extent, sound quality. Highly recommended for anyone with an interest in the film.

Pete
Old 03-28-00, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whats weird is that I used to own the LD, and although I can recall some of what Dennis Hopper said, I don't even remember Peter Fonda contributing anything. When you said that Fonda was on the LD, I had look it up to confirm it. Apparently he was on it, but I guess all he did was mumble his agreement with Hopper occasionally. Hopper was the only one with anything to say. In light of what Pete A says about the documentary, which the LD lacks, I'd say go for the DVD. I couldn't tell you if they re-recorded Hopper alone or just took out Fonda. Either way, I wouldn't make that a deciding factor because it wasn't a memorable commentary the first time around anyway.

Here's an old review of the LD: http://www.dvdlaser.com/cf/detail.cfm?ID=4270
Old 04-29-00, 05:52 PM

Well I finally decided to listen to BOTH versions. VERY interesting! Fonda does bring up stuff that Hopper shruggs off in the LD version, and in the NEWLY recorded audio track, Hooper does not mention MOST of the stuff Fonda mentions, which I thought was interesting. Little details Fonda mentioned got omitted, as if Hopper didnt like Fonda pointing it at first, so he is trying to forget it perhaps? Like how bitter rivals wount want to mention something the other will get a credit for? i know these two arent best of friends anymore, and thats why on the LD fonda was there watchign the movie during the recording BUT hopper did it over the phone! So thats why Hopper doesnt really say as much as Fonda, yet Hopper speaks better than Fonda so that is probably why hopper is more memorable! Best to own both IMHO!