Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

My review: The Frighteners (Recommended)

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

My review: The Frighteners (Recommended)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-00, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
Title: Frighteners, The

Comedy and horror mixed into one?!?

Studio: Universal

Special Features and worth mentioning:
  • Production notes
  • Cast & Filmmaker's Bios
  • Film Highlights
  • Theatrical trailer
  • 2.35:1 aspect ratio
  • Dolby Surround in French
  • Single layer disc
  • Time on disc is 1 Hour 50 Minutes
  • Amaray casing[/list]
    Quality of dvd video and sound:

Image is superb, very sharp..all in all..a top notch image. Sound is awesome encoded in Dolby Digital. Get a widescreen television..open up that extra 33% anamorphic resolution..and you got yourself an outstanding progressive image that will knock the socks out of your guests or family members.

My thoughts on this dvd disc:

I saw the dvd cover to this movie at a retail store..and my eyes could not keep off of it. I turned the dvd box around..ahhh..it's Michael J. Fox. I mean I loved his performance in Back To The Future..but The Frighteners? Isn't this supposed to be horror? Dark? I mean Michael J. Fox is more of a comedian..that's what I know him for. So I got opinions across the net..and the sign I got was a "go"...go get it. I bought it..watched it with my wife...and it was a very enjoyable experience.

I was very very impressed by the outstanding transfer and image! I could only imagine how stunning it will look if I owned a big spanky widescreen t.v, with a progressive dvd player. The sound was also rich in quality..superb. The opening sequence to this movie was so cool, and throughout the movie..it gets a bit...darker..and more terrorizing. I mean it's no exorcist..nothing like that..because there are spirits in this movie that perform comical stunts..and are Michael's homeboys..but the twist of the plot was the great catch. So far I have seen this disc 5 times. It's also one of those movies that you can describe as a "house-date for the first time" if you know what I mean (scare that cute date with this one..and watch her put her arms all over you). Though it has it's funny moments..it has it's dark moments also..a perfect blend. The acting was great, the sound and image was great..the entire cast was great..and most importantly, the plot and story was very nicely well done. All in all a Universal disc that deserves to get attention..and layed down among the other great dvds that you own.

-sonic<small>

Old 03-12-00, 12:38 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Just a note: the film was written and directed by Peter Jackson, whose next project is the big screen adaptation of "Lord of the Rings."
Old 03-12-00, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey great review sonic. i went ahead and picked it up form cduniverse with that coupon going on. i was with you on that cover. its image is...just well different and attractive at the same time. i like these styles of film so i know i will really enjoy it. i'm sure my 32" tv won't give it the justice it deserves though. i have a friend who works for a high end home theater company and they have just amazing big screen and projection screen setups so i will take it there to see the quality of the image. i can't wait to here it on my www.monitoraudio.com silver series speakers. i just can't get enough of this HT stuff.

chili
My Weak Collection So Far
Old 03-12-00, 09:59 AM

I love this film but haven't picked it up on DVD yet. I'm still waiting to see if niversal gets off their asses and releases the director's cut of the film, which has been released on laserdisc. Fangoria gave the regular print of this film great reviews, but they said the director's cut is much better (characters such as The Judge, who disappear all of a sudden are in the director's cut up until the end, and there were a few smaller plotlines cut from the film).

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~prefect.asp
Old 03-12-00, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
There is no Director's Cut planned from Universal on The Frighteners..so you're better off getting this..and I'm sure this one blows out the LD in image and sound.

Honestly..the image is superb..and I mean superb.
Old 03-12-00, 04:13 PM

Ford

Coincidentally, I'm currently listening to the Hitchhiker radio play.

Anyway, I was of the impression that the Judge was killed early on in the movie? I've never heard of the director's cut, but I did find this movie enjoyable. Do you have any other information about it?
Old 03-12-00, 04:38 PM

Al Infinitum,

remember the ghost dog? Well, after the Judge gets cut in half, he doesn't "die" in the director's cut (or in the script). He cmes back throughout the movie riding on the back of the ghost dog.

If you buy the soundtrack to the movie, there is a picture of Judge in the graveyard coming up through the hood of the police car that Dammer's steals. In the DC, Judge helps rescue the girls from Dammers, but that part was totally cut from the film, he also has several other scenes that were cut.

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~prefect.asp
Old 04-17-00, 07:27 PM

I liked this movie when it first came out in theatres. But then I rented it a couple weeks ago and it was a lot worse than I thought. It should have picked between comedy or horror, because it didn't really work. Also, most of the jokes in it were not very good. It could have been a lot better if it concentrated only on the horror.
Old 04-18-00, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This movie rocked! This was my first purchase of a dvd title that i did not see in the theaters. this is by far one of the best sounding flicks out there. great tight bass and image. the story was fresh, and the acting superb. good recommendation guys! pick it up.

My Weak Collection So Far
Old 04-18-00, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
This film was great (Jeffrey Combs had a great part). I am quite relieved that Jackson is directing the LoTR films. He's probably one of the few directors with an imagination.
Old 04-18-00, 02:46 PM

The reason that it hasn't been released as a CE yet is probably because the LD set had a FOUR HOUR documentary by Jackson on it. I can honestly say that it was superb and was never boring, so here's hoping for an eventual release. I'm sure that anyone who owns the LD set can attest to its coolness.
Old 04-20-00, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

and I'm sure this one blows out the LD in image and sound

Actually, the 5.1 soundtrack on the DVD is the same on as the Dolby Digital version of the LD. I don't think either one would blow away the dts version on LD

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.dvd-o-rama.com"" TARGET=_blank>DVD-O-Rama.com
DVD Reviews..with an attitude
[email protected]
Old 04-21-00, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I liked The Frighteners, but I think Peter Jackson got a little too ambitious, and tried to throw everything including the proverbial kitchen sink into the mix, thus, you keep asking yourself, is this a spooky ghost story, a comedy, a poignant drama, what?

It's many things to many people, to some it's great, to others, it sucks. It definitely makes the viewer make a choice, and good movie director will create films that get the audience involved, regardless of whether their reaction to the subject matter is good or bad.

And yes, the dts LD soundtrack is just plain fun and fantastic sounding over the DVD DD soundtrack.

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs