Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Anybody got Three Kings yet?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Anybody got Three Kings yet?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-00, 03:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dying to hear what this is like.A review would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-11-00, 09:57 AM

I somehow managed to get two copies in yesterday... The danger of preordering so early you forget. 8^/ Guess a trade at target is in order...

Anyway, the transfer is fine, though my cheap ass player (GE 1105 i got for $150) glitches in a few spots. Looks like the kids get a good Christmas present.

The movie is shot pretty rough, so it doesn't have a very beautiful look to begin with, but it works with the film. The sound is great. Two commentary tracks on the disk. Haven't had time to listen to them. Looks like more features than most.
Old 04-11-00, 06:41 PM

You can read my in-depth review at the link below.

DVD Review: Three Kings

[This message has been edited by DVDRules1 (edited April 11, 2000).]
Old 04-11-00, 09:44 PM
Banned

I was really amazed by this film, very entertaining. I can't wait to watch it again.

------------------
The Decline
Old 04-11-00, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Very cool movie, nice sound, good transfer (considering the look of the source material was intentionally grainy) and mind-boggling extras. One of the nicest day & date releases yet. It's awesome.
Old 04-11-00, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I really liked this movie; can't wait for my copy to arrive.
Old 04-12-00, 08:24 AM

I just watched this for the first time last night with high hopes based on the reviews that I had read. Boy was I really disappointed! With the Gulf War being so recent, I was expecting a very realistic portrayal of the War and the soldier that served there. Not so, they pretty much make it into a mockery. The acting was poor, I couldn't really connect with any character and was actually hoping that a couple of them would step on a mine just so I wouldn't have to listen to their ignorant dribble anymore.

*** possible spoiler ahead ***

For those that enjoyed the movie, what am I missing here? I realize the underlying theme of Bush turning his back on the Iraqi people. Yes it was great about the soldiers giving up the gold so that they could help out a few. But what is it about the movie and the way it got those points across that you enjoyed? Maybe I didn't enjoy it because I had such high expectations and it was so unrealistic, I don't know. But this one is going to be traded soon.
Old 04-12-00, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is an affecting, unique, and exciting film that does not play to standard war movie stereotypes. It is a huge preorder on these sites but it is not the Sixth Sense or the MAtrix: well-made, but mentally unchallenging, flicks that everyone can enjoy. Three Kings is the work of a filmmaker who is thinking about difficult issues and is not spoonfeeding pro-US jargon back to us. I always knew that this fantastic film would spark some "say what?" posts when it shipped (Can't wait to see what happens when everyone gets their Fight Club discs!)

Three Kings is fantastic, as is the wonderful disc.

------------------
My DVDs
buskerdog.com
Old 04-13-00, 09:17 PM

I just got it from amazon.com and loved it. Not bad, I would give it 8 out of 10. Very interesting story and realistic acting. highly recommended
Old 04-13-00, 09:24 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by myhabit:

For those that enjoyed the movie, what am I missing here? I realize the underlying theme of Bush turning his back on the Iraqi people. Yes it was great about the soldiers giving up the gold so that they could help out a few. But what is it about the movie and the way it got those points across that you enjoyed? Maybe I didn't enjoy it because I had such high expectations and it was so unrealistic, I don't know. But this one is going to be traded soon.
<HR>

Man, I think you missed the point. It was NOT intended to be like a realistic movie like Saving Private Ryan or something like that. It's more like a entertaining "war" movie + MTV type of camera + realistic plot/setting (with somehow unrealistic bla bla bla) + humor (hope you got that) + something you could think of after you watched the movie. I personally think it's a nice try but I could imagine why some people wouldn't enjoy it. I think it's because of your expectaion and your taste. If you like Run Lola run, I think you will like this movie.

Old 04-13-00, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
myhabit: hmm I remember the gulf war quite
well and, personally, I think it WAS a rather
good portrayal of what the war was about. It sure as heck wasn't about freedom & democracy. It was about economics pure and simple. And I, personally, think Three Kings got this point across pretty well. Of course you're free not to like it but don't dislike it because it wasn't honest about that conflict

Michael
Old 04-17-00, 06:31 PM

I think this is a really great DVD. It has tons of extras, including secret extras which you have to unlock. I also think that Three Kings happens to be one the best movies of last year. I don't want to get into an essay on it, but you people who have seen it and liked it know what I mean.
Old 04-17-00, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by cisgere:
I think this is a really great DVD. It has tons of extras, including secret extras which you have to unlock<HR>

Cool movie.

Could you please, cisgere, tell me where are the easter eggs? Thanks.
Old 04-17-00, 10:10 PM
Cool New Member

It has tons of extras, including secret extras which you have to unlock??? What secrets?
Old 04-18-00, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Click on the link below to get info on the hidden features/easter eggs:

http://www.dvdreview.com/html/hidden_features.shtml

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST