Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

which version of DEAD RINGER is better, Criterion or Anchor Bay?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

which version of DEAD RINGER is better, Criterion or Anchor Bay?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-00, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am assuming that the anchor bay version is better, because they probably did a much better transfer than criterion, who always seem to do sub par transfer lately. I want to own a copy of this film, which version should I order?
Old 03-28-00, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello,

The Anchor Bay version has been discontinued for quite some time. Your only choice is the Criterion edition.
Old 03-28-00, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's been a while since I compared them, but I remember them being very similar, with the Criterion having slightly better colors. Plus, the Criterion includes a director's commentary and a ton of other extras that are not on the Anchor Bay release.

zombie -- can I have a few examples of recent Criterion "sub par" transfers? Just curious, as I have yet to be disappointed by a Criterion title (and, more often than not, I'm amazed at the quality).

Old 03-28-00, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Go with the Criterion edition all the way. The Anchor bay version was released back when they where still the shitty company that issued The first edition of HALLOWEEN, the flipper edition of DAWN OF THE DEAD, and the putrid transfer of PROM NIGHT.

The Anchor Bay version appears to have been taken from the same source as the Criterion DVD, However the AB version has way too many compression artifacts. Also the color stability seems to be a little more acurate on the Criterion disc and the Video quality of the Criterion version just plain looks a bit cleaner.

Also the Criterion dvd includes a great running commentary from Cronenberg.