Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

My SLC Punk Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-00, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not really a review, just some random thoughts.

I've been into the punk scene for years now and this movie was just full of dumb cliches. I got the feeling that it was made by people who may not have been into the scene (I could be wrong about that though). It's basically a punk movie for the MTV crowd. The guy was obviously a poser punk all the way through, but it was nice to see he finally realised it at the end. Matthew Lilliard is very annoying. Overall I give it a 2/5. For a much better tale of punks in the early 80's, track down a copy of SUBURBIA.

Nosebleed

[This message has been edited by Nosebleed (edited March 21, 2000).]
Old 03-21-00, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the observations, Nosebleed. I'm an old NY hardcore myself (early 80's, when Beastie Boys had a girl drummer named Kate), so I was thinking about eventually picking up this title. Sounds like another caricature of punks a la Quincy MD, anti-slamming TV episode (or do young people call it moshing now? ).
Old 03-22-00, 09:04 AM

Well, I agree that SUBURBIA is a good movie, but I really like SLC Punk also, because it shows the stages of being a punk and part of society. It shows how you can always be a punk at heart and still function in todays society. I grew up as a punk in the late 80's early 90s, so I don't have a good idea of the punk scene in LA circa 1980, but the people in Suburbia seemed like losers who would never go anywhere in life. To me that movie also stereotyped punx. The typical punk scumbags squating and using drugs. SLC shows another side of punx. There are smart punx out there that will look like everyone else, but never lose that attitude. What am I gonna do, not get the high paying jobs because I wanted to keep my purple hair from college? Am I no longer punk because I don't look like a stereotypical punk? SLC punk is the story of my life. I was in the scene, still am, but now I move around society, married a good person and bring in the dough to buy DVD's and the good punk cd's.
I suggest that any punk who has aprehentions about growing up should watch this movie. And my understanding is that the main character is and was into the punk scene.
Old 03-22-00, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never been a punk and never will be - and don't want to be. But I've listened to punk music and gone to shows for quite a few years now (about 6-7) and I've known lots of self-identified punks.

Anyways.. I liked the movie - especially how they ended it. But then again, I thought Matthew Lillard did a wonderful job (although I think its not far from his real personality). I would suggest at least renting it.

oh.. by the way. Wasn't Suburbia filled with cliches as well? I mean, come on.

And what exactly is a poseur? I get the feeling that 90% of punks, goths, etc. are "poseurs" anyways.

Old 03-22-00, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The people in Suburbia were losers who came from bad families. Just like the crusty gutter punks that you see in the streets, but I won't get into that movie since we're talking about SLC Punk. Besides, it's been a couple years since I've actually seen this one so it's not fresh in my head.

The things I didn't like about SLC Punk - We hate rednecks, lets go beat them up!, We hate the cops, lets fight them!, We don't like mods and skins! Beat them too!, Anarchy rules! Lets steal beer! All those I found to be stupid cliches that punks are bad people, beating people up for no reason, stealing, hating cops, anarchy etc. I know a lot of punks and skins and (maybe it's just the ones I know) but they're not like that at all.

And the fact that Daveo came from mega-rich parents but lived like a bum in that shitty apartment with spraypaint on the walls and whatnot when he could be living with his parents or in a good place. That was the poseur part of it - he lives like a bum with no money. Really, is there any other reason to decorate your apartment walls with spray painted lyrics from punk songs other than to look more punk rock? And the kid in the hospital, using electrical tape to write anarchy symbols on the wall and his gown...?!

After thinking, I guess Suburbia showed the f*cked up kids from bad families that have no where else to go and SLC Punk showed the suburban punk going through a phase and getting on with his life. It still doesn't change my opinion that Matthew Lilliard is obnoxious, the movie was filled with dumb cliches and that it was a punk movie for MTV kids.

DiscoDuck, I know what you're saying about not wanting to keep your purple hair to get a good job. But did you live like a bum to look more "punk rock"? Were you beating people up, shouting anarchy and stealing?

Maybe I'll give this movie another chance someday, but not today.

Nosebleed

PS - I don't think anything in Suburbia was a cliche then, since punk had only just really started a few years prior to that. Maybe looking back on it now it may seem that way.

[This message has been edited by Nosebleed (edited March 22, 2000).]
Old 03-22-00, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
I'd like to see this movie just because it has the word 'punk' in the title (and my wife likes the party of five guy in it). Most of the punks around here (the ones that actually put out records, tour, playing bands, put on shows, go to shows) are normal looking people. Most of the krusties/gutter punks are the rich kid posers who think it will be fun beggin and sleeping drunk on the street. The krusties seem to disappear a lot fast than the real punks. Now days most of the punk music thats around is made by average joes who dont have mohawks. They have other normals jobs are sleep in houses. They were mostly people who grew up listening to punk but got tired of sleeping on floors or in the street and stinking.
My message isnt getting across too well.
Dave ninja www.dgweb.com/~dninja
sacramento, the city of a beer
Old 03-23-00, 08:08 AM

DaveNinja,
Your message came across fine and I agree. The gutter punks, krusties, whatever you wanna call em are the ones that go for shock and not a way of thinking. You got a lotta 9-5 guys (blue and white collar) putting out punk music and enjoying the scene. I think you should check this movie out.
Old 03-23-00, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well the gutter crust punks generally listen to crust, anarcho peace-punk type stuff (Crass, Conflict, Doom, Oi Palloi etc.) which goes along with the look (I've never figured out how homeless people can be so into music...where's there stereo?). This type of music isn't exactly mainstream and there isn't a whole lot of bands still doing it (that are easy to find).

The blue collar stuff you talk about is the Fat Wreck Chords/Epitaph type skate-rock/pop-punk stuff and it's everywhere. There's still a lot of leather, mohawks and spikes oi, street, pogo punk around (Casualties, Unseen) it's just not as easy to find as the more mainstream stuff.

A lot has changed in the scene since the 80's. Look at The Decline Of Western Civilization and see how bands were back then (Germs, Black Flag) and then see the bands now. There's a lot more money in it nowadays that wasn't around back then.

Nosebleed