Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Stigmata

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-00, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd like some feedback on the Stigmata DVD.
Old 03-01-00, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I posted a review of it on thursday or friday...I'm sure you'll turn it up if you do a search.

Old 03-02-00, 01:56 AM
Banned

General, try renting it. This title is only watchable once and isn't worth over $3.22

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~imadick
Old 03-02-00, 03:07 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by NOFX:
General, try renting it. This title is only watchable once and isn't worth over $3.22

<HR>

I told you, I told you. I told you, I told you.--Friday

NOFX,

Remember your old thread when you asked if this was good movie and I got in a debate with someone. Next time listen up, I am a hip guy who likes a wide variety of films. Just look at my DVDTracker list to see what I mean. Each person has a movie or two which they enjoy that isn't considered good, but I don't see how this could be one. This movie not only interprets many ideas wrong (which is widely known) but never really develops characters or its own identity as an orginal movie. I give it a 2 out 5, which is a little below average, not that anyone cares. Till next time, peace out mo fo!

------------------
-DVDjunkie21
My sometimes visited DVD List l My Pic
If you like stick figures and horror, then visit StickDeath.com!

[This message has been edited by DVDjunkie21 (edited March 02, 2000).]
Old 03-03-00, 06:25 AM
ripthorne

I sort of liked this movie. Especially the style of it all, like when she gets the first stigmata. Thought that nail thing was cool. The alternate ending is only slightly different from the original, a little sadder I guess. I don't know what the point of the movie was, just a story i guess.

------------------
--- I HATE dead people.
--- Say my name bitch!
... because he just ate a cow STUPID!
Old 03-03-00, 01:46 PM

I couldn't disagree with the other reviews more. I thought this was a great movie. Unlike most of the horror movies out this movie is actually scary. It's freaky in an atmospheric and religeous way more than anything. If your catholic you will not like this movie. If you think catholicism places too much emphasis on a wooden church and priests and things of this world rather than in God (or your interpretation of him) than you will rather enjoy it. Also, if you really don't give a crap about religion or any related topic (like my girlfriend) you will still probably enjoy it for it's other entertaining qualities. It is a haunting story. I found it humorous that the previous person didn't know the meaning of the movie. They border on beating you over the head with it as it is repeated throughout the film. The Kingdom of God is not in a structure, a church, or an institution but it is inside of each and every one of us, it is everywhere around us. Now before everyone thinks it's a bunch of religious crap, the movie beyond it's message is a suspensful film which oozes (sp?) atmosphere. It is different than The Exorcist but in a similarly freaky tone. Oh, also, DON'T WATCH THE TRAILER BEFORE YOU SEE THE MOVIE. It's a 2min rehash of the ENTIRE movie...and I HATE when they do that.

The DVD itself has very good picture quality, shadow detail, etc. I think I saw one spec on the film print but as I continued watching the movie I was so drawn into it that I didn't pay attention to artifacts etc. The sound was very good as well. The dvd includes deleted scenes and an alternate ending as well as a director's commentary which I haven't listened to but which I've heard is great.

I'm glad I purchased the disc even sight unseen and felt I got my money's worth. Sorry the other people commenting on it could see the movie for what it was and enjoy it in that vein.

Evan
Old 03-03-00, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by ehood:
I couldn't disagree with the other reviews more. I thought this was a great movie. Unlike most of the horror movies out this movie is actually scary. <HR>

Yeah, it was scary all right. Scared me to death that Hollywood was progressing to churn out more of this crap.

Old 03-03-00, 04:47 PM

so if Stigmata is Crap...what do you consider movies like Inspector Gadget?

Hollywood churns out a lot of crap but I don't see how Stigmata falls into that category. I think any movie from hollywood which isn't just another rehash of other junk they spewed out is a step in the right direction.

But we all have our opinions...
Old 03-03-00, 05:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No No don't get confused they are both crap! (Gadget & Stig)
Old 03-03-00, 06:55 PM

Sorry guys but I have seen Stgmata and I liked it a lot. The DVD is great also.
Old 03-03-00, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by ehood:
so if Stigmata is Crap...what do you consider movies like Inspector Gadget?

Hollywood churns out a lot of crap but I don't see how Stigmata falls into that category. I think any movie from hollywood which isn't just another rehash of other junk they spewed out is a step in the right direction.

But we all have our opinions...
<HR>

Haha...exactly when did I say Inspector Gadget was good?? I don't see that quote anywhere. Don't make assumptions for other people cuz it'll blow up in your face. Like TEL said, they both suck. Besides, Stigmata was NOT original by any means but rather a poor attempt to make a MTV style exorcist but was far inferior b/c the storyline was utterly flawed in almost every respect
Old 03-03-00, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hey DVDJunkie. do you ever do that scene from American Pie... "Do you think she like the cool laid back Jim, or the (fusses with hair) serious Jim."

forgot that actual line.

Sorry, your haircut just reminded me off Jason Bigg's character.

Old 03-03-00, 08:06 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by DodgingCars:
hey DVDJunkie. do you ever do that scene from American Pie... "Do you think she like the cool laid back Jim, or the (fusses with hair) serious Jim."

forgot that actual line.

Sorry, your haircut just reminded me off Jason Bigg's character.

<HR>

hehehehehe...I do like to recite lines from movies a lot, but I have yet to use that line. My hair is usually the length in the picture, but right now it is even shorter. I am a lot like that character pretty much. I like to have a lot of fun, but at the same time I try to be serious and proud on more than one occasion.

Here is another line that he says which I like. "Oh my god she is gone, she used me....I was used.....I was used--coooool!

------------------
-DVDjunkie21
Old 03-07-00, 11:43 AM

The Director's commentary offers some good insights into the film. He rounds out the film nicely and provides explanations of story points that were meerly implied or suggested. It was interesting to watch a flick that didn't explain what was going on over and over again. You either picked up on what they were saying or you didn't.

------------------
THE EDEN MYTH: Rent it today at Hollywood Video!!!
www.edenmyth
Old 03-09-00, 10:07 AM

I just watched Stigmata last night and I really enjoyed it. I've seen a lot of people compare this film to The Exorcist and I just don't see the comparison. Obviously these people haven't watched The Exorcist in a long time.

The films message is the same thing I've been saying for years.

Spolier ahead:
My only question, and I haven't listened to the commentary yet, is if the mesage from the gospel of Jesus were taken from the gospel that was found in the 40's that the Vatican wil not recognize?

-Dean-
Old 03-09-00, 12:00 PM

Response to DEAN.....contains spoiler........

.SPOILER..SPOILER>..Much of the film is based on the previously found gospel (which today is no big secret) but the movie assumes that it's viewer is unaware of it..END OF SPOILER

------------------
THE EDEN MYTH: Rent it today at Hollywood Video!!!
www.edenmyth
Old 03-09-00, 02:10 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.

Well it worked on me because I was unaware of it.

-Dean-

Old 03-17-00, 12:35 PM

Oh, I do see some high quality cinema that DVDJunkie owns....The Curve and Jack Frost!!

To each his own....I thought Stigmata was well done visually and had some great scenes...I've seen alot worse....

------------------
I know you are but what am I?
Old 03-17-00, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Very disappointing flick. The director is a total hack. Acting is so-so. The story is pretty dumb at times. Overall it`s about as scary as your average Troma film. I give it 4 out of 10.

One other thing, while I am a fan of Billy Corgan, the music in "Stigmata" is truly bad.
Old 03-17-00, 02:31 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Pee Wee:
Oh, I do see some high quality cinema that DVDJunkie owns....The Curve and Jack Frost!!

To each his own....I thought Stigmata was well done visually and had some great scenes...I've seen alot worse....

<HR>

If you noticed Jack Frost was free, and The Curve is a movie I personally like since Matthew Lillard is one of my favorite actors. Its funny how you only picked out 2 of the movie I own, since I usually get complimented on my list. Maybe next time you can give your review and not criticize someone, eh?

------------------
-DVDjunkie21
Old 03-17-00, 03:17 PM

Lighten UP!!! I was kidding-I dont really care what you own or have. I just happen to have watched the movie recently and wanted to see what others said....like I said before, to each his own.

It just seems like everyone is so quick to criticize the next guy or what they like....jeesh.

------------------
I know you are but what am I?
Old 03-18-00, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked the movie (even though I don't think much of Patricia Arquette), and felt it was an "Exorcist-lite". Gabriel Byrne did he usual consistent acting job, and Jonathan Pryce plays a great prick. What made this movie enjoyable, when it could have been trash, was the writing and directing. The MTV editing continues to piss me off, in this movie and every other movie that uses it to excess, but thankfully the quality cinematography offset that.

SPOILER::: my question is about the aforementioned Gospel of St. Thomas, found in '45. Is it the real deal, or just a Hollywood gimmick? Any links/info if the Gospel does exist would be appreciated, thanks.

Beno.
Old 03-19-00, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Stigmata is definitely a good movie to buy on DVD. I liked it.
Old 03-20-00, 07:09 AM
Cool New Member

Beno -

Who doesnt like Patricia Arquette? Haven't you seen True Romance? I'd like a 120 min DVD of her sitting in front of the camera, giggling her giggle (but only with a singlet top on, of course).

Sorry to get crude, but she really does it for me.

With respect to the film, I saw it on the big screen: I rate it at 3 1/2 there, but I imagine that if I saw it on the small screen only, I imagine that I would give it a 2: the visuals were quite stunning (not only my Patricia), and I reckon that Gabriel Byrne plays a good corruptible priest: unfortunately, though, there is no bathroom exit seen as per End Of Days, with Patricia sitting at the restaurant table.

PS, I hear Arnie is doing a sequal to End of Days called "End of Weeks", or is it "End of Nights"?