Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Cirque du Soleil's "Alegria" - Rip Off

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Cirque du Soleil's "Alegria" - Rip Off

Old 03-13-00, 09:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just received this DVD in todays mail from an online store. This was my favorite Cirque, yet to be on video <gag> or DVD. Get this...it's a "movie" inspired by Alegria. It's NOT the play we all saw in our home cities several years back. Return it or cancel the order.
Old 03-14-00, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I too have it on order, although I have not received it yet. But I knew before I pre- ordered it that it was a movie inspired by the live performances and not the show it self. Being a big Cirque Du Soleil fan I have no intention of returning it but keeping it an enjoying it for what it is.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST
Old 03-14-00, 11:15 AM
Banned

Cloud, I'm glad your looking forward to the Movie. I'm just so disappointed. At the time I ordered it, the DVD was not listed as "The Movie". I'll take this up with Reel. I did find out, since your interested: Alegria is a resident show in Biloxi, and like all Cirque resident shows, they`ll only be on video at the end of their run.

Enjoy your DVD
Old 03-14-00, 12:37 PM

What do you mean by "end of their run"?

BTW, did you guys find the "production notes" mentioned on the Quidam DVD mentioned on the box?
Old 03-14-00, 12:49 PM
Banned

quote:<HR>Originally posted by RR_DMX:
What do you mean by "end of their run"?

BTW, did you guys find the "production notes" mentioned on the Quidam DVD mentioned on the box?
<HR>

Alegria is still playing in Biloxi, as a "resident show". Which means its been there for sometime and will continue to play there in the near future. Just like "Mystre" and "O" are still playing in Las Vegas.

I do no have Quidam on DVD. It was not one of my Fav's.
Old 03-14-00, 12:54 PM
Banned

Alegrķa is presented on a permanent and exclusive basis at Beau Rivage, on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, in Biloxi.

Old 03-14-00, 11:05 PM

Boy, this post is just loaded with bad news. I ordered, but have not yet received Alegria...now I find out its not what I thought it was.
And, I can't wait till Las Vegas shuts down to see Mystere on dvd. I have seen the show several times and would pay big bucks to be able to watch it at home whenever I wanted.
I guess "0" will never be out since that just started.
Old 03-15-00, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Kenwood,
I understand where you are coming from. I thought the same thing when I saw it listed on REEL's site. As I had not heard of the live performance (which is my second favourite of the 5 different Cirque Du Soleil shows I have seen) being released to DVD or VHS I did some research and found out it was a movie inspired by the original live performance. When I went to see there new performance a few weeks back - Dralion - I made some inquiries to confirm this and the person I talked to said it was definately worth watching. Anyway, I decided to order it finally from CDUniverse using their $10 off coupon. I am still waiting to receive it.

By the way I have Quidam on DVD abd it is great. If you have seen it live and like it, then you should get the DVD. It is not my favourite CDS show, I prefer the other 4 I have seen, it is the only one on DVD and still worth getting.

P.S. If you get a chance to see Dralion, then go do so. It is absolutely fabulous. My second favourite after Alegria.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

[This message has been edited by cloud (edited March 15, 2000).]
Old 03-15-00, 10:32 PM
Banned

Sent the Alegria "Movie" back to REEL.com for a refund under their 30 day return policy.