Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: Out of Africa (DVD)

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Out of Africa (DVD)

Old 03-05-00, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone seen this on DVD? I hope the transfer does this great movie justice. Thanks.
Old 03-06-00, 12:47 AM

I watched this DVD Friday night. It's a decent transfer. Not reference quality for a seven year old movie, but solid anyhow. The picture is a little on the soft side, but the cinematography still comes across beautifully. I also noticed a little grain at times, especially in the darker scenes, but it wasn't too distracting. This DVD contains the 160+ minute movie with commentary and a 60 miunute documentary. Perhaps this much data on an RSDL disc precludes a high video bit rate necessary for the highest video quality?
Old 03-06-00, 01:08 AM

Watched this last night, hadn't seen it since it was in the theaters (Frank A--it's a little more than 7 years old. Try 15!)

I don't think I'm as picky as other members here re: softness/grain/artifacts etc., but I thought the film/transfer looked gorgeous. (Those scenes with Redford and Streep flying over the Kenyan landscape were breathtaking).

I was prepared to regret getting the DVD, not having seen it in so long, but I must say I got caught up in the romance of it all, was thoroughly engaged for the 2hrs, 40 min. It helped that I had a friend recently come back from Africa, plus I'm currently reading Doris Lessing, so I was already in some sort of "African" mindspace.

I haven't listened to Pollack's commentary, but the accompany documentary was decent (except for the pretentious narration). Overall I'm glad I picked it up.

------------------
My DVD's
Old 03-05-02, 01:15 AM
Banned

Bump

How good of a DVD is this movie? Special Features etc? How good of a plot does it have?Worth a purchase?

Your thoughts?