Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review - Double Jeopardy

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-00, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a chance to sit down and watch this movie for the first time tonight, and I wanted to share my impressions for those of you who might be on the fence about ordering it. The dvd itself is pretty bare bones, imo, including a trailer and a featurette. It does have 5.1 surround, and its presented in anamorphic widescreen. Just a warning, there are probably some spoilers below, so read at your own risk.

I had heard many good things about Double Jeopardy, and the movie didn't disappoint. It did have a few slow areas, but overall this was quite a suspenseful flick. I have to admit that Ashley Judd isn't my favorite actress, but she does a fine job in the movie, portraying a woman wrongly convicted of killing her husband. She later finds out he's alive, and sets off to make things right, and find her son. Tommy Lee Jones also puts in a performance, albeit a subdued one. They never really developed his character as much as I was hoping, but he does provide a good foil for Judd's character.

The picture looked quite good, as did the sound, although this isn't the movie to demo those speakers, as there wasn't alot of activity that I could detect (*).

The movie definately warrants a rental and a possible purchase, as it is entertaining and enjoyable. However, the lack of extras is a bit disappointing, but this is Paramount.

*Just as a note, this is my first review. If I didn't answer a question you had, if you post it, I'll certainly try. Be warned tho, that my technical knowledge of all things home theater related is a bit limited, so I might not be able to answer the in-depth questions not particularly related to the film. If this review gets a good response, I'll try to get a review of Bats up (looks loaded, extras wise) tomorrow, or sunday at the latest.

Thanks for reading!
Old 02-22-00, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed your review - very well written and I hope to read more of your reviews in the future.

My Site: A Guide To Current DVD
Old 02-23-00, 01:00 AM

Sounds like the Fugitive i.e. wrongly convicted of murdering espouse. And TLJ is there too. Though I prefer Ashley Judd over Harrison Ford.. if you catch my drift.

Very good review. I'm eagerly awaiting my copy.

weapon_x11
Old 02-24-00, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Liquid Death . . . great review!!!

Please continue to post your thoughts on films, because I really enjoy reading the opinions of the forum members here.

I will probably watch my copy later this week and I'll post my thoughts on the film and DVD afterwards.
Old 02-24-00, 03:29 PM

Hey, some replies!

Honestly, I didn't know what to expect - no one replied for a few days, so I figured it sucked, and thus didn't post a review of Bats on the 19th. But I'm glad that not only people read it, but that at least a few people found it enjoyable and helpful So, I'll try to post more reviews in the future and as always, I'm open to constructive critism either in a reply here, or via email.

My address is: [email protected]

Thanks!

Old 02-24-00, 06:32 PM
Banned

Good review, although I disagree with your assessment.

At no point in the story did I feel that Ashley really wanted to take advantage of the "Double Jeopardy" loophole. They kind of threw that in and never followed up on it at all. And the fact that TLJ followed her over the country was just plain ridiculous. Every thing that happened in this movie was totally predictable and it completely lacked any semblance of suspense.

However, I did feel that Ashley did an excellant job portraying a mother trying to get back her son. And the scene where she escapes from TLJ was a riot.

Totally a renter.
Old 02-24-00, 11:07 PM

I'm not sure about assessment - at the strongest, it was merely my opinion. I think Judd's character was willing to take advantage of the loophole, and wanted to. Revenge was a pretty strong motivating factor for her throughout the pic. She just couldn't kill him until she got her son back. When it came time for her revenge, she just couldn't do it. That doesn't mean she didn't want to - I'm sure she did. Not all of us, no matter how much we want to, can kill someone.

As for your points, hey, we're all different, and we see/don't see different things. Which is why multiple reviews are a great source of information for those trying to determine whether or not they'd like to rent/purchase a movie - it gives them different perspectives.

Old 02-25-00, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

O.K. . . . my wife and I watched this tonight and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Granted, the plot is fairly predictable, but the movie kept my attention throughout . . . great suspense, entertaining story, and good acting. I can see why it grossed so much money at the box office . . . it is a good movie overall.

Tommy Lee Jones is always good in these types of roles, although he was underused. As for Ashley Judd, I think she acts better in the "serious" moments, rather than when she has to get "emotional". However, does she look good, or what???!!!

As for the DVD, Paramount gets it right where it counts . . . good anamorphic transfer and DD 5.1.
Old 02-27-00, 12:17 AM
Cool New Member

Thanks for all the great reviews! I just ordered this movie on what I've heard about it and from what you all have said, I won't be dissappointed! I appreciate your insight!

------------------
[email protected]
Old 03-05-00, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
It's a good movie, but they should have cast someone other than T.L. Jones in the role of the parole officer. It was way too close to his roles as the bounty hunter in "The Fugitive" and "US Marshalls". I call this movie "The Fugitive - Light". I also wasn't crazy about the predictable "Hollywood" ending to the movie re-uniting mother with child and then fade out to credits.