Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

What happened on the latest Star Trek DVDs?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

What happened on the latest Star Trek DVDs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-00, 02:22 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just picked up the latest Star Trek episodes on DVD (Vol. 6, 7, and 8) and I must say that the quality has dipped significantly .

While the digitally remixed sound continues to be superb, the picture is VERY grainy on several episodes, particularly on Vol. 7. In addition, the colors are not nearly as vibrant as they were on the previous releases; the fleshtones are rather dull and brownish looking (again relative to the earlier releases). Several scenes in Courtmartial and Galileo 7 are much too dark. There is even one scene in Courtmartial where a very distinct, vertical, white line is seen in the center of the picture that lasts for several seconds (when Kirk is first describing the heartbeat experiment to the trial board members). I dug up and watched my old VHS copy that I bought way back in 1986 and this line was definitely not there on that video.

There were some delays in releasing Vol. 6 so I cannot help but wonder if there were some problems that were encountered for this batch of episodes. All of the recent SciFi channel airings of these episodes looked very good to me so I don't understand why Paramount couldn't use those as the source material which should have solved any problems one would think. I will say that both the episodes "Miri" and the two part Menagerie looked better than ever (Capt. Pike's dream/fight scene with the "Kaylar" warrior was a particular treat...it sounded like the orchestra that played the music for that scene was right there in my room with me ), but the other 3 episodes were definitely below par.

I was very disappointed overall since I had previously been very excited to own this series on DVD. The new DVD transfers were pretty spectacular for Vol. 1-5 thus I was content with having to repurchase the shows (I bought them all on VHS many years ago). Now I'm not so sure...I do hope that Paramount gets back on track with the next releases (and all subsequent ones, too, of course).

Did anyone else notice this? Just curious...

Jonathan
Old 03-02-00, 06:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I saw that too. Not sure what happened there and I'm hoping that the other volumes in the series won't suffer from the same problems. in particular I noticed that some of the footage was much darker than it should have been. Also, the other discs have a chapter stop right after the opening credits and these later volumes dont.

weird

------------------

Web-Today Destinations: Best of the Web, Seven Days a Week!