DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Bogart mania

Old 02-14-00, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got the Big Sleep and the Maltese Falcon in my hot little hands. Anyone watch these yet? Can't wait to check 'em out.
Old 02-14-00, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got these 2 from Reel today. I havent watched them yet, I was to busy filling out the buy 5, get 1 Free coupon. I knew there would reason last fall/xmas when I was buying cheap WB titles retail, when on sale. As for the coupon, it states any RETAIL store, I dont know if that means on-line stores or not, anyone know? I didnt see anything about when the titles had to be purchased.
Old 02-14-00, 11:57 PM

just watched MALESE FALCON. There are lots of scratch marks and stuff on the film, but I expected it seeing how old the print they had to use probably was. The sound quality is great, and aside from the scratch marks the picture is great too. Definitely worth buying.

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~prefect.asp
Old 02-15-00, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I watched Maltese last night, and actually I thought that the print and transfer were absolutely gorgeous. No one should hesitate to buy this will. I'm betting it has never looked better. It is beautiful.
Old 02-15-00, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I watched about 1/2 of the Maltese Falcon today. I thought, so far it looks okay for a film of that age but I have seen some scratch marks, etc. but overall it looks okay to me. The worst transfer I have seen WB do is Papillon, I still havent watched that one after skipping around on scenes.
Old 02-16-00, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Anyone else find the cover artwork on these ridiculously ugly? My big sleep case looks grotesque. (I know, it's the original art, but, it still looks terrible).
Old 02-16-00, 03:24 AM
MTB
Cool New Member

How about "Key Largo" Just watched it tonight I dont think it never look this good.

I do have to agree about the cover art on these three Movies, But how great is it to finaly have them.

MTB
Old 02-21-00, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I still haven't received my MALTESE FALCON (CDNOW so nuff said) but this is so great a movie I can but up with a few scratch marks. Bogart at his finest.
Old 02-21-00, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I still havent received Key Largo from Reel. Last I looked on my order history it said they expect it 2/23 and will ship it then but its the second note from them with the first saying 2/18.
Old 02-24-00, 09:59 AM

Zizz - You're talking about the white/blue cover with bogart & astor (with their pics) on the front? If so, it is pretty bad?
Old 02-25-00, 06:16 PM

Just watched The Big Sleep last night. GREAT MOVIE! I thought it was just me when I grimaced at the cover art, haha! Also, I hate that repeating audio in the menus, ugh... so many DVDs seem to do that.

I also noted some scratches in the big sleep. After watching "The Seventh Seal" critereon release, I've become picky! Still, as classic of classics...

I enjoyed "Casablanca", my all time favorite film. It was a real treat to go from my overwatched VHS copy to DVD. Great Bogart film, and an excellent transfer.

Old 02-25-00, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Indurain:
Zizz - You're talking about the white/blue cover with bogart & astor (with their pics) on the front? If so, it is pretty bad?<HR>

Oops, sorry I wasn't more clear. I was talking about The Big Sleep.
Old 02-27-00, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks Shamus. Haven't gotten to watch my copy of Casablanca yet (got too many of my DVDs this week in the mail and not enough time to watch them all)

Editing to update that I finally watched Casablanca. AWESOME!!! Wife loved it so much I have been ordered to go get The Maltese Falcon.

------------------
MyGrowingListOfDVDs

[This message has been edited by xcheckers (edited February 28, 2000).]
Old 02-27-00, 09:46 PM

Maltese Falcon, Big Sleep, and Key Largo DVDs are the best prints I've ever seen of these Bogart classics. If I had to rank them by image quality I'd say Largo is tops, followed closely by Falcon with Sleep coming in third. Falcon and Sleep could use some cleaning up but overall they beat any previous incarnation.

Thanks Warner! Now how about To Have and Have Not?

And TCF, how about Left Hand of God?

John

[This message has been edited by John DVDz (edited February 27, 2000).]
Old 02-27-00, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've got both The Maltese Falcon and The Big Sleep - startin' to become a Bogey fan I guess! I've already got Casablanca, and will get Key Largo. Both DVDs are great, and although the film has some defects, it's still the best you're gonna get for films that are over 60 years old! By the way, does Sidney Greenstreet remind you of Marvel Comics' The Kingpin? It really hit me when I heard his voice and remembered the 1960s cartoon. If you ever hear it, you'll be thinking of Greenstreet!
Old 03-01-00, 03:16 AM

Warner has done an outstanding job on The Big Sleep. I've only watched half of The Malteese Falcon and just recieved Key Largo in the mail the other day and haven't watched it yet (my favorite amongst the three).
Kind of disappointed with the artwork on the cover. It kind of looks like they used an old movie poster or lobby card.
Several Bogart films were just re-released or scheduled to be re-released on VHS including Treasure of the Sierra Madre and They Drive By Night. Hope to see these on DVD also.