Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: The Big Lebowski

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: The Big Lebowski

Old 02-19-00, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just did a search to make sure there is no duplicate. COuld someone please give us some review of this 1998 movie? Thanks!
Old 02-19-00, 06:24 PM
barrese

The Big Lebowski is a hilarious comedy. It's rather weird and quircky like all of the Coen Bros. films. I'm sure there's a plot synopsis at IMDB so I won't bore you with that. The DVD has both WS and FF presentations and the transfer is quite good in my opinion.

This is the kind of comedy that I can watch over and over(and in fact have). If you liked Raising Arizona and Hudsucker Proxy I'd check this film out.

------------------
Please excuse my spelling. A childhood spent watching film and TV has left my grammar skills permanently crippled.
Old 02-19-00, 08:34 PM

The Big Lebowski is maybe the funniest movie I have ever seen.
Old 02-19-00, 10:34 PM

I agree. Very funny and an excellent transfer. DVD also includes 30 minute interview with Coen Bros.
Now excuse me while I go find a cash machine.
Old 02-19-00, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I love this movie.
Old 02-20-00, 12:58 AM
Cool New Member

Very funny from start to finish. Instead of sitting here thinking of which scene I liked the best, I think I'll go watch it.
Old 02-20-00, 02:58 AM

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
Instead of having "The Big Sleep", the Cohen brothers give us their spin on film noir with "The Big Lebowski" set in modern day Los Angeles. I remember that a lot of critics didn't care much for this when it came out so I avoided it. I rented it on DVD and then bought it, it was so good.
Old 02-20-00, 03:40 AM
Banned

Jeff Bridges is perfect. His best work to date.
Old 02-20-00, 02:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great movie, terrible extras

------------------
"THIS IS WHO WE ARE"
Old 02-20-00, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,011 Likes on 616 Posts
let me be a dissenting opinion. i have tried to watch this movie several times (it has been shown a lot on pay-cable), & i can never get thru it. moves rather slow & the laughs were scarce in my opinion. for a cohen bros comedy, it does not match or come close to raising arizona. rent before you buy.
Old 02-20-00, 10:16 PM

This movie is absolutely hilarious in my opinion. It gets funnier with every viewing too. If you're not into the whole brevity thing, I'm sure the there's lots of reviews online (check www.dvdfile.com). The transfer and sound on this Polygram DVD is great, and there are some good extras. However, if you're not into the whole Coen brother's humor, then this might not be for you. It's probably a good idea to rent it first. But, frankly, this DVD really ties my whole collection together.

------------------
"Home is where the theater is!"
Old 02-20-00, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One hilarious movie. "The Dude"!! A must have for any DVD collection..
Coen brothers are too much..

------------------
Truly addicted to DVD
Old 02-21-00, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The first time I saw it I thought it was OK. The second time I thought it was pretty good. Now I think it is one of the funniest movies around. It just sems to grow on you. I would recommend it.
Old 02-21-00, 11:15 AM
reliquary

This movie gets funnier with each viewing! And I agree with the person who said that it was Jeff Bridges best work yet.
Old 02-21-00, 02:27 PM

Agreed that it gets funnier each time you watch it. I had it in the other night and woke my wife up I was laughing so hard. That being said though, it isn't for everyone. It's a very quirky, dry humor that you have to enjoy to get the most out of. For example:

The Dude: And, you know, he's got emotional problems, man.
Walter: You mean... beyond pacifism?

Really, it's the characters and the dialouge that will grow on you and make multiple viewing enjoyable.

------------------
"Sometimes you have to miss a little school to further your education."
-Ken Kesey

[This message has been edited by Orpheus (edited February 21, 2000).]
Old 02-23-00, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I, too, avoided this one at first because of bad reviews. I ended up getting a free rental at Netflix. I watched that rental three times before returning it (I usually can't watch any movie more that once a year) and immediately bought the DVD. If you like comedies like "What About Bob" and "Kingpin", you'll like "the Dude" as well.

Justin,

I hope nobody did to your DVD the thing that happened to the rug!

Old 02-24-00, 05:51 PM
Cool New Member

IMHO, there is only one funnier movie available: Fargo.
Old 02-24-00, 11:34 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

No way. Big Lebowski is sooooo much funnier than Fargo. Puh-leezzz. I still say Raising Arizona is their greatest work ... with the single greatest chase scene on film.

------------------
MY DVDs: A study in addiction
THE FAKE NEWS: An e-zine for NORM MACDONALD fans

Old 02-25-00, 03:17 AM
Banned

Without a doubt, one of the best comedies ever made.
Old 02-25-00, 05:58 PM

I think Fargo is a better film, but Big Lebowski has more laughs.

To be honest, though I liked Raising Arizona I think it is one of their 2 weakest films (along with Hudsucker Proxy, which I still liked).
Old 02-26-00, 10:03 AM

Brilliant! Jeff Bridges gives a great performance and John Goodman is hilarious in an over-the-top role. The DVD transfer is gorgeous. Worth every penny, extras or no.
Old 02-29-00, 11:51 AM
Cool New Member

I saw it in the theater, and I don't think I've ever seen an audience have that much fun, before or since. It's a very funny comedy, and because the humor is character based instead of plot based, it's got a lot of replay value.
Old 04-18-01, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I just watched this movie last night and found it be quite a hoot! Jeff Bridges and John Goodman were casted to perfection for these roles. After watching it, I kept thinking that if I was to pass J. Bridges on the street, I would have to say "Duuud" I bet that he must get that all the time. Great Movie!
Old 04-18-01, 11:18 PM

I loved the Big Lebowski, it would be a shame not to give it a try.
Old 04-19-01, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am very VERY picky about comedies, but I love this movie. This is definitely one of my favorite comedies because it IS hilarious each AND EVERY time I watch it. The laughs never wear off for me which is very difficult task for a comedy to maintain. I too avoided this at theaters because the critics said it was a Coen Bros. disappointment (just for clarification, to date there is no such thing), AND I fell asleep the very first time I watched it. The second time however, on dvd, was an amazing experience. I don't see much wrong with the dvd. There is a documentary and its anamorphic. I tend to prefer a good documentary to an audio commentary these days (my purchases have overun by available time).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.