Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Blade Runner ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-00, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've heard that the video transfer of Blade Runner was really bad. (like Highlander)
Is there a Special Edition that has a better transfer ?

Also, is there a good quality version of John Boorman's Excalibur ?

JW

[This message has been edited by SeanW (edited February 10, 2000).]
Old 02-11-00, 01:18 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SeanW, nothing could be farther from the truth. BLADE RUNNER's DVD transfer is nothing short of superb, and looks substantially better than any home video incarnation to date. Where the disc does suck is in terms of extras. Nothing, nada, not even a trailer. Ridley Scott has dropped numerous hints that he wants to release a more comprehensive, secondary director's cut on DVD some time soon, so if you choose to hold off for that version, it's understandable. However, do not pass on the current version just because some crackhead pulled your leg!

------------------
A curious mix of the best and worst in motion picture entertainment--that's right, it's Filmmaker's DVDTracker list!
...and the fun doesn't stop there--check out how the madness all began with Filmmaker's Laserdisc Tracker list!
Old 02-11-00, 06:34 AM

Re: Excalibur-
I have the LD. If the DVD improves on the image quality (which I'm sure it does), this is a must have disc. As I recall, it's cheap, too. Thanks for reminding me; I'll check out the DVD tomorrow, and if it has any worthwhile extras, I'll pony up for the DVD. If it doesn't, I'll savor my LD copy. Great film.
Old 02-11-00, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Laredog,

You're definitely going to want to grab the Excalibur DVD. Two words: Director's Commentary.
Old 02-11-00, 11:20 AM

Thanks all!

JW
Old 02-11-00, 08:06 PM

As far as the Bladerunner transfer goes, I found it to be passable but nothing special, although certainly a great deal better than Highlander. The sound is definitely a major dissapointment, though. Add in the fact that there are absolutely no worthwhile extras and I'd have to recommend that you wait for the rumored SE.
Excalibur, on the other hand, is a very nice DVD, with a good transfer and sound and an excellent commentary track with John Boorman. For $20 msrp, it's a must own if you're a fan.

I you're brave enough, you can find reviews for both of these titles on my webpage - The DVD Page.

Have fun everybody
-Hildey
Old 02-12-00, 12:44 PM

It would be great to see a special edition Blade Runner where you could chose the audio track (Harrison Ford Narration or not) and be able to view the Hollywood Happy Ending if you would like.

I'm not saying that the Happy Ending on the standard version of the movie fits in well with the overall theme of the movie. But as it was such a part of the movie that was seen for years - they should have at least put it on the disc that is currently in release as an extra.
Old 02-12-00, 03:09 PM
Mac

The transfer is not bad (better than the Director's Cut laserdisc that I compared it to), but for some reason the image is too small on either side -- that is there are thin black bars on the right and left side of the image. You probably won't be able to see it on a normal TV because of overscan, but when I view it on my computer or portable DVD player, it is very distracting. I found the same problem with the Ladyhawke DVD as well. Anybody else know what I'm talking about?
Old 02-13-00, 11:11 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great movie, good picture, good sound, zero extras. WORTH PICKING UP!

------------------
"THIS IS WHO WE ARE"
Old 02-14-00, 12:51 AM

Mac - I agree the transfer is better than the LD. I also get those bars when I watch the disc on my computer. Oh well...
Old 02-17-00, 11:06 AM

Not to go to far off of subject, but I would like to see the film rereleased into theaters.

I remember dragging my then-girlfriend(now wife ) to see the 70mm release of the directors cut in the early 90's. I loved that. I also have the LD version, so I can wait for the loaded DVD version.

I would like to see the "hollywood" version. I have seen the directors cut a million times, and only saw the hw version a couple. I barely remember the voice overs or the happy ending(they drive off into the lush green hills, right?)
Old 02-17-00, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I couldn’t not post in this thread! The Director’s cut on DVD is the best that’s out there at the moment, but hopefully later this year we’ll have something close to the legendary workprint with reinstated scenes such as Deckard visiting Holden in hospital and some of the music cues that can be found on various bootlegs restored also. I pray every night that Ridley Scott will do a commentary track for the new DVD in the same way as he finally got around to doing for the anniversary Alien edition. If you’re of a mind to see the original release version, you should try and pick up the Criterion CAV laserdisc (assuming you have a player) as it contains the movie complete with voiceover and "happy" ending together with Syd Mead’s production sketches, a Blade Runner trivia test, an essay and nice gatefold artwork. Would be kinda cool if they could re-release this on the new disc with the updated version as perversely I still prefer it (voice over et al) to the "director’s cut"-that isn’t really, just a rush-job to meet the deadline for when the movie was booked into theatres in the early 90’s. In whatever version it‘s available though it is the greatest movie ever made - the Citizen Kane of our generation.

Let me know if I got carried away there

««««««««««««»»»»»»»»»»»»»
More human, than Human

[This message has been edited by jonathan.e (edited February 17, 2000).]
Old 02-18-00, 01:26 AM
Mac

The criterion laserdisc is great. I think I paid ~$90 for it way back when -- it blows my mind, but in the case of this movie it was worth it.
Old 02-22-00, 09:50 PM

All you people who have the LD edition of the original movie - DON'T YOU DARE SELLING OR TRADING IT FOR THE DVD!

Do what I did: get both!
I bought the DVD from Columbia House and the LD ($14!!!) from a friend.

Just in case the #$^%##!! studios don't keep their word and won't release a CE with both versions (I STILL enjoy the original more than the DC), you will still have something to rely on.

Personally, I can't wait to have mine recorded on DVD, when the technology will become more widespread (and cheap). If, of course, the CE doesn't get produced in the meantime...