Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Henry And June

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-00, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like a review of Henry and June.
Does Uma Thurman play a big part?
Is it very sexually explicit? I understand it is rated NC-17 and was wondering if it got that rating due to it's sexual content.
Thanks
Old 02-17-00, 12:40 PM

I bought Henry and June on VHS several years ago, and found it so horrible that I never picked it up on DVD. Uma Thurman plays June, Henry Miller's wife, and has very little screen time (maybe 20 minutes?). This is primarily Anais Nin's story (played by the ever-frustrating actress, Maria de Madeiros), with an emphasis on her sexual awakening and subsequent affair with Henry Miller (Fred Ward). June appears in the middle of the film, and dispappears soon after.

The rating IS due to sexual content, some tame, while others, a little unsettling (there is a rape scene in a Mardi Gras-type celebration). I don't mind sexually explicit films if there is some redeeming value or pertinence to the film. I, personally, did not find any. Sorry, I couldn't give a more positive feedback. Perhaps, this one is better rented first.

[This message has been edited by redshift (edited February 17, 2000).]
Old 02-17-00, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

zzzzzzz>snore,smack,snore<zzZzzZZZZzZ

Hope that answers your question.
Old 02-17-00, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I liked this movie. I saw it when it was first released in theaters (the very first NC-17 rated film) and I think it is a very beautiful picture. Then again, I am a woman find it more on the "sensual" side of sexy. Uma Thurman was very young when she made this movie (19 I believe but she is very effective as the object of desire by both Anais and Henry.) A very interesting triangle.

Oh and redshift was incorrect: there really isn't a brutal rape scene..I would explain my point more but I don't want to give anything away.

------------------
My DVDs

Old 02-17-00, 07:46 PM

I would just like to clarify that I didn't find the rape scene unsettling because of its brutality, but the fact that the director, Philip Kaufman, had the audacity to make the rape "forgiveable" under the circumstances (which I will also, respectfully, not divulge). I guess, I just expected too much from Kaufman after The Unbearable Lightness of Being--a much superior film about a love triangle. As I've said earlier, I'd rent first, just to be on the safe side.