Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: Henry V (Criterion)

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Henry V (Criterion)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-00, 12:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've read a lot of the threads on Criterion, but I've never heard this one mentioned. I remember seeing and liking it years ago. How is the Criterion disk?
Old 02-09-00, 11:07 AM

Hello,

I just got this one a short while ago, but I haven't had a chance to watch it yet. Reel has it on sale for 40% off, rather than the usual 30%, so I picked it up. Perhaps tonight or tomorrow night. I'll post when I've seen it.
Old 02-11-00, 10:48 AM

Hello,

I watched Henry V (Criterion) last night. The quality of the picture was very nice, especially for a 45 year old film, although it wasn't quite as good as The Third Man or a few other Criterion restorations. There was noticeable scratches and dust, but nothing to get upset about. The color was very nice, although I think that the Red Shoes Criterion was slightly more impressive. I suspect that they found the nicest master that they could, and used that, but didn't go to any lengths for restoration (no digital stuff like on Grand Illusion, for example).
I enjoyed the story and the acting, although it may not be to everyone's tastes. The disk has a number of extras, including an audio commentary, a timeline of British royalty, a photo gallery, and is subtitled for the hearing-impaired (which also helps with some of the more arcane Shakespearean English). The line breaks in the subtitling were well-done; the flow of the language was preserved in the subtitling.
If you like classic movies or historical dramas I'd say it was a definite buy. I'm glad that I picked it up.