Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: Holcroft Covenant

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Holcroft Covenant

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-99, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been in a Frankenheimer kind of mood lately. I just bought "Manchurian Candidate" and "The Train" on DVD (to go along with my "Ronin" DVD and my out of print VHS of "Seconds"). I was looking for other movies directed by John Frankenheimer. I came across "The Holcroft Covenant" starring Michael Caine. Has anyone seen this DVD? How is the movie, and how is the quality of the DVD? The reviews at IMBD say that it's not very good (the movie itself, not the DVD). Any other opinions?

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~gamblor187.asp
Old 11-09-99, 04:05 PM

Sorry if this is a bit late for you. The disk itself is okay. It's nothing special, but nothing I was grating my teeth about either. However, the movie is painfully awful. It ranks down there with Frankenheimer's worst work and considdering Island of Dr. Moreau and The Prophecy that's saying something.

If you're curious about the film there's a detailed analysis of it at Jabootu's Bad Movie Dimension, but to give you fair warning it talks about the whole movie.
Old 11-10-99, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the review. Frankenheimer sure has made some awful movies. However, when he's working with good material, he's one of my favorites. I'd kill for "Seconds" on DVD, especially since Frankenheimer seems fond of doing commentaries. I guess I'll just rent "Holcroft Covenant, or skip it all together.

jim

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~gamblor187.asp
Old 11-10-99, 07:34 PM

Yeah, everything up to about the mid-70's of his was brilliant (with the possible exception of the unreleased The Extrordinary Seamen), but then he hit that slump where he didn't start to redeem himself as a director until the 90's with his TV movies and Ronin. I'm looking forward to Reindeer Games now that he seems to be back on the ball.