Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DTS on Sony DE945?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-01, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the 945 connected to my Sony DVD player (not sure which model) via coax. When I watch DTS DVD's the blue light on the receiver comes on. I think the blue light indicates digital signal, but when I play a Dolby Digital 5.1, the light is not on. Is this correct? My buddy says his parent's 945 works just the opposite. Anyone out there with this receiver have any info? Thanks.

Jon
Old 01-18-01, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you try selecting DD5.1 from the audio setup menu of the DVD movie? If you do that does the light come on?
Old 01-18-01, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

quote:<HR>Originally posted by ANDREMIKE:
Did you try selecting DD5.1 from the audio setup menu of the DVD movie? If you do that does the light come on?
<HR>

Yes, when I pick the DD5.1 in the audio set-up, no light. But I pick DTS, and it comes on.
Old 01-18-01, 03:52 PM

Does the movie sound like its in DD5.1?
Old 01-18-01, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I cant really tell. I do not have a sub, but that should not affect the input. I don't think the receiver detects the sub, or else it should not come on for DTS right?
Old 01-18-01, 04:19 PM

You dont need a sub to tell if it is in DD5.1
Of course you will not hear the .1 but do you hear discreet Left and right audio from the rear? One movie is Tomorrow Never Dies in the opening scene you can here the gun going back and forth (just to name one movie) or even the cow in twister you hear it going around the room.

------------------
Mike
Old 01-18-01, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

quote:<HR>Originally posted by ANDREMIKE:
You dont need a sub to tell if it is in DD5.1
Of course you will not hear the .1 but do you hear discreet Left and right audio from the rear? One movie is Tomorrow Never Dies in the opening scene you can here the gun going back and forth (just to name one movie) or even the cow in twister you hear it going around the room.

<HR>

I don't have either of those movies yet. I will check some more titles when I get home. Thank you
Old 01-18-01, 04:33 PM

Just put in a movie that has alot of action... one of those should have some pretty impressive sounding rears.
Also check the menu on your DVD player. Make sure that it is setup right.. It might be defaulting to something and you can't change it in the movie(just a wild guess)

------------------
Mike
Old 01-19-01, 05:17 PM

Make sure that your DVD player is setup to output DTS.

My friend had this same problem and that solved it.
Old 01-19-01, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have an 845, pretty much the same thing as the 945 with a few less bells and whistles. Ok the blue light indicates multi-channel decoding like DTS, and DD. Now what dvd are you using for DD, because for some reason some dvds default to DD 2.0, not DD 5.1. If I am correct the reciever would not detect the signal as multi-channel, and the blue light would not come on. Check the menus of the DD dvds you are playing and make sure you are setting them to DD 5.1. Hope that helps.
Old 01-22-01, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I figured out. The are setting I have to switch on the DVD player to either DD or DTS. Kind of a pain. oh well, thanks for all your help
Old 01-24-01, 01:21 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by jon-w9:
I figured out. The are setting I have to switch on the DVD player to either DD or DTS. Kind of a pain. oh well, thanks for all your help
<HR>

That does not make sense. I have a Sony DVD player. It only has one setting for digital surround and that setting applies to both DD and DTS. It's a permanent setting

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 01-24-01, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I believe mine is a Sony S330. Does that sound like a correct number? And from what I gather from the manual and messing with it, I need to go into the audio menu and switch between DTS and DD. It seems to work fine when I do. Does anyone else have an idea on this?

Old 01-25-01, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I just took back my Yamaha and got this..,love it,but it would not play Twister or any other DTS /DD 5 signal ,even on Auto..I was all set to return it, but then I went into my DVD player, disabled something called 'PCM' and now it detects and blue-lights all the films correctly.

Weird.