Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Funky Speaker Question

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Funky Speaker Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-01, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got a Panasonic RV65 and I have an old Aiwa mini system that has 5.1 input (but no decoder). So I'm set for 5.1 sound, routing the 6 RCA cables to the mini-system, but I don't have the speakers to take advantage of the situation, but...

I have a funky no-name brand 3 speaker system with Bose wanna be twisty mini-cubes for left and right and a non-powered subwoofer as a control unit (Left and Right go to the Subwoofer and it has the output to the Left and Right cubes). I have a center channel that I got with the mini-system (I gave away the other speakers that came with it since the mini-cubes sounded better, and I didn't have anything that would use the surrounds).

My dilemma is that, as I don't think I have a quality receiver with the Aiwa mini-system, I don't know how much value added I can get with super-high-end speakers. I'm also my username, so I don't want to dish out a bunch of cash.

To get even more personal I have a really bad viewing/listening environment in my living room where the TV at an angle to the couch.
code:<HR><pre>TV_______
|
|
|
Couch[/code]

I don't really have a good way to set up surrounds and we're selling the house soon, so I don't want to drill through the hardwood floor to run the wiring for the surrounds so they'll go behind the couch.

So, what it comes down to is that I'm looking to (maybe) replace my current cheap mini-cube system with decent speakers and maybe get a subwoofer and/or a good center channel.

What do y'all think?
Old 01-08-01, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Even more information:

My wife is a designer/interior decorator type and would like a minimum speaker footprint. The mini cubes are great for that and I have the subwoofer sitting on top of our TV armoire (a big old 8' cabinet) so that it is basically invisible. So I'd like to get speakers that will not be intrusive and a (downfiring) subwoofer that is not too tall so that it can fit on top of the cabinet as well (unless that is a blasphemous location).

Thanks!
Old 01-08-01, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

speaking as someone who is surely at least as cheap as you are...

if you must get satellites, get good ones. the usual recommendation around here is the Energy Take 5 system (about $300) and a powered sub. for the sub, i would get the sony SA-WM40 ($150-170).

i have the take 5 system in my bedroom (with an 8" energy sub) and energy an Energy e:XL-16 setup in my living room with the sony sub.

www.energy-speakers.com

i would recommend purchasing them at:

www.audioshop.on.ca

marc will quote you a good price and is great to deal with.

good luck finding the sony, as word is getting out.

if $450 sounds like alot for speakers, try to remember how long speakers last. whatever you get, you will probably have for a long long time. conversely, you'll probably upgrade your receiver every 4-5 years.

------------------
chess' DVDs chess' Web Site
chess' modest home theater:
61" Sony RPTV KP-61S75, Panasonic A-120U, Pioneer VSX-D509S, Energy e:XL-16 front and surround (birch), Energy e:XL-C, Sony SA-WM40
Old 01-08-01, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw the Cheap... thread and was thinking of that subwoofer (though I would prefer one that points down. Good new info on the system though, thanks!
Old 01-22-01, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just saw the free shipping on the Hitachi 702HT system at Amazon. At $99 shipped it is pushing all my CheapButtons.

Any comments suggestions?
Old 01-23-01, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't seem to find any reviews (or specs) of these speakers.

Anyone know where I might look?