Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Quick Sony DAV-S300 and Wega question

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Quick Sony DAV-S300 and Wega question

Old 01-17-01, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a question for anyone with the DAV-S300 system (home-theater in a box). I have both the composite out and S-video out going to my Wega (27FS12). Both are connected to video input 1 on my Wega. I have to connect the composite because I have a VCR (ugh) connected to the DAV-S300 and my understanding is that the S-video works only for DVD.

My question is whether or not the DVD will be outputting from my S-video or composite connection? I am hoping that the S-video will override, but am not sure. Any thoughts?
Old 01-17-01, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Why not connect the composite from the vcr into video 2.

Therefore DVD is video 1 and VCR/cable is video 2.
YOur TV should have multiple video inputs.

Do not hook up the the S-video and the composite from the DVD player to your TV at the same time. There is no need to.
Mike
Old 01-17-01, 05:51 PM

The Wega has two other AV inputs. Video 2 is in the front and I'd rather not have chords in the front. Video 4 is in the back and I have an N64 hooked up to that.

I have video 1 on my DAV-S300 hooked up the audio out from the Wega and video 2 is the VCR.

If I hooked up the N64 to the DAV and the VCR to video 4 and sacrificed surround sound for the VCR, then I would still have to use the composite out of the DAV because my understanding is that S-Video is only for DVD.
Old 01-18-01, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Hmmm. interesting question. According to Sony's web site the Wega has S-Video detection.

INPUTS/OUTPUTS:
Fixed/variable audio outputs
S-Video Detection
S-Video inputs (rear) 1
Composite inputs (rear/front) 2/1
Component video input (Y/PB/PR) (rear) 1
RF input (rear) 1

Not sure what this means, but it sounds like it knows when an S-Video signal is coming in. I believe most TV's default to composite audio if both it and S-Video are connected. Maybe this "detection" capability is a solution to this. Not really sure. May be some one else with a Wega can answer this.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.