Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Bose does not support DTS?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Bose does not support DTS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-01, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a Bose Lifestyle 12 Home Theatre System and in my opinion get incredible 5.1 sound off my DVDs. My Sony DVD player supports DTS format but my Bose system apparently does not support DTS format. The Bose manual gives instructions to turn the DTS feature OFF on the DVD Player as it could cause damage to the Bose speakers. I would like to experience the DTS format for myself but am unsure if I can. Are there others with this problem and if so, is there a way around it?
Thanks,
Brian
Old 01-15-01, 02:00 PM

Welcome to the forum.

There's no way your speakers can deny you the ability to listen to DTS. If you can listen to DD (DVD player and/or receiver that support 5.1) and you have a DTS decoder you have everything you need.

-Gonnosuke
Old 01-15-01, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If your Bose receiver does not have a DTS decoder, than there is no way you can watch a DVD with a DTS sound track.

------------------
Bill
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~Bcolon

Old 01-15-01, 02:09 PM

But he said his DVD player has a DTS decoder. Is this correct Brian?

Maybe I'm not familiar enough with the Bose system to properly answer his question but I would think that if the DVD player had the decoder then he wouldn't have a problem.

-Gonnosuke

[This message has been edited by Gonnosuke (edited January 15, 2001).]
Old 01-15-01, 02:10 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

With your current set-up, you will not be able to listen to DTS unless you get a receiver or decoder. I believe that the lifestyle systems have their own decoder which does not support DTS.
Old 01-15-01, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think he says that his DVD player supports DTS which, in my mind, suggests that his DVD player has DTS digital out or that it passes a digital signal. No mention was made of an onboard DTS decoder on the player which is something pretty rare.
Old 01-15-01, 02:18 PM

I called Bose and they told me that their receivers do not have a DTS decoder. My DVD player does have the option for DTS ON or OFF. Is the sound from Dolby Digital 5.1 to DTS Sound so much more improved to justify me going out and buying a receiver that does have a DTS decoder?
Old 01-15-01, 02:21 PM

With your current setup I would say "No". You're not going to here a dramatic difference in the quality. At least enough to justify buying a new receiver.

-Gonnosuke

DTS Lover.
Old 01-15-01, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got in before it's moved to hardware.

If you perform a search in the hardware forum
you find this had been discussed before.

You're much better off buying some real speakers.
Old 01-15-01, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Brian525:
My Sony DVD player supports DTS format but my Bose system apparently does not support DTS format. The Bose manual gives instructions to turn the DTS feature OFF on the DVD Player as it could cause damage to the Bose speakers.
<HR>

You need to open the setup configuration menu on the DVD player and check the settings under "Audio Setup | Digital Out". Leave Dolby Digital "On", and turn DTS "Off" to disable passing of the DTS signal to the receiver

As far as DD vs. DTS - let's just say that this issue has been flogged to death around here. Do a search if you want more details, (and you can put me in the DTS camp )

BTW, welcome to the Phorum

[This message has been edited by Minglewood (edited January 15, 2001).]
Old 01-15-01, 04:07 PM
Banned

Welecome to the Forum.

Moving to the "Hardware Forum"

Please be nice to him.....

------------------
Kenwood
DVDTalk's Main Forum Moderator
DVDTalk's Rules, Policies, and Disclaimers
DVDTalk's Main Forum FAQ Thread

Email: [email protected]
Old 01-15-01, 04:10 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might try posting your player model number, but I don't think Sony makes a player with a DTS decoder on board. Most players that "support" DTS are simply able to pass the DTS signal to a decoder or receiver that will decode the signal and feed it to your amplifier/speakers.

If your set up is a Bose DD system with a Sony DVD player connected to it, DO NOT TRY TO PLAY DTS! You could potentially damage your system.

Given the amount you probably paid for the Bose system, I don't think (unless you have money to burn) you'll want to go buy a new receiver just for DTS. The difference, while detectable by many, is not so dramatic as to justify spending several hundred more dollars.

Also, to really get the DTS experience, you need full range speakers, and if you have the little Bose cube speakers, they don't have the mid range and low end capability (and a sub can't make up for that) that you'll need to really take advantage of the DTS signal.

Ultimately, if you're happy with how your system sounds, that's what's most important. The audio difference between DD and DTS is often only noticeable on direct comparison. DD is already more than good enough for today's available software and what the average HT listener is willing (or able) to spend.

Moving to DVD and HT Hardware forum.

------------------
David, Administrator, Moderator of the Other Forum
I laughed, I cried, my life was changed: The Other Forum
My DVDs and HT Email: [email protected]
Old 01-15-01, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If your Bo$$e receiver does not support DTS, you can buy a DTS processor like the Millenium from 5point1 and use it in line between your DVD player and the receiver (as long as it has either a 5ch or digital input).

Check out the website I posted for more details.

------------------
=kinky=
Everyone is born screaming, bloody and naked ... if you're lucky - you'll get to live that way !
Old 01-15-01, 06:05 PM

Hey everyone. I already posted a bunch of stuff on this on the other topic that was locked. Here's what I posted. This may clear up some of the confusion:

---------------------

Hey Brian. I'm glad you are enjoying your Lifestyle 12. To help answer a few of your questions, the Lifestyle 12 (nor any other system by Bose) is not DTS compatible. We left the DTS processor out for a few reasons. Number one is software support. And the time the series II Lifestyle systems were released, the DTS market did not look like it was going to take off. Also, as you might know, the number of Dolby Digital vs. DTS DVDs is outrageous. At the time, there was less than 40 DTS DVDs on the market vs a few thousand DD. Will it ever include it in the future? I doubt it unless DTS makes a huge improvement in breaking into the home theatre market.
To the best of my knowledge, playing a DVD in DTS will not damage your system and/or speakers. If you play it in DTS, you will not hear DTS surround, you will hear the Videostage 5 processor.

As far as you wanting to experience DTS, there is an audible difference. Is a huge difference? Most people think not. My average customer can't hear a difference. I can, but it's a slight difference.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions. If you have any others, please feel free to ask or e-mail me.

---------------------

Digit's advice is very good. Better to be safe than sorry. And the adive on auditioning DTS and determine if it's worth an upgrade is also great advice.
Gonnosuke...even with the DTS processor present in the DVD player, it still will not play throught the Lifestyle systems. The is because the Lifestyle systems are not DTS ready as would be required.

-Jeff

---------------------

Brain-
Unfortuately the speakers cannot be plugged directly into the DVD player because they would lack the proper amplification and crossovers. That's all in the sub. And there is no sub line because the amp is on the sub.

DTS formats have less sound compression on the DVDs. This allows a higher bitstream for the sound which creates a better sound quality. But, because of the lesser sound compression, the sound format takes up more room on the DVD causing DVDs in DTS format to have less extras, such as deleted scenes, different formats, so on and so on. From my experience with DTS (which honestly is not that much), the sound seems to have a little more clarity and volume. But, it is slight. Not a night/day difference at all.

---------------------

Let me know if you have any other q's Brian. Thanks.

-Jeff

------------------
My Site
Old 01-15-01, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is Reason #31 on why not to buy Bose.
Old 01-15-01, 09:58 PM
Banned

Bose Pro: From the sound of things you actually work for Bose. What do you do for them? I used to work for a Bose dealer, so I have had a lot of experience with your Lifestyle products. When is your company going to get it? No offense to you, but your company is one of the biggest jokes of the entire audio industy and this is a great example of why. When is Bose going to realize that it is CONSUMERS who decide weather or not they NEED a certain feature, and not the manufacturer? I can't believe how long it took Bose in incorporate Dolby Digital into their Lifestyle 12. For years I heard this same story from your sales reps. "We don't think that there is enough software available at this time....blah,...blah" How many receivers do you see these days that can decode Dolby Digital and not DTS? Your company might actually sell more of your Lifestyle systems, if they developed a clue.
Old 01-15-01, 10:33 PM

I knew Brian would initiate a "Bose sucks" comment.

Bose gets such a bad rap around here. I personally don't like the products but who's to say what others should or shouldn't use or buy? The truth is, a lot of people like the Bose systems because they don't want a lot of intrusive home theatre equipment taking up space.

Bose Pro was nice enough to help the lad out by posting useful information - let's not crucify him for it.

-Gonnosuke
Old 01-16-01, 12:06 AM

Hey Gonnosuke...thanks. I think it's awful when someone like Brian has a simple question that just needs a simple answer and people start ripping Bose. When someone rips Bose, they are also ripping the person for their choice forgetting one simple thing...it is that customer's chioce! A simple question concerning Bose doesn't need a Bose bashing followup.

Green Jello: Yes I do work for Bose. And unfortuately I think you are blind to Bose as a company. You say "When is Bose going to realize that it is CONSUMERS who decide weather or not they NEED a certain feature, and not the manufacturer?" How can this be true if Bose products are some of the top selling products on the market? I know quantity doesn't always equal quaility, but if the customers are not finding what they want in a Bose product, they would not buy that product. Also, I agree with you on it taking along time for Bose to include the Dolby Digital processor. But, your ignorance on why they waited holds your argument back. Bose waited because at the time (1998), less than 10% of Americans owned anything digital. It wasn't a priority. Also, they wanted to make a digital system that the other, and more important, 90% could use. The outcome...1998 Bose releases upgraded Lifestyle systems that include the Dolby Digital processor AND the Videostage 5 processor that will play any source (even Mono) in 5.1 channel (5 channels matrix). Now, how is that not providing for what a customer wants and needs??? Also, your argument on DTS is roadkill here. You and I and others here know what DTS is. 95% of my customers haven't a clue what DTS is or ever heard of it. So, beyond your "thoughts," Bose is in fact providing what our customers want. I'm sorry you feel that Bose is not up to your standards, but that's OK. You have a choice and an opinion.

-Jeff

------------------
My Site
Old 01-16-01, 01:05 AM

Brian: First thing's first - you can mark me down as one of those people in the DTS camp. However, I do not think you need rush right out and purchase a DTS receiver right away. My best advice would be to try and find a friend that has a DD/DTS receiver and demo their system. Your other option is to head out to you local higher-end audio store and see if they have any "demo rooms" set-up. Most of the time, the high-end AV stores (at least in my area) will have different rooms equipped with various receivers/decoders/speakers.

Just to throw my $0.02 in the ring about the whole Bose thing... Personally, I don't own Bose speakers or a Bose receiver - and I would never purchase them. However, that is just my personal opinion. It's up to the consumer to buy what they want. I just always hate seeing these threads that have anything Bose in them turning into a "bash Bose" session. I'm sure they are a quality product - just not my choice.

------------------
"PC Load Letter?!?"

The Widescreen FAQ
My Home Theater
My Growing DVD Collection
Old 01-16-01, 10:27 AM

Well said, Bose Pro and Bartley.

-Gonnosuke
Old 01-16-01, 10:35 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Bose Pro:
Brain-
Unfortuately the speakers cannot be plugged directly into the DVD player because they would lack the proper amplification and crossovers. That's all in the sub. And there is no sub line because the amp is on the sub.
<HR>

I wish you would stop referring to that POS bass module as a sub. It doesn't even closely resemble the sound of a sub. The bass module simply produces the mid bass that all Bose cubes lack.

Sorry if this was an off topic rant, but I was in a mall with a Bose store yesterday and it made me sick that a whole store was devoted to this crap.

I have a DTS system and do not think that there is a very noticable improvement over DD. If your DD Bose system sounds good to you then great, but i despise Bose and consider them the biggest rip-offs on the market today.

Old 01-16-01, 11:05 AM
Banned

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Bose Pro:
Bose waited because at the time (1998), less than 10% of Americans owned anything digital. It wasn't a priority. Also, they wanted to make a digital system that the other, and more important, 90% could use.
<HR>

This perfectly proves my point. As usual Bose didn't apply any forward thinking, and now this poor guy can't enjoy digital surround formats. Sure at the time, there weren't many DVDs with Dolby Digital encoding, but there sure are now. Bose decided to take the easy and cheap route and now this guy is stuck with a rather expensive surround system that is only "simulated" pro logic. Yes, Bose is one of the highest selling consumer electronics companies, (I'll never understand why), but with a little intelligence and forethought, they could be so much more.
Old 01-16-01, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Green Jello I think bosepro was trying to say that BOSE products fit the needs of BOSE customers. In other words, BOSE is the product of choice for the uninformed so it doesn't really matter what features they include.
Old 01-16-01, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My take on Bose is that they are to audio like Chevy is to autos. If one is happy with them, cool, but one's money can be better spent
Old 01-16-01, 12:11 PM

Ok kids...this wasn't meant to start a war! I am VERY happy with my BOSE system and wouldn't trade it for any other at this time. Perhaps some of you think BOSE is a joke and you're entitled to your own opinions HOWEVER there is no need to bash those who have chosen the product and seem to get a lot out of it. I'm sure there is a lot of other great home theatre systems out there, but am very happy with my selection. I had a simple question about it, period. It doesn't make me regret the fact that I bought an expensive system and it doesn't support DTS. It's ok with me and in the future if DTS does really take over the market then I'll consider upgrading to another system. I think my system sounds incredible and again, I am very satisfied with the quality. For all of you who wish to continue to bash other's because of their choises and optinions or what products we might buy, please, give it a rest already.
Thank you to all of you who gave me such valuable information as I am now spinning with all your comments.

Thanks again,
Brian

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.