Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Disabling digital copy protection through digital i/o

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Disabling digital copy protection through digital i/o

Old 01-13-01, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey folks,

Just a quick question about protection of digital audio streams from DVDs. Just got the Hollow Man DVD, and there is an isolated score track with commentary by Jerry Goldsmith. I'd though it'd be cool to hook up an digital optical connection from my Pioneer Dv333 to my DAT deck (which has optical inputs) so I could just record the commentary to my DAT deck and listen to it at a later date, without having to be near the dvd player (I'm a musician myself and this stuff is really interesting to me). The digital signal locks to the DAT deck, except it won't let me record. My Sony DAT deck has "Copy protection" light that lights up. I'm assuming there is some sort of copy protection on the audio tracks for the DVD. My question is this: Is there any way to bypass this with my DVD player? Any way to disable the copyprotection lock so I can record it to DAT? I suppose it's not a big deal - I guess I could record it to cassette and listen there but I'm such a pureist, and would love to do it digitally Any ideas?

Old 01-13-01, 06:51 PM
X
Administrator

Received 149 Likes on 120 Posts
There are devices that remove the copy protection subcode. I have one that also converts coax to optical in and out in all combinations. Very handy for a DAT.

You can input it into a computer soundcard, then out to your DAT. Or buy a professional level DAT that doesn't have SCMS problems.