Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Toshiba SD1200 problems?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Toshiba SD1200 problems?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-00, 04:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, here's something I've noticed about the SD1200 model from Toshiba since I purchased it. It seems not to handle double layer disks well. I think thats the problem, but let me describe the conditions below . . .

Three movies I've watched seem to have "issues" when they get to certain points in the movies. The Abyss, American History X, and The Dark Crystal, all of which are double layered disks.

Now I know that sometimes you notice a slight pause sometimes, but in the Abyss, at the end of chapter 27, it seems to abruptly pause without grace after Hippie does his line about the sphincter-factor of the current situation. It then pauses and lurkes into the next scene where you see Coffey. This is a repeatable incident.

In American History X, its an abrupt pause right during the middle of a scene somewhere past half after Derek and his kid brother are leaving the party/meeting/rally and Derek is trying to get his brother to calm down. It is sort of like a stutter stop, brienfly pausing, and is very noticeable and repeatable.

The Dark Crystal Special Edition (a wicked movie, if you havent seen it I advise you do. Classic pupettiering from Frank Oz and Jim Henson) has the worst of all three glitches. At between 15-20minutes left in the movie, a scene involving the Skeksis literringly goes into a stuttering loop, and will not continue without pause-frame-advancing a frame or two, then it will continue. This is repeatable and VERY annoying :-(

Now, if anyone out there has seen any of these movies on the Toshiba SD1200, please let me know your experiences. Any other comments, suggestions in general are MORE then welcome. I'd like to know if it is just MY SD1200, or a problem with the brand line.

Thank you in advance,
Mike
Old 08-21-00, 06:13 PM

Not sure if it's just you, but I haven't heard anything bad about Toshibas, I have a 1200 myself, tried the Abyss track that you suggested, and those around it, and I can't reproduce any problems.

I have found that this type of problem, on other DVD players, are generally fixed with a firmware upgrade. Completely covered by warranty. You might want to try that.
Old 08-21-00, 08:05 PM

do a search in the forum. What you are discussing has been posted ad nauseum in other threads. Toshiba DVD players, though extremely high in quality/value, have had a lot of problems with their firmware which causes viewing difficulties with certain movies, including double layer disks. You should be able to get an upgrade at the dealer. If you want more info though, do a search.
Old 08-21-00, 08:17 PM

My toshiba 2109 has no problems with dual-layer discs, including the matrix. (Firmware V2.400 i think)
Old 01-12-01, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No one ever mentioned the layer change. The small pause you see is when the laser changes layers.