Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Paused DVD dims TV screen

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Paused DVD dims TV screen

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-01, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I pause my DVD player to leave a still on the screen, the player dims the TV screen after a few minutes.

Do all DVD players do this? Is it only on some models? Is my player broken?

I would appreciate any information about this. I'd like to use a DVD player to present slides during a marketing presentation. Having the screen darken every few minutes won't look too good.
Old 01-10-01, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's a screen saver mode that a bunch of players have. You can usually turn it off in the player's on screen menu if it's bothering you.

PS: Welcome to the forum

[This message has been edited by edclem (edited January 10, 2001).]
Old 01-11-01, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What model player do you have? Someone else might have the same model and could explain how to turn off the dimming feature. With mine, the menu with the screen saver adjustment is only accessible when the player is on, but the disc is stopped.
Old 01-11-01, 10:53 AM

I have a Phillips DVD940.

The preferences menu is only accessible when the disc is stopped or unloaded. No reference to screensaver or any obvious alternate term on the menu or in the owners manual.
Old 01-11-01, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You should leave this screen saver on!! If it is paused too long it can burn an image into your TV screen!
Old 01-11-01, 12:20 PM

As in many business situations, damage to a piece of equipment (in this case a TV screen) is a risk you sometimes have to take. You can't have the graphics go away in the middle of a presentation. If this shortens the life of a TV set, it's an acceptable cost.

In reality, the risk is very low.

That kind of damage usually happens from extremely long, accumulated exposure to one image. An example would be a computer showing the same spreadsheet 8 hours a day for months.

Leaving a still frame from a DVD on screen for even an hour or so shouldn't cause any harm. I'm trying to show a paused still for a few minutes before advancing to the next scene.