Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

DVD, VCR combination, how to ?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DVD, VCR combination, how to ?

Old 01-01-01, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greeting DVDr's

Currently I have a black and red (RCA) connection wire and a video wire (RCA) connection for VCR.
DVD has a 3 RCA wires a gold one a red and white one, plus a weird round plugin for video.
I disconnect the VCR completely for DVD hookup and vice versa, but
How do I connect together or is their a switch to use ? Thanks

DVDfrank
Old 01-01-01, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Troll, or move to home theater?

------------------
Alvis
The more I learn, the less I know.
Old 01-01-01, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi DVD Frank, welcome to the Forum and to DVDtalk. Questions about DVD hardware are better posted in the DVD Hardware forum.

However, you normally can't use the VCR inputs from your DVD player, as the player has anti-copying built in that will cause problems when viewed thru a VCR. The best option is a Receiver that you can use to switch the signal (and output much better sound) or at least use the wierd round (S-Video) plug directly to your TV (if your TV can handle it).

You can buy a video switch to hook up both the VCR and DVD to your TV, but that is not the best long term solution. You can get them at places like Radio Shack.

Moving Thread

Randyc

------------------
It's okay to be afraid, it's the Other Forum
Old 01-01-01, 05:03 PM

What kind of TV do you have and how many and what kind of inputs does it have.

Do you have a receiver or do you connect the VCR and DVD directly to the TV?

Is you VCR a mono or Hi-Fi stereo model?
Old 01-02-01, 09:26 AM

Kinda along the same topic...

I've got a new dvdplayer (samsung c600), vcr, digital cable box and n64. As of right now, I can only hookup the n64 or dvd.

My tv (Magnavox) as an s-video, one set of yellow, red and white (sorry I don't know the exact terms) and one set of just red and white.

Currently, I have the dvd hooked through the s-video, but unless I use the red, yellow and white hookups there is so sound for the dvd. So I have to unhook the n64 to use the dvd and visa versa (kinda like the dvd vcr thing).

So, my question is, is there a way that I can hook both up at the same time? If I'm correct that the yellow is for video why do I have to waste the s-video connection and the yellow video connection both on the dvd?

Also, when I use the dvd under the current setup, I have to turn the sound up pretty high to get regular levels and then when I go back to the tv, it's really loud.

So...any help that you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

I've been lurking around here for the last month or so and gotten some really good deals and the people seem to be some of the most helpful...
Old 01-02-01, 12:16 PM

DealHuntinMom,
If I understand your problem correctly, you only have one S-video connection, but 4 things you need to connect using S-video...

most electronics dealers sell a multi-s-video adapter which allows you to plus in 4 s-vid connections to it and then to your 1 s-vid connection in your tv.

unless you have a good receiver that will act like a splitter.
Old 01-02-01, 01:50 PM

SoSpacey,

Well, is S-video the round connector or the yellow? If it is the yellow, then yes I have two things (dvd and N64) needing it.

But part of my original question is why do I have to use the S-video(if it's the round) and the yellow for the dvd?

Which picture stream am I really viewing?

Thanks to all who try to even understand what I'm saying, since it's hard even for me.
Old 01-03-01, 05:18 AM

DealHuntinMom

Red, white and yellow are known as RCA or composite cables, the red and white is for the audio and the yellow is for the video.

The alternative video connection (a better one image quality wise) is S-Video which is a larger round black connection with multiple holes.

From what you are saying I have to assume you have one set of video in connections comprising of the three composite and one S-Video connections mentioned above.

The red and white is probably a set of audio outs which are meant to be connected to a receiver so that you can listen to TV programs through a receiver.

Assuming the above is correct ignore the set of red and white connections.

Therefore the deduction would be that you have one set of video inputs and two devices - DVD and N64.

For the record as far as the DVD player is concerned all you need to have plugged in to receive both video and sound from it is either the red, white and yellow or red, white and S-Video, not all four.

WRT the N64 the same applies as above, although if you want to use S-Video with it then you have to buy a proprietory S-Video/composite audio (red and white) cable specially made for the N64. This can be purchased from any places like Electronics Boutique, Software Etc., Toys R Us, Best Buy, Frys etc.

Therefore if you want to hook up the DVD and N64 at the same time to this one set of inputs you will have to buy an A/V switch box. These usually cost between $20 and $100. You then plug the N64 and DVD as mentioned above into two sets of inputs on the switch box. Then you connect one set of cables from the switchbox's output to the TV's input. You will have to make a choice and either go with composite only (red, white and yellow) for both DVD and N64. Or purchase the special S-Video/composite cable for the N64 and connect both DVD and N64 using S-Video/composite audio (red and white only). The output from the switch box would be the exact same cables as you use for the inputs from the DVD player and the N64 to it.

I hope this makes sense and is not more confusing. If you have any other questions please post them here and hopefully I or some one else will be able to answer them.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 01-03-01, 09:35 AM

cloud,

If I'm understanding your advice:

1. Buy a switchbox

2. Buy an extra set of cables to connect the switch box to my tv, as my device cables will be used to connect to the switch box.

3. If I buy a set of composite (red,yellow and white), that's how I'll view both the dvd and N64

4. If I buy the special S-video/composite audio cables, I can use my S-video connection(better image quality)

My questions:

1. Assuming I buy the S-video/composite cable, will I use the the set of three composite inputs and just leave the yellow empty since this cable would not support that?

2. If I do that will my sound be the same, since when I tried it with my current cables the sound was very low and there was background noise when using the dvd.

3. The cable I have now for the dvd and would use with the switch box has three connectors and the dvd has four outs under the audio connection. Which ones do I use or do I need a different cable?

Thank so much in advance to whomever takes the time to answer these questions. This place it GRRRREAT!!
Old 01-04-01, 03:03 AM

Advice:
1)Yes
2)Yes
3)Yes
4)Yes

Questions:
1)Yes - if you S-Video there is no need to connect the composite video (yellow) cable.

2)Not sure but probably yes. This has something to do with your TV speakers/volume as that is what you are using for sound. Without hearing it I could not be more specific.

3)You have to decide as I mentioned above.
a)Composite audio (red and white) and S-Video (for video)
OR
b)Composite audio (red and white) and composite video (yellow) for video.
You have to be consistant. Either use option "a" with both DVD and N64 or use option "b" with both DVD and N64. If you want to use option "a" then you will have to buy the special N64 S-Video cable (this is a three in one cable that comprises of red and white audio connections and an S-video connection like the one pictured below.

N64 S-Video Cable

Looks like the image link does not work for some reason, but if you click on the link below it you will see what I mean.

------------------

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.

[This message has been edited by cloud (edited January 04, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by cloud (edited January 04, 2001).]
Old 01-04-01, 12:53 PM

cloud,

Thanks again for all the great advice. I'm going to buy the switchbox and special N64 cable for s-video. That way I'll get the better picture using both my dvd and N64.

Once I get it hooked up this weekend, I'll post my results.
Old 01-05-01, 12:28 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by DealHuntinMom:
cloud,

Thanks again for all the great advice. I'm going to buy the switchbox and special N64 cable for s-video. That way I'll get the better picture using both my dvd and N64.

Once I get it hooked up this weekend, I'll post my results.
<HR>

You are welcome.

Just make sure that the cables coming out of your switch box are the same as the ones going in from the DVD player and N64.

------------------

Old 01-10-01, 11:44 AM

cloud,

No I didn't really decide to go with the receiver, but if it was a good deal, I would have gotten one.

I'm actually stilllll searching for the N64 s-video adapter. I've checked K B Toys, Electronics Boutique, Radio Shack, Best Buy, Circuit City etc with no luck. Would anyone else have another suggestion?
Old 01-11-01, 12:06 AM

The Rage

Tronix Web - look under US accessories on the linked page.

Both of these online places have it in stock. They are a little more expensive ($15) but they are reliable. They sell mostly Japanese import videogames and accessories. The S-Video cable will work with any N64 including the American systems.

By the way if you decide to order anything else, especially games make sure they are US games as import games will not work with most US systems without modification the the system.

------------------

[This message has been edited by cloud (edited January 10, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by cloud (edited January 10, 2001).]