Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-01, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why would my "PROTECTOR" message come on my receiver when I play a DVD in something other than "NORMAL SURROUND"?? The message comes on and disconnects the sound? I have even turned down the sub-woofer in the rear and it still comes on. It works fine on "NORMAL SURROUND"?? I have had this sysem for 2 months and all of a sudden this happened. The wiring is the same however I did move the front speakers down a foot or 2. I checked the wiring on the speakers and they look fine.
Old 01-09-01, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

more info please.

what is the make/model of the receiver?

is the receiver running "hot"?

does it cut off at any other time?

did you at some point switch your fronts from "small" to "large" or vice versa?

what is "normal surround"? if you are trying to apply effects to a 5.1 soundtrack, i wouldn't recommend it and many receivers don't do it.

------------------
chess' DVDs chess' Web Site
chess' modest home theater:
61" Sony RPTV KP-61S75, Panasonic A-120U, Pioneer VSX-D509S, Energy e:XL-16 front and surround (birch), Energy e:XL-C, Sony SA-WM40
Old 01-09-01, 01:42 PM

Thanks for the reply..Here is the info that you requested:
Receiver Model is a 2000 Sony 845DE. The sub-woofer is a Definitive ProSub80.
I'm not sure what you mean by running "hot"? I do have the SW plugged in directly to the recv'r in the back under "Audio Out" which has worked just fine for the past 2 months.
I have not changed fonts as I didn't even know that you could.
I can control the front/center speakers as far as db's (1 to 10 and down to -1) but I can't find anywhere on the remote or recv'r to set the db's on the SW?? The manual says that I should be able to but I can't figure out how.
Also, when we are watching a DVD there is sometimes a thumping sound coming from the SW and I have tried turning it down in the back of the SW and it still "thumps"??
This"PROTECTOR" thing has just happened recently and we can't pinpoint exactly when but I will go in the back of the recv'r and check all of the wiring and also the speaker wires. I still can't figure out why the warning comes on in small hall, stadium, etc but it is fine on Normal Surround?? I believe that you're right that Normal Surround is for the 5.1 channel which I don't have but the DVD seems to work on it??
Sorry, about the "book" explaination but I am not too proficient on audio so I had to explain it like it is..
thanks again for any help that you can give me...
Old 01-09-01, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

ok, i'm still lost, but let's give this a shot.

let me preface this by noting that when your receiver goes into "protect" mode, it doesn't generally mean that there is something wrong with it. it usually is protecting itself from being fried by human error.

by running "hot", i mean is the thing getting hot when you play it?

your sony is a 5.1 receiver, and i'm assuming you are running 5 speakers plus the sub. are you using a digital connection from your DVD player or just the red/white RCA cables?

switching fronts: one of your menus should have a setting for the size/range of your speakers. on my pioneer, it looks like this: f-s s-s c-s (translated front-small, surround small, center small) there should also be options to turn your subwoofer on and set the crossover (where the sub kicks in).

no need to "set the dbs" on your sub. the dbs on your speakers should be set based on their proximity to you.

thumps? i would say in general that this means it is set up wrong. "audio out"? is there not a connection labled something like "subwoofer out"? if so, start using it immidiately.

still haven't answered anything have i? i'm trying.

one more question: on "normal surround", are you getting sound out of all 5 speakers or just the front 2 and the sub?

------------------
61" Sony RPTV KP-61S75, Panasonic A-120U, Pioneer VSX-D509S, Energy e:XL-16 front and surround (birch), Energy e:XL-C, Sony SA-WM40
Old 01-09-01, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Unplug all the speaker wires, and play a DD 5.1 DVD. Do you get the PROTECTOR message? If not, turn off receiver, connect one of the speaker and play the DVD, check for PROTECTOR message. Do this for the next 4 speakers. If you get the message at one of the speakers, you either have a short in the wiring or the speaker itself.

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs
Old 01-09-01, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

great suggestion patrick.

that test should tell him (her?) quite a bit.

i would like to verify, though, that he (she) is connecting the dvd player to the receiver digitally prior to said test.

i was also trying to figure out if he (she) was missing something in the basic setup menu.

but if he does have something hooked up wrong (which is a distinct possibility) that is a great way to track it down.

------------------
Old 01-09-01, 07:34 PM

Patman hit it right on the head. I'd be willing to bet you flush out the problem if you go ahead and follow his instructions.

Good luck,

Gonnosuke