Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Wega and Multiple Video Imput Question

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Wega and Multiple Video Imput Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-01, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have four video inputs (DVD, PVR, PS2, and VCR). My 27" Wega apparently has four video channels. However, there appears to be only three video access ports on the back (one, three, and four). The first port can take composite RCA's or S-video. When I use the third port (for composite RCA's only), I get a serious degradation in video quality.

One solution is to use a switcher, and another solution is to use a pair of Y-connectors to the first (and good quality) port. However, I don't really want to use a switcher. I'd just as soon use all the available ports, since the Wega allows easy access (and video channel labeling). So, what am I doing wrong? And how do I find the hookup for the second channel? (Sorry, don't have the model number for the Wega at the moment.)

Scott
Old 01-03-01, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I could be wrong but do have a video input on the front of your TV? That might be input 2.

What is a PVR?
Old 01-03-01, 02:00 PM

Another thought...
I am sure your TV has a coax input as well. You can run your VCR into that. As soon as I know what a PVR is, I can tell you the best way to hook up your system....
Old 01-03-01, 02:16 PM

AndreMike:

Oh, yeah, I forgot all about the port in the front (I don't ever use that - don't like cables dangling in the front). I'll test that out, but I'm sure you're right.

PVR - personal video recorder, aka digital recorder, aka TiVo. (Found a deal I couldn't refuse.)

Hope that helps. Right now, I've got the DVD and VCR both going into port 1, and the game going into one of the others. That works fine (except the video channel label says DVD and not DVD/VCR). I think I've used the coax input with cable. There is an aux imput, but using that requires an "antenna switch", and it's never worked like I thought it should. There's also some monitor ports, but I can't figure out if those are input or output. Btw, the manual that came with the Wega is no help at all.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scott (edited January 03, 2001).]
Old 01-03-01, 03:26 PM

Try this...
INPUT #1: DVD player into S-video (see end for audio)
INPUT #3: PVR
INPUT #4: PS2 or you can plug it in the front
As far as the cable goes you should split the cable coming in then send one to the cable box(if you have one) and the other to the VHF input. (this will allow you to use the tuner that the TV has) From the output of the cable box you should go into the VCR.(this will allow you to record movies) use the coax out of the VCR into the coax AUX of the TV. If you don't have a cable box then just put the cable into the VCR. You can then change the channels from the VCR if you like.
If you plug your PS2 in the front then use the RCA out form the VCR into INPUT #4. use the COAX as well. This will give you more options in your viewing setup.

This will allow you to use the 2 tuner PIP I think your TV has.

I hope this is not to confusing... let me know I will help you some more.

Do you have a reciever in this setup??
If so you can take the audio out from the TV and put in the reciever. You will also have to change a setting in the TV Audio menu to fixed) (This will not give you 5.1 sound from the DVD player.) You will have to plug the coax,optical, or 5.1 channels into the reciever(not the red and white)
Old 01-03-01, 04:01 PM

Thanks for the good ideas.

Right now, the audio from the DVD and the VCR go to different channels on the receiver, the PS2 audio goes to the TV speakers, and the TV has an option to use the TV speakers or go to the receiver for surround (I think 5.1, since I can detect separate sound from each front and surround). I think the receiver still has room for PVR audio, should I choose to go that way (it will depend on the quality of the PVR recording). The receiver lets one choose regular stereo, Pro Logic, and a number of speaker combinations (I have a center, two fronts, two surrounds, and a sub).

I've already split the cable - to TV, to VCR, and now to PVR.

What about the problem of the poor video quality on port three? That's using composite RCA cables that came with the PVR. I'm getting black and white, instead of color. When I route the PVR to port one (currently shared by VCR and DVD), I get a fabulous video.

The other problem is to make this easy enough so that the rest of the household can remember how to watch each source without a written guide (I'm trying a universal remote that should control all viewing situations, rather than a bucketful of remotes).

I'll check out your ideas tonight, and let you know what happens.

Scott
Old 01-03-01, 04:16 PM

Have you tried running the vcr outputs(RCA) to port 3? If this gives you a bad picture as well then I would suspect something is wrong with you TV.

If you want to make it easy then just use the setup that I mentioned. Use the audio out from your TV into the stereo. Then wire the audio from your DVD player to the stereo.
Now all you have to do is press the TV/VIDEO button on the TV depending on what your doing/watching. This way no one in the house has to mess with the stereo, except to raise the volume. Unless of course you are watching DVD then you need to select that on your stereo. (I am assuming you have dolby digital on your stereo)
Old 01-03-01, 04:32 PM

Seems to me that I did have this problem when I installed the other video inputs, but I'll check. The Wega is still new enough to be fixable.

Maybe I've got this all started wrong. The receiver has a separate channel for the TV sound, the DVD sound, the VCR sound, the tuner, and the CD. I'm not using the phono at the moment (I think that must be amplified more than the others).

So this means if one wants to watch just broadcast TV, one can just turn on the TV (and still have the option of TV speakers or full house speakers). If one wants to watch a DVD, then the DVD has to be loaded, the receiver tuned to DVD, and the TV video tuned to DVD. If one wants to watch a tape, then the VCR has to be loaded, the receiver tuned to VCR, and the TV video tuned to VCR. If one plays a game, the the PS2 is loaded, and the TV video tuned to Game. Some in my household find this complicated.

To top it off, the universal remote hasn't been taught to change channels on the receiver. At least, once the whole thing has been started, one can just use the universal to adjust the volume and pause/start/menu the DVD or VCR. Haven't gotten a TiVo code for the universal yet.

Sigh.
Old 01-03-01, 04:39 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Scott:
[B]
Maybe I've got this all started wrong. The receiver has a separate channel for the TV sound, the DVD sound, the VCR sound, the tuner, and the CD. I'm not using the phono at the moment (I think that must be amplified more than the others).

So this means if one wants to watch just broadcast TV, one can just turn on the TV (and still have the option of TV speakers or full house speakers). If one wants to watch a DVD, then the DVD has to be loaded, the receiver tuned to DVD, and the TV video tuned to DVD. If one wants to watch a tape, then the VCR has to be loaded, the receiver tuned to VCR, and the TV video tuned to VCR. If one plays a game, the the PS2 is loaded, and the TV video tuned to Game. Some in my household find this complicated.
B]
<HR>

Personally I find that the setup I mentioned above is much easier but the way you are doing it is just fine. Its just you don't get ant benefits of using the TV's speakers over the stereo speakers. At least with the stereo speakers you get surround sound when you are watching TV.

Having your PS2 coming out of the stereo would sound great!

[This message has been edited by ANDREMIKE (edited January 03, 2001).]
Old 01-03-01, 04:53 PM

Why do I keep the option of using the TV speakers? Sure the game sounds great on the house speakers, but when the kids are playing those damn fighting games at midnight, I don't really want to hear every grunt instead of sleeping peacefully.

And sometimes, the quality of broadcast TV doesn't warrant full sound.

I'll check out your setup, test the three port, and let you know. Thanks for all the input!

Scott
Old 01-03-01, 04:56 PM

but when the kids are playing those damn fighting games at midnight, I don't really want to hear every grunt instead of sleeping peacefully.
<HR>

Ah!!!! That can definitely be a problem!!!
Old 01-04-01, 02:50 AM

Why do I keep the option of using the TV speakers? Sure the game sounds great on the house speakers, but when the kids are playing those damn fighting games at midnight, I don't really want to hear every grunt instead of sleeping peacefully.

Scott
<HR>

More to the point what are your kids doing up at midnight playing video games? Should they not be in bed?

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 01-04-01, 09:31 AM

Don't forget to take advantage of the 16x9 enhancement on your Sony Vega. Just make sure your dvd player is outputting the 16x9 picture signal! Movies look so damn good!

Jesse
Old 01-04-01, 10:12 AM

Update:
Well, even though I didn't get home until after eleven last night, I did get the digital recorder to look and sound good by patching the video in to the shared DVD/VCR input, and running the sound through the receiver. However, this morning I wondered if that means I can't watch DVD's (it's okay for the VCR and the DVD to share a port, since both of them would not be operating at the same time, but the digital recorder is "on" all the time). I'll have more time to test tonight.

Cloud - Why are the kids up at midnight? I just can't reason with fifteen year old twins. Short of military school, what can I do? (No, don't move this thread to a different forum, that was just an aside.)

Jesse - I haven't experimented with the 16x9 formatting too much. It looked like doing that made the image smaller. (You're talking about the adjustment in the "Set-Up" menu, right?)
Old 01-05-01, 09:51 AM

Yeah, the 16x9 enhancement is in the setup menu. Now, it may look like it makes the image smaller but look at the resolution! I highly suggest using any Pixar DVD(Bugs Life, Toy Story) or Gladiator to test it out. Just make sure your DVD player is set to output the 16x9 Widescreen picture, not the 4:3 Letterbox. Once you do that and then play the movie with your TV set to 16x9 enhance ON you will see a HUGE difference in the picture quality.

Of course this means that you have to toggle between ON and OFF if you have non-anamorphic DVD's.

Regular anamorphic DVD's playing in 16x9 enhancement take up the same amount of space as the regular 4:3 letterbox setup....except 16x9 looks hella better! Try it out! Once I discovered that option, I have a new found love for my TV!

Jesse
Old 01-05-01, 10:14 AM

I have a similar set up, like you Scott

Maybe my setup can help.

Here is a list of what I have hooked up.

My TV
------
Sony Vega KV27S12

My Sound System
-----------------
Aiwa NSX-DS11 Mini Surround System with optical Dolby Digital Decoder, and regular analog stereo inputs.

My Components
-----------------
Sony DVD Player(DVP-s360)
Sega Dreamcast
Sony Playstation
JVC VCR(S-VHS)
Apex AD-600
Nintendo 8 Bit
Sega Genesis
Super NES
Multi System Selector with S-Video

Now as you can see I have alot of stuff hooked up to my TV and sound system, but it's set up wonderfully without a problem.

I HIGHLY SUGGEST PICKING UP A SYSTEM SELECTOR WITH S-VIDEO!!! These things are a Godsend for people with lots of stuff to hook up!! No more sharing ports or Y-cables!

Sony DVD Player: Is hooked up to the TV via component video inputs and connected to the sound system via optical cable. If your receiver does have optical inputs then I suggest you use it so you can get true 5.1 surround sound. You can also hook up your DVD player via S-video (port1)instead of component.

You should have your DVD player hooked up in a special way thats different from the rest of your stuff.

Now, as for the rest of your components you can hook them up seperately or share ports. I really dont suggest sharing ports with Y cables because it does cause interference.

Let me know if you still need more help. I'll be glad to offer any advice

Jesse

Old 01-05-01, 11:07 AM

Jesse:

Thanks for the help! This is what makes this forum my favorite (even over the one I moderate).

What kind of switcher do you have? (Or is Multi System a brand name?) Where did you get it? I'm concerned about having another device to control. Can this be automated into a macro on a remote? Will using the switcher mean that I don't have to change the video channel on the Wega and audio channel on the receiver each time I move from device to device?

I didn't get a chance to do much testing on the system last night, but I can report that using the Y-connector did not make any degradation in video quality, nor did the setup prevent me from using the DVD. And the audio is already on separate channels. I just need to learn how to use the receiver and Wega hook-up panels better.

I suspect my system is of a lesser grade than yours, but I still have lots of room for upgrading. I'm using the Wega, Kenwood receiver/tuner, ProScan DVD (great deal for the price), Philips digital recorder, Pioneer CD changer, both PSX and PS2, an okay Samsung VCR, Fisher front speakers, Infinity center, old but nice Advent surrounds, and the sub (can't recall the off-brand right now). I'll be calibrating the speakers and video very shortly. HT is a great way to buy new toys!

Still learning,
Scott
Old 01-05-01, 02:05 PM

You can pick up a system selector from your local Electronics Boutique. The one I have is made by a company called "Pelican" and it only costs $19.99

It performs wonderfully. I have 4 things hooked up to it and they are all going into 1 input on the TV. So, you can have all of them ON and just by switching the box you can jump from one source to another. You have to hit the button for the source you want. There is no remote.

This will allow you to switch from one source to another and NOT have to switch your receiver since the sound coming out of the TV will be that of the source selected on your system selector. It comes in handy BIGTIME.

I wouldn't hook my DVD player through it. Hook it up seperately. If your receiver has and optical input on it then I highly suggest you run the sound from your player through the receiver and not your TV. If you run the DVD sound through the TV and from the TV to the receiver then you will only get Stereo/Pro Logic type surround sound. Why not just bypass the sound to the TV all together and hook up the optical cable to the receiver?? The sound difference is incredible! If you need more help let me know!

Jesse
Old 01-05-01, 02:37 PM

Oh, and another thing..

If you don't have an S-Video Cable or Component Video Cables(RCA Cables)then you aren't getting the best picture your TV and DVD player have to offer. Sure, you'll get a nice picture with regular composite(Yellow video cable that is stuck together with the red/white sound cables)but S-video and Component really make a difference.

Here's a checklist of what you should have to get the most out of what you have.

1. S-video cable or Component Video cables for your DVD Player.

2. S-Video Cable for your Playstation(sold at Electronics Boutique for $9.99)

3. Optical Cable for your DVD Player. Kinda expensive but it's a hella lot better than standard red and white rca cables for sound! Optical cable sends the raw digital sound signal from the DVD source to the receiver which in turn "decodes" the signal and sends the sounds to the 5.1 channels.

The rest of the stuff can be hooked up through regular RCA(red/white)cables in the system selector.

Jesse
Old 01-05-01, 05:54 PM

Hey, I was just browsing around, and I think I've found just the thing I was looking for.

Look at http://www.accessories4less.com/advs...&sPrice=117.77

And on sale, too!

Any comments on this device?
Old 01-05-01, 05:59 PM

Cool but I don't think its worth $118.00. Its not that difficult to change the input on your TV. There is a big button on the front of the TV that says TV/VIDEO. You can even do it by remote.
Old 01-05-01, 06:11 PM

Well, AndreMike, that's what I thought, too. But it would seem that either a) there's something wrong with both my Wega and my receiver, or b) I'm doing some hookup wrong.

Besides, I thought the whole idea of HT was to acquire bigger and better gadgets! Next, I want one that "knows" when I want to switch from broadcast TV to DVD, and which disc to select. Just kidding. Well, maybe not. Next, I want to calibrate everything, then I want to upgrade my speaker wiring, then.... Just picked up my SPL meter this afternoon.
Old 01-08-01, 03:28 PM

Followup:

I went back to the store where I purchased the Wega and talked to Joe (nice and knowledgable professional salesman), and he pointed out that the video 3 hookup required a component cable (the one with red, green, and blue) instead of composite (red, white, and yellow) (did I get those names right?). Doh. Sure enough, that did the trick. All the audio goes through the receiver, so everything looks great and sounds great.

So what's the difference in composite and component, other than color? What's inside that would make a difference?

Scott
Old 01-09-01, 08:17 AM

Well, in a nutshell, component offers a better transfer of the color signals to your TV. More like a "fresh from the oven" kinda analogy There's alot of tech talk about the differences between component, composite and S-Video(chroma, luminance, etc)but I just use component and s-video...they are the best.

By the way, were you able to get the 16x9 enhancement features to work???

Glad to hear you got your stuff set up right!

Jesse
Old 01-09-01, 10:00 AM

I tried the 16x9 enhancement (if that's the item on the setup menu), but all it seemed to do was make the widescreen smaller. Ther may have been a very slight improvement in the sharpness of the image, but the loss in size didn't seem to be worth it. The Wega has a pretty nice picture without the enhancement. (I might feel differently after I finish the calibrations.)

But I'm still curious about why component works better than composite. Is there a different conducting material? Different shielding? Maybe I should go back to that web site that talks about DIY cabling. What would happen if I used high-grade coax with RCA ends instead of component? I know that using coax eliminated all the hum from my sub. And it was a lot cheaper than Monster sub cabling. (Uh-oh, he just admitted to using cheap substitutes.)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.