Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

customers are ignorant, PLEASE read this and post thoughts

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

customers are ignorant, PLEASE read this and post thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-01, 01:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i work at best buy, and today a customer came up to me and told me he wanted to run his dvd player through his "stereo" and he wanted to know what cables he needed. I told him he could use the cables that came with the dvd player, but he insisted he wanted NEW CABLES. Ok, i point him to the $26 monster rca cables, and he said no i'm not paying for that. So i show him the gold tipped recoton cables for $12 and he wanted those. So he asks me how to hook it up and i tell him, and somehow he mentions that he has it hooked up through his VCR.... so i ask him if there is a problem with the video and he tells me the contrast is going in and out. I proceed to tell him about the RF Modulator that we carry for 30$ and he tells me he doesn't want to spend the money on it..... I told him that it was a "crime" to watch dvds like that and he said he will "wait 'til he gets one of those big screen tvs" to watch it correctly"!!!!! I could not talk this guy into buying a $30 RF modulator that he NEEDED , but he spent $12 on CABLES THAT WOULD DO HIM NO GOOD! AHHH! IDIOT!!!
Old 01-04-01, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Why buy a DVD Player if you are going hook it up through your VCR?
Old 01-04-01, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Which Best Buy do you work at? I go to the new one that just opened in Iselin.
Old 01-04-01, 11:18 AM

An RF-modulator will not clear up Macrovision. Are you saying he needed an RF-modulator to hook the DVD player to the TV?
Then you were correct. However this wouldn't of solved his problem because now how does he hook up his VCR(assuming he had only one coax input) He would of needed an A/B switch. You should of explained the procedure for hooking up the VCR and the DVD player to the TV correctly.

The thing about the cables though...thats funny...
Old 01-04-01, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by ANDREMIKE:
An RF-modulator will not clear up Macrovision. Are you saying he needed an RF-modulator to hook the DVD player to the TV?
Then you were correct. However this wouldn't of solved his problem because now how does he hook up his VCR(assuming he had only one coax input) He would of needed an A/B switch. You should of explained the procedure for hooking up the VCR and the DVD player to the TV correctly.

The thing about the cables though...thats funny...
<HR>

Most RF modulators have an input and an output. Just connect the cable to the VCRs input, the VCR output to the RF modulator's input, and then the coax out to the TV. Atleast that's how the RF modulator I used to use worked back before I got my Wega.

------------------
Dave My DVDs(Not updated anymore since DVD Tracker uncooly started charging). My Humble Home Theatre
"Hot Barbecue, TODAY!"
Old 01-04-01, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Huh? The RF modulator that I picked up at Radio Shack had two inputs, one coax in and one component in. I plugged my DVD to the component in and my VCR to the coax in, then used the RF modulator output (a coax) to send the signal to my TV. Therefore, while an RF modulator will not clear up macrovision (I think), it will allow him to play his DVD player without going through the VCR, so it indirectly clears up macrovision.

However, my theory is that if you need an RF modulator, your TV is too old or too small, use the $30 as a downpayment on a new TV.

Regarding the original post, ironically, when the customer does buy a new TV he will be blown away by the quality of his DVD picture since he surely then will be using a direct input to the TV.

Old 01-04-01, 01:32 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by dfbennett:

Most RF modulators have an input and an output. Just connect the cable to the VCRs input, the VCR output to the RF modulator's input, and then the coax out to the TV. Atleast that's how the RF modulator I used to use worked back before I got my Wega.

<HR>

Why would you use a RF modulaor in this application??? The VCR already has a coax output!!!
Old 01-04-01, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Why would you use a RF modulaor in this application??? The VCR already has a coax output!!!
<HR>

But the tv only has one input, right? If so, it would allow you to play both the dvd player and the vcr without changing a bunch of wires on the tv every time you want to change, correct?
Old 01-04-01, 01:57 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by RDYoung:
But the tv only has one input, right? If so, it would allow you to play both the dvd player and the vcr without changing a bunch of wires on the tv every time you want to change, correct?
<HR>

He never said he hooked up the DVD player in his original statement... only a vcr. But then again maybe I misunderstood him. If he hooked up the DVD and vcr to the RF modulator then your right.
Old 01-04-01, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's an idea...

Don't work at Best Buy!

I would never be able to take handling every day "stupids" that walk in and want to be cool with a DVD player. I'd rather work at Audio King with a more sophisticated customer base.
Old 01-04-01, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
With all due respect, this is exactly the kind of customer that Best Buy attracts.

Here was a person that was obviously misinformed somewhere along the way and this was a chance to educate him.

You could have diagramed out a hookup.
You could have looked at pieces of equipment in store to demonstrate.

Since Best Buy makes it a point to tell me whenever I am there "we do not work on commission", I guess there is little incentive to help "stupid" customers.

On more than one occassion I have asked questions about products only to be given on the most basic and often incorrect information by Best Buy "salespeople".

Until you become more than a "box" salesperson you should be prepared for alot more of this.
Old 01-04-01, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He never said he hooked up the DVD player in his original statement... only a vcr. But then again maybe I misunderstood him. If he hooked up the DVD and vcr to the RF modulator then your right.
<HR>

You'd use it for the reason you need an RF modulator:if your TV doesn't have AV inputs. As we all know, you can't run through a VCR. The RF mod I used to use had what i described above plus an AV input. I plugged the Composite out of the DVD into the composite in of the RF mod. I forgot to mention that because I assumed you all knew that the RF mod had a composite in and my old TV lacked AV ins. Sorry for the confusion, I thought we were all on the same page.

------------------
Dave My DVDs(Not updated anymore since DVD Tracker uncooly started charging). My Humble Home Theatre
"Hot Barbecue, TODAY!"
Old 01-04-01, 05:45 PM

Thats allright. Its just ignorance on my part because I have never used one.
I was not aware they had coax in and rca inputs.

You can run the DVD player into the VCR if the VCR is old enough. Thats how I have mine. Picture is great.
Old 01-04-01, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One thing I noticed a lot when I used to work in the HT and Car Audi industry is that everyone wants the best stuff for the price of the cheapest stuff.

Tell them straight out to pull their head out of the sand and spend the right money in return for the right goods.

We used to and while a few customers stormed out, many many came back to us time after time admiring out honesty and respecting our expertise.

------------------
Regards...
Drinker of much Pepsi, trainer of Dingo's and Jack's Aussie Moonshine importer...
John 3:16
Old 01-04-01, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know this has nothing to do with HT, but I used to work at Office Max.

I had one customer ask me what a printer did. It was hard to respond with out making her look like a complete idiot.

Another woman just could not understand why a Canon ink cartridge would not work in her Hewlett Packard.

Hmph. Such is life...

Old 01-05-01, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I work at the same Best Buy that the person who posted this works at, and I'll tell you the reason we don't work at those other places. Because the employees are stuck up elitists. I went in there the other day to see some high-end things because obviously we don't carry that stuff, but I got treated like a dirtbag because I don't have 8000 dollars to spend on the Elite big screen. (Oh well maybe I'll buy it when you get off your lazy ass and at least converge the thing. That color bleed is making me sick.)
And we try to educate the people, we really do. And no, not everyone in our department KNOWS what they are talking about, but I asked some basic questions in other stores to see if they were better then us, and I had the same problems with those people. But man, if you think hearing about the black bars on the message boards is irritating, try hearing it NO LIE 15 times a day. I am NOT exaggerating. And then when we DO try to explain it to them they NEVER want to listen. Then they want 5000 dollar sound out of a 400 dollar package system, and COMPLAIN when they bring it back saying "but it doesn't sound that good in my 30x30 living room."
And I'm sure he DID try to educate him about the problem, but the guy didn't want to hear it. That's where he got the "bigscreen" response. You shouldn't categorize all Best Buy employees into one lump just because a few of them work there to make better money then elsewhere. Some of us actually DO read up on the new technology, as you can see where we are posting. Man me and my friend over there will be GLAD to explain to any REASONABLE customer all we can about dvd's, just as soon as we explain to the ******* customer why the 100 dollar dvd player with no S-video output is inferior to anything else. Then we have to watch them purchase it ANYWAY. But they don't care because "oh it's a gift." Yup it really is the thought that counts.
Old 01-05-01, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

OK spainlinx0 & vwbeetlvr, in the past three months I have picked up the Toshiba SD-1600 and the Toshiba 27A50, both from Best Buy; the DVD was $189, plus a $15 rebate from Toshiba, plus Braveheart for free; the TV was about $340 (on sale, plus 10% off coupon).

How do I get rid of those black bars at the top and bottom of the screen? (just kidding)

Seriously, I couldn't get an answer out of the employees where I bought my DVD player. What am I losing out on by not having bought a $300, $400, on up DVD player? What do you think of Toshibas in general?

If I were to spend money on a surround sound "in a box" (I think that's how it's called, the receiver and speakers in a package), what would you recommend?
Old 01-05-01, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
From spainlinx() "(Oh well maybe I'll buy it when you get off your lazy ass and at least converge the thing. That color bleed is making me sick.)"

At the Best Buy that I go to there is not a big screen TV in the store set up correctly. I had a lengthy (well at least as lengthy as the self-proclaimed TV expert could handle) conversation with a sales person there about demo material on the TV's and why they did not feel it was necessary to show DVD's as demo material, only the canned Best Buy promos.

"But man, if you think hearing about the black bars on the message boards is irritating, try hearing it NO LIE 15 times a day. I am NOT exaggerating. And then when we DO try to explain it to them they NEVER want to listen. Then they want 5000 dollar sound out of a 400 dollar package system, and COMPLAIN when they bring it back saying "but it doesn't sound that good in my 30x30 living room."

Again this is the kind of customer that the Best Buy corporation is trying to attract. Perhaps showing widescreen demo material with an explanation might help? Instead of seeing a big blue box running around on a big screen tv.

Old 01-05-01, 11:36 AM

It is scary to hear these comments about Best Buy employees. I thought my local store was unique. (Sorry, don't mean to slam vwbettlvr.) I end up getting a number of things at Best Buy, but just for the price. The people who work at the local store are complete jerks. None of them know anything about their merchandise, none of them can answer a question as simple as time of day, and none of them want to help in any way. In fact, when I was looking at low-end system, one of these feebles kept turning up the volume on ANOTHER unit. If I want information in a chain, I go around the corner to Circuit City. (Whew, now I've got that outta my gunnysack.)

vwbeetlvr, maybe your customer perceived your explanation the same way spainlinx0 felt about the high end store. I know it's hard to have to educate customers every day. But that's what separates the guy you go back to for every question from the stockboy that won't talk to you. Some folks are natural teachers, and some aren't. And remember, it's hard for some of us that still have lots to learn to be able to separate the education (this is better because....) from the switch and bait (you'd really like this one, 'cause it costs more and therefore must be better). It's all in the sell!

Still learning,
Scott
Old 01-05-01, 11:51 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I have a comment from the other end.

When I go into a store, I always am polite with the employee and ask questions when I need.

I went into a local best buy this past tuesday to buy Hollow Man.
Their price was $16.99 or $17.99 and I knew, from reading here that the price at Circuit City was $14.99
BB is closer from work, and I went there on my lunch.

I didn't have the Circuit City ad with me, because it wouldn't do much good.

My story is that I asked them to price match the $14.99 circuit city price. The cashier asked for the ad and I explained that I didn't have it(yes, I know you have to show the price to price match, and this is where I am going in my story, so keep readin) and I explained that all it said in the ad is "Guarenteed low Price" just like a lot of items in your ad.
She called the manager over and I explained the whole situation to her that CC has it for $14.99 and I don't have the ad and all the ad says is "GLP" so having the ad wouldn't do much good.
So, she kind of looked at me with a blank look and said without the ad, they can't match.
And I explained that, yes, I know you need an ad with a price to match. As this ad won't show a price, the ad would do no good and if you would just contact CC, you would find out the DVD is $14.99.
She got all pissy and said, "its not my job to call another store. that is why we match prices from ads"
So I basically just said, well.. you lost a sale and went to CC after all the hassle.

My question is this, for current BB or other retail employees.

When I worked at one about 6 years ago or whatever. There would be a person that would "shop" other stores to see what their prices were.
DOes this still happen? If it does, that would have solved a lot of problems because BB would know that CC has it for $14.99 and match when someone asks to have the price matched.
They wouldnt' stand to lose because they wouldn't give it automatically to every customer, just those that knew and wanted to support BB over CC.
Anyways.. thats my little rant.

------------------
"Hey Rocky, Watch me pull another rabbit out of my hat."
"Again?"
----
ICQ 1415034
----
My DVDTracker List
My DVDProfiler List
My DVDList using DVDProTracker
My Home Page
Old 01-06-01, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All the statements above are EXACTLY why I hate working with the public. There are WAY too many stupid people out there, and they are too stupid to be enlightened. I am sure I know much more than most of the employees at the local Best Buy, that is one reason why I don't shop there. Another reason is their lack of quality products. Sorry, but a Daewoo TV is NOT of any quality. Only thing they have that'd be considered good are the Wegas and the HDTVs.

I would not want to spend all day going over the same thing with many different people, especially the widescreen issue. No thanks
Old 01-06-01, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

vwbeetlvr

First of all.......these UNINFORMED customers are who support not only your store but your job!!! They may be STUPID but please do not forget who it is that makes your GREAT job at Best Buy even possible!!!

Secondly...I have dealt with some pretty uninformed employees at Best Buy who have no clue what they are even trying to explain!!!
Best Buy should do a better job of training their employees regarding product information.

Your thread title could easily be applied to many employees at Best Buy!!!

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 01-06-01, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We may have found the first Best Buy employee ever, who actually knows something!
Old 01-06-01, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by JaxComet:
We may have found the first Best Buy employee ever, who actually knows something!
<HR>

We should have a celebration....

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 01-06-01, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For all you people who seem to despise the 'ignorant' sales people at Best Buy...don't shop there! If you feel that way, and have such horrible experiences shopping there I would advise going someplace else.
I'm not a Best Buy employee, and never have been, but have bought a few things from them in the past and get DVDs on a semi-regular basis there. I've never had a problem before, but I have heard some incorrect advice being given out and as much as that bothers me, I've seen it at many other retail stores including several high-end stores that I frequent. I was in one not too long ago auditioning the Sunfire Cinema Grand, when I noticed the plasma disply set-up (I think it was a Phillips). I laughed a little and asked the employee why they were displaying a pan and scan disc (Space Jam) on a 15,000 widescreen set. He smiled a bit and then slinked away, hoping not to be bothered again.
The point is, not every employee is going to be an 'expert' on what they are selling, no matter where you go.
If you have such trouble with Best Buy, go somewhere else. I know Circuit City is so much better. No, I take that back. I've read the 'Circuit City sucks' threads here, too.

------------------
DVD-O-Rama.com
DVD Reviews..with an attitude

Miami Dolphins: AFC Champs 2000.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.