Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

HELP! DVD Player Doesn't Like Some DVD's

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HELP! DVD Player Doesn't Like Some DVD's

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-01, 03:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! My Toshiba SD-3108 won't play some new DVD releases that work fine on other machines. So far it has rejected brand new copies of American Beauty, Gladiator, and The Perfect Storm. I cannot find a reason for this, is there something different about these recordings? If you've had this problem or know a fix (short of scrapping the player) let me know!
elan Barefield [email protected]
Old 01-04-01, 06:17 AM

The only thing you can do is send it into Toshiba and have them flash the rom on it for $50.

------------------
Gore won! 300,000 more voters in the popular vote can't be wrong!
[email protected]
Old 01-04-01, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by dfcc:
The only thing you can do is send it into Toshiba and have them flash the rom on it for $50.

<HR>

How new is this 3108 model????

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 01-04-01, 09:09 AM
Banned

doesn't like some dvd's, EASY CURE!!!
feed it only dvd's that it likes!!!!
Old 01-04-01, 10:32 AM

Sounds like it is definately the player and not the disks. I have the old Toshiba 2109 and own Gladiator and Perfect Storm and have had no such problems. The only problem I encountered with the Toshiba was seting up the audio output to bitstream to play dts soundtracks and PCM to allow my denon to play different sound fields. Hope you get the problem solved. I've been pretty happy with my player so far.
Old 01-04-01, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by elan Barefield:
American Beauty, Gladiator, and The Perfect Storm. I cannot find a reason for this, is there something different about these recordings?
<HR>

Are they all DD5.1 and DTS? Do other DTS discs play fine? Does the disc not play or is it not recognized ("no disc")... please elaborate on:
quote:<HR>So far it has rejected<HR>
with specifics.
Old 01-04-01, 07:04 PM
SS

I also have a sd3108 and it does not play Gladiator, MI2, Perfect Storm, Titan AE, Independance Day, an others I can't recall. I called Toshiba and sent it out last week. They said it would cost $63.00 including 2nd day return shipping. It definitely needs a software upgrade. I don't have the address and phone number here but will get it from work and post it tomorrow. This reallly sucks but what can we do but pay for the upgrade. I called several Toshiba dealers within 100 miles of central Wisconsin and none were able to do a software upgrade.
Old 01-04-01, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The 3108 had some of the buggiest player firmware in the history of the DVD format. I (a 3108 owner) have been hearing stories such as yours for years now.

The easiest solution is to send the player in to Toshiba and get the firmware updated. In my case, I replaced the player with a Proscan, and my software compatibility problems ended.

Cheers, RD
Old 01-05-01, 10:12 AM

I, too, have a Toshiba SD-3108. It was manufactured in September 1998 and I bought it almost exactly two years ago. The non-playing I found occurred on Acorn Media's TERRY PRACHETT'S DISKWORLD WYRD SISTERS and(yes) Dream Works' GLADIATOR. I note on the latter the comment, "This disc is compatible with all DVD players displaying these symbols," and displaying symbols that were not in use, as far as I know, in 1998. If it's any comfort (hah!), a friend has run into the same problem with his Pioneer DVL-700 DVD player. Reported discs which wouldn't play on his: Cathy Rigby version of PETER PAN and a collection of episodes of THE PRISONER. And Pioneer's customer service told him, in essence: Too bad. I hope the person with the Toshiba upgrade information will post it soon. Seems to me the solution is to (1) get the upgrade,(2) save the receipts, and (3) begin a demand for recovery of costs involved in the upgrade.
(Meanwhile, my computer's DVD player is filling in. But watching GLADIATOR on my monitor isn't quite the theatrical experience I'd been hoping for.)
Old 01-05-01, 01:29 PM

Thanks for all the help! I found info. for a fix for anyone else who has this model Toshiba (SD-3108): On a piece of paper include Name, Address, Phone, Model, Serial#, & Titles of DVDs that won't play along with a check or m.o. for $49 (this includes return shipping) to Toshiba (send the player too!). They will upgrade and return it within 10 business days. Send through a courier that provides tracking info. to:
Toshiba America Consumer Products
NEI
3653 Clairmont Road
Atlanta, GA 30341
Their follow up number (or to pay by credit card) is 1 800 795-7557
elan
Old 01-05-01, 05:18 PM

Sounds like it is 3108 exclusive. I own almost all the aformentioned trouble titles, except Peter Pan, he he, and my cheapo $185 Mercata special on the Toshiba 2109 seems like a great deal now. I really feel bad for all of you with these troubles. It sucks to spend all the time and money most of us have invested in our H/T systems to have small bugs make them useless.
Old 01-05-01, 07:40 PM
SS

The above posted information is correct except I was told to add "ATT DVD" at the bottom. The phone I called was 770-451-5057. I was also told by the people at NEI, which is a repair facility for Toshiba that the cost is $49 for the upgrade and an additional $14 for 2nd day return freight. I just gave them my credit card. I feel I have already been screwed so what does another $14 matter. I will be hard pressed to purchase another Toshiba. I must say that other than the titles that don't play, my machine performs very well. Nei also recommended writing the s/n down before sending. If called to check on it they can find out if the machine is ready or not. They also promised I would get my same machine back. I hope so. I play only movies and only on most weekends so it gets limitted use. I know some people play CD's as well and get 10 times the use.