Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DVDs from the UK

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-01, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What equipment do I need to play PAL DVDs from the UK here in the US? Just looking at Amazon's UK DVD store makes my mouth water. I have the Pioneer DVL-700 & Pioneer DV-525 for NTSC playback & a Toshiba TP43H95 RPTV. I'm going to be attending CES in Las Vegas this weekend & I'm ready to shop & buy. Thanks in advance for all answers & advice.

Andrew

[This message has been edited by Amelomet (edited January 03, 2001).]
Old 01-03-01, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You will need a DVD player and or TV that supports PAL playback as well as NTSC playback.

Failing that you can get an in-line converter that changes the display on the way to the TV but from what I've read they're almost as expensive as the actual DVD player itself!

Anyone else have some numbers to throw around?

------------------
Regards...
Drinker of much Pepsi, trainer of Dingo's and Jack's Aussie Moonshine importer...
John 3:16
Old 01-04-01, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Amelomet:
What equipment do I need to play PAL DVDs from the UK here in the US? Just looking at Amazon's UK DVD store makes my mouth water. I have the Pioneer DVL-700 & Pioneer DV-525 for NTSC playback & a Toshiba TP43H95 RPTV. I'm going to be attending CES in Las Vegas this weekend & I'm ready to shop & buy. Thanks in advance for all answers & advice.

Andrew

[This message has been edited by Amelomet (edited January 03, 2001).]
<HR>

You should probably also post this in the "International Forum" where you might be more likely to get an answer. People there are often more knowledgeable on the PAL/NTSC issue.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 01-04-01, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have an older apex, and it does just fine, because it allows you to chose the tv type, and from what I can gather, automatically does the conversion.

Old 01-04-01, 07:35 PM
Cool New Member

HITACHI 505 converts Pal50 films to NTSC