Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

To Buy or Not To Buy...

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

To Buy or Not To Buy...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-01, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am trying to decide if it is worthwhile to purchase a TV right now. I'm a college student on a fairly limited budget but do have a little money to burn.
I know if I buy something, I want to buy high-quality and not a shoddy TV set. As of right now my roommate and I have no TV and have survived 1 semester. However, I just purchased a new receiver and Take 5 system, and it kind of sucks watching DVDs on a laptop screen.

Here's the main question:

Is it worth it to invest in a good 27"-32" TV right now? How far is digital TV from becoming mainstream?? I need a TV that is going to last me a long time. I was looking at the Toshiba and Panasonic with the component inputs (the Wegas are slightly expensive).
What are everyone's thoughts on this? Is it worth it to get a TV now or wait it out until digital TV comes along? Or would it be better to buy one of those cheap Sanyo Wal-Mart sets and then a nicer one later on? Any advice or recommendations are appreciated.

I don't know how much more of this 13" screen I can handle...

Jason
Old 01-04-01, 02:33 AM

$350 is a good deal on the toshiba 27a40 or the panasonic 27-d10. I think now is a great time to buy a tv.
Old 01-04-01, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think if you wait for digital TVs to become more mainstream and affordable, you will be waiting a few more years at least.

I'm also a college student with a limited budget and just got a 27" Toshiba 27A40. It's a great TV so far. Component and S-Video inputs along with a great picture. I chose the Toshiba over the Panasonic 27-D10 based on the price I found the Toshiba for. Found the Toshiba for $279 and the Panasonic was $349.

I think these to sets would be the best deals around if you are looking for a high quality 27" set. I couldn't decide between the two so I let the price decide for me.
Old 01-04-01, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks guys. Anyone else have any thoughts?
Old 01-04-01, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

College Student...Limited Budget...Beer

Since you've gone this long you might want to wait for an e-tailer to offer a deal that includes free shipping.