Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

receiver hunt

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-01, 01:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking for a new receiver, although I don't know specifically what to look for. I have the PIONEER VSXD 409 in mind, in seems to have everything I might need, and I can get it for around $150. What's good and bad about this receiver? What's the difference between this model and other Pioneer models? What do I look for in a receiver? Open to any suggestions or opinions. Thanks ahead of time.
Old 01-04-01, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

What components do you have (DVD, game consoles, VCR etc.)?

How many components do you have and how do you and how do you want to connect them (S-Video, composite audio/video etc.)?

Do you already have speakers or are you planning on buying them too?

What is your budget?

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 01-04-01, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

while the above info would be nice, i'm gonna go out on a limb here.

the 409 and 509 are both pretty similar, but i would assert that the few extras you get with the 509 are worth the extra $50. hell, the 509 remote alone is worth $50.

but regardless of which you get, i suspect that you will be pleased with the performance.

------------------
chess' DVDs chess' Web Site
chess' modest home theater:
61" Sony RPTV KP-61S75, Panasonic A-120U, Pioneer VSX-D509S, Energy e:XL-16 front and surround (birch), Energy e:XL-C, Sony SA-WM40
Old 01-04-01, 11:19 AM

I just purchased the Panasonic DVD-CV50, I have a VCR, I have a cassette deck, and also a CD player, which would make around 4 components. I don't anything about the connections you mentioned. Also, I don't have speakers, I was planning on buying those. My Budget would be probably up to $200 or $250 on a receiver, and up to $500 on speakers.
Old 01-04-01, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

sort out the connections later. it's not nearly as complicated as we often make it sound. either of the receivers you named would be more than adequate for your needs and are IMO "best buys".

having said that, definately spend the extra $50 on the 509 vs. the 409. i can't say enough good things about that remote.

$500 for speakers...

alot of people will tell you to go with a sub/sat (subwoofer/sattelites) set up, but i totally disagree, especially if you want some midrange.

if you have a pair of acceptable (even marginal) speakers now, use them for surrounds and get a good set of bookshelves, a center, and a sub.

for around $500 you could get my complete front soundstage (2 Energy e:XL-16s, an e:XL-C, and a Sony SA-WM40 sub). also nice, because i have your prospective receiver and can verify that they sound great together.

this also leaves you with some options. use your new system for a while, and if you like whichever bookshelves you pick, get another pair for surrounds. if you want more "oomph", pick up some matching floorstanders. BUT MAKE SURE THEY ARE VOICEMATCHED WITH YOUR CENTER (in the energy's case, e:XL-25s or 26s).

i'm having this exact same discussion on another thread if you want to give it a read. something like "which 5.1 speakers).

good luck

------------------
chess' DVDs chess' Web Site
chess' modest home theater:
61" Sony RPTV KP-61S75, Panasonic A-120U, Pioneer VSX-D509S, Energy e:XL-16 front and surround (birch), Energy e:XL-C, Sony SA-WM40