Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

dvd with dolby receiver

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

dvd with dolby receiver

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-01, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I already have a dolby surround receiver, so I dont need a dvd with dolby decoder. What does the best cost effective dvd players start at? Should a dvd player with dts be important in the future and do they make a dvd without decoder but with dts? Any brand names and types would greatly be appreciated.....JW
Old 01-03-01, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have this one it works great..
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004R8VM/o/qid=97855450 8/sr=8-1/ref=aps_sr_ce_1_3/107-1679447-5205339

Yes you should get a DVD player with the DTS logo on it. Yes they make players without a decoder and with DTS....but don't get confused because these players don't have DTS decoders in them. You need to buy a reciever with DTS to hear DTS

Also, DTS will not matter if you only have a dolby surround reciever.

Mike

[This message has been edited by ANDREMIKE (edited January 03, 2001).]
Old 01-03-01, 05:14 PM

So, you think it's best to just upgrade to a receiver capable of dolby and dts, and stay with with a basic dvd. The logos on dvd players: If they don't decode without a proper receiver then what do the logo's represent?.....JW

quote:<HR>Originally posted by ANDREMIKE:
I have this one it works great..
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004R8VM/o/qid=97855450 8/sr=8-1/ref=aps_sr_ce_1_3/107-1679447-5205339

Yes you should get a DVD player with the DTS logo on it. Yes they make players without a decoder and with DTS....but don't get confused because these players don't have DTS decoders in them. You need to buy a reciever with DTS to hear DTS

Also, DTS will not matter if you only have a dolby surround reciever.

Mike

[This message has been edited by ANDREMIKE (edited January 03, 2001).]
<HR>

Old 01-03-01, 05:28 PM

The DVD players are just a DTS compatible device. You need to look at the specs. There are no DVD players that have a DTS decoder built in("there might be but there not affordable") There are players with 5.1DD decoders built in that have the DTS logo on it. But these do not decode DTS. There really is no good reason to buy a DVD player with a decoder built in unless you were like some of us that bought recievers in '96-'98 that were DD ready. Mostly all new recievers today have the 5.1DD and DTS decoder built in.
Yes I would buy a basic but good player(panasonic or SONY360 and then latter upgrade your reciever so you can watch DTS surround sound.
Old 01-03-01, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The logos are telling you that "this machine will pass the DD/DTS stream to a DD/DTS decoder". Question... You say you have a Dolby surround receiver... Is it Dolby Digital or Dolby Pro Logic?
Old 01-03-01, 05:34 PM

I assumed it was dolby pro logic...but a good question.... This could change everything!!!!
Old 01-04-01, 09:34 AM

It's a dolby pro logic. Tell me what to do....cause I'm ready to purchase today......JW

quote:<HR>Originally posted by ANDREMIKE:
I assumed it was dolby pro logic...but a good question.... This could change everything!!!!
<HR>

Old 01-04-01, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My opinion?

If you have the cash to spend right now, upgrade your receiver... Get one with a Dolby Digital AND DTS decoder built in. There is a huge difference between DD/DTS and Dolby Pro Logic. You need to hear it to believe it. (You'll also need a 5.1 speaker package if you don't already have one)

If cost is an issue, upgrade your receiver later... But, you should get one that will decode DD and DTS. The technology is there, use it. You'll read all about the DD vs DTS debate later...

As for the DVD player, ANDREMIKE gave a great suggestion... The Sony DVPS360 is a real nice player that will pass the DD and DTS stream. You should be able to find one at most larger electronic retail stores (Best Buy... Circuit City... even Sears) in the $250 range. You can go a little cheaper and still get a player that will pass DD and DTS, I'm just partial to Sony products. Bottom line, look around a bit and compare prices and features...

Welcome to the forums... Let us know how it works out...
Old 01-04-01, 11:12 AM

Couldn't agree more with the post above. Just get a basic player like the Sony mentioned above or even the panasonic that I mentioned above. With the $50 mail in rebate it's a great deal.
The Sony DVPS360 is all you need. When you decide to buy a new reciever then you will be able to watch movies in DTS.
Old 01-04-01, 11:15 AM

Thanks for your help guys. I'm glad I came here!

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago:
My opinion?

If you have the cash to spend right now, upgrade your receiver... Get one with a Dolby Digital AND DTS decoder built in. There is a huge difference between DD/DTS and Dolby Pro Logic. You need to hear it to believe it. (You'll also need a 5.1 speaker package if you don't already have one)

If cost is an issue, upgrade your receiver later... But, you should get one that will decode DD and DTS. The technology is there, use it. You'll read all about the DD vs DTS debate later...

As for the DVD player, ANDREMIKE gave a great suggestion... The Sony DVPS360 is a real nice player that will pass the DD and DTS stream. You should be able to find one at most larger electronic retail stores (Best Buy... Circuit City... even Sears) in the $250 range. You can go a little cheaper and still get a player that will pass DD and DTS, I'm just partial to Sony products. Bottom line, look around a bit and compare prices and features...

Welcome to the forums... Let us know how it works out...
<HR>