Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DVD through VCR

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-01, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've read a few posts about using a "video clarifier" ie macrovision disable box when running a dvd player through a vcr.

Here is my setup. I have a fairly cheap 27" sanyo tv w/ only coax input. I use my VCR to handle the input to my tv via RCA cables. My question is whether or not using one of these boxes would improve my picture quality.
Thanks
Old 01-03-01, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

based on what i have seen of the dreaded macrovision, the picture you get would just be unbearable to watch. so if you have a picture problem, macrovision might not be it.

i would also be curious to know how much this thing would cost. an RF converter might be cheaper.

do you have a receiver?

if not, this might be a good excuse to get one. or maybe even a new tv.

------------------
chess' DVDs chess' Web Site
chess' modest home theater:
61" Sony RPTV KP-61S75, Panasonic A-120U, Pioneer VSX-D509S, Energy e:XL-16 front and surround (birch), Energy e:XL-C, Sony SA-WM40
Old 01-03-01, 12:26 PM

Thanks for the quick response Chess.

The picture quality looks great to me, definately better than a vcr. I just want to make sure that I'm not missing something. I don't have a decent reciever right now, but I'm looking right now, any suggestions would be great. Looking to keep it under 300 for the reciever.

Using the vcr was the only way I could think to hook it up as it has A/V inputs on the front and back of the unit.
Thanks
Old 01-03-01, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How old is your VCR? If I understand the macrovision correctly, older VCRs do not recognize macrovision, thus your DVD signal would be fine running through the VCR.

If you are afraid you are missing something, just go to Radio Shack and pick up an RF Modulator ($30). Your VCR will go into the RF modulator as will your DVD player, then the RF Modulator will go into the coax input on your TV.

If the signal is much better then great, keep the RF Modulator. If it is the same as running your DVD through your VCR then return the RF Modulator (of course be careful with the packaging when you open the RF modulator).
Old 01-03-01, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

if the picture looks good to you (i.e. no horizontal lines/discoloration), you are probably doing ok and i don't think an external box is gonna help much. your biggest limitation at this point is the coax connection to the tv, but there really isn't much you can do about that aside from buying a new tv.

there are several good receivers for under $300. i would start with the Pioneer VSX-D509S (but i'm biased as i adore mine ) for somewhere between $220-$250 shipped or the VSX-D409 which is pretty similar but without the learning remote and a few bells/whistles. also check out the Onkyo 575, the Denon 1800 series, and the Kenwoods in that price range (forgot the models). the sony DB series should be good, but stay away from lower end sonys. ditto for panasonic/technics. JVCs sound good when they work.

good luck,
chess

------------------
chess' DVDs chess' Web Site
chess' modest home theater:
61" Sony RPTV KP-61S75, Panasonic A-120U, Pioneer VSX-D509S, Energy e:XL-16 front and surround (birch), Energy e:XL-C, Sony SA-WM40
Old 01-03-01, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Heat 1:
How old is your VCR? If I understand the macrovision correctly, older VCRs do not recognize macrovision, thus your DVD signal would be fine running through the VCR.
<HR>

This is very true. This is how I have my DVD player hooked up and the picture is great!
Old 01-03-01, 02:02 PM

Well thanks for the advice guys.
The picture quality is great so I guess macrovision isn't affecting my performance. My VCR is about a year old, Panasonic IIRC, and I have an Apex 600A, so it may not have the macrovision activated according to some sites I have read about this player. Its a great player, it took me about 6 months of shopping around finding all the features I wanted, I finally gave up because I was ending up looking at really high end units, so I said forget it and saw an ad in Kmart for a cheap Oritron for about 149. I headed over there but they were out but the saleman said, "we have another one in the back, I think it's about 10 bucks more, do you want to look at it?", so I said sure and he brings out this Apex so I grabbed it and headed to the register. When it rang up 119 I thought I had a hell of a deal, and it is.
Thanks