Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

HSU VTF -2 or Boston Accoustics VR500???

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HSU VTF -2 or Boston Accoustics VR500???

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-01, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am basically deciding between these two subs. I have heard great things about both.

The HSU I would have to buy new for about 500 dollars.

The Boston I would buy used for 275 shipped.

I am trying to save a little money hear, but I am a little hesitant about buying a used sub. This guy has had it about 2 years, and says he doesnt abuse his system so wear and tear is fairly light.

Is there a big differnece between the two?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

My HT system is decent for a beginner.

Pioneer 525 DVD Player
Sony Speakers (Yuck - I am changing soon)
Yamaha 595a receiver

I want a sub that I dont have to upgrade for a few years.
Old 01-02-01, 12:24 PM

I have the boston VR500 sub. I love it. I bought mine new a few years ago (for a lot more than $275). No probs so far, and it reproduces low tones good for me.

I think a key question is how well do you trust the info this person is giving you about abuse.
Old 01-02-01, 12:31 PM

I trust him. Hes a married guy with a 2 year old so at least for the last 2 years it cant have that much abuse on it.
Old 01-03-01, 09:47 AM

Noone knows anything else about these subs?
Old 01-03-01, 11:22 AM

I don't know much about the Boston sub but I own the HSU and can say with 100% confidence that you would just love it. It is a monster! Probably, the best bang for your buck on the market, or at least one of the top. It plays very low, 20Hz @ ~ 94dB in TN's test and article in S&V. Get the HSU and put in Lost in Space then watch the opening scene. You will then know what true bass sounds like, oops I mean feels like. The sub is also very musical. I tested Infinity SSW's, BU's, and Interlude, JBL ? can't remember models, Velodyne CT120 & CT 150, Def Tech 15tl+, Yamaha YST's, and the HSU beats 'em all. I am still amazed by the performance of the sub.

If you have the extra cash, go for the HSU, it is definitely worth the time. And you can find it cheapest at www.jeffssoundvalues.com for $425 +S&H. Or at least that is what it was when I got mine earlier last year and I looked and looked for the best price. Jeff had the lowest price of anybosy I could find.

Anyway, hope this helps, further questions? just ask.

wrath
Old 01-03-01, 11:36 AM

wrath,thanks for the info. i have heard really great things about that sub.

one question. it says that Jeff's site sells previously owned stuff. is it worth it to save 75 bucks on previously owned?
Old 01-03-01, 11:39 AM

Mission 700ASi

The Mission 700AS, it's previous model, was the "other" sub recommended by Tom Nousaine of Sound and Vision, May 2000. Nousaine also recommended the Hsu VTF-2. The 700ASi has an upgraded amp, 150 W instead of 100 W and a xover bypass switch I think. IMO, it's a great buy at around US$300 (US$500).

For more info on the 700ASi/700AS, check out my posts under this thread, http://talk.dvdtalk.com/ubb/Forum5/HTML/006077.html

Dave

Old 01-03-01, 11:50 AM

Actually, Jeff is an authorized HSU dealer, the HSU subs are brand spanking new.
Old 01-03-01, 01:14 PM

wrath,
I just called over there. Yes, they are new subs, your right. I went to their site and saw that they sold used stuff and assumed.

Anyway, they are currently out of stock, but he says he should have some more in today. I think I'll spend the extra cash and get the HSU over the used BA.

Are there any drawbacks to the HSU?
Old 01-03-01, 01:59 PM

I haven't found any with mine. I evened spoke with Dr. Hsu when I got mine to help set it in my optimum location based on my room dimensions. He is a very nice guy who is very prompt in answering his emails. You might want to drop him a line and describe your room, he will be able to tell you where the optimum placement will/should be. Oh and I am sure you will find rattles in your home that you never knew existed. Also watch your breakables on shelves as they will vibrate off if your not careful. I imagine you will be quite pleased with your purchase. If you do decide to go the HSU route, post back here and let me know how you like it.