DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Dreamcast vs. PS2?

Old 12-27-00, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yesterday, on an impulse, I ordered a PS2 Sports bundle (SSX, hockey and football). Today, I am having second thoughts about this buy vs. the Sega Dreamcast. I am not a big time gamer. Actually, I would probably still be happy with my Super Nintendo except that it's now broken. I guess that I got caught up in a post-Xmas buying frenzy. What to do?

My only experience with the latest gaming consoles is my brother's Nintendo 64. It's pretty good, but I don't think that it's going to be around for too much longer. I want a gaming console that will at least last me a year, maybe two. Will the Dreamcast last that long? I know that PS2 will, but however there aren't many games for it yet.

Sorry if this has been talked to death, but I have been out of the loop for a while now.

Thanks for any opinions.

Dave
Old 12-27-00, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Please do not look for more posts on comparing systems that cannot be compared!!! The Dreamcast has been out now for well over one year and currently offers second generation titles whereas the PS2 has only been out now for about two months. I have both and believe you should own both but not because one is better than the other!! Will the PS2 turn out a better library of games in the future? Who knows and who cares!!! The point is....both systems have much to offer which is why one should own both.

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 12-28-00, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

quote:<HR>Originally posted by DavidY:
Yesterday, on an impulse, I ordered a PS2 Sports bundle (SSX, hockey and football). Today, I am having second thoughts about this buy vs. the Sega Dreamcast. I am not a big time gamer. Actually, I would probably still be happy with my Super Nintendo except that it's now broken. I guess that I got caught up in a post-Xmas buying frenzy. What to do?

My only experience with the latest gaming consoles is my brother's Nintendo 64. It's pretty good, but I don't think that it's going to be around for too much longer. I want a gaming console that will at least last me a year, maybe two. Will the Dreamcast last that long? I know that PS2 will, but however there aren't many games for it yet.

Sorry if this has been talked to death, but I have been out of the loop for a while now.

Thanks for any opinions.

Dave
<HR>

don't sweat it too much. sometimes it's fun just to be on the cutting edge. rest assured that good games WILL be coming out for the ps2 (heck, some already are). if you have enough money to buy one, then just enjoy it and forget about how much greener the grass is on the other side of the fence. besides, 2 other things. you can play a HUGE library of ps1 games on it, AND you can watch DVD movies!

Old 12-28-00, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I have never been able to get by without every console on the market. Without having a Dreamcast I would miss out on NBA2K1, Skies of Arcadia, and Grandia 2. Without a PS2 I would miss out on Madden 2001, Bouncer (in March), and Gran Turismo 3 (in March). There is really no bad choice between the two it just depends on the games you like.

------------------
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
DVD Preorders Laserdisc
Video Games
Old 12-28-00, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

While for the most part I would have to agree with everything that's been said WRT owning both ( I too own both), in all honesty if you are choosing one or the other and you are a casual gamer then the Dreamcast is probably your best choice. It is half the price and currently has a bigger library of great games. Whether it will be around in a year or two is anyones guess, especially taking into account Segas past track record. But I think Sega is very serious and determined when it comes to the Dreamcast and will not give up very easily. Of course the launch of X Box and Game Cube might change this. In any case both PS2 and Dreamcast are great systems, the PS2 will definitely be around for a long time, but if you only own one system dreamcast is the better one to get. It will probably be at least another six months to a year before you see a good selection of games for the PS2.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 12-28-00, 12:55 PM
Suspended

I have a dreamcast.. my friend was lucky enough to get a PS2.. I like my DC a lot, and now that it's been out a while all the cool games are coming out for it. It will take PS2 a good year or so for the same thing to happen. But both are great systems with a lot of potential. It doesn't really matter which one you get, you'll like it either way
Old 12-28-00, 12:57 PM
Suspended

I have a dreamcast.. my friend was lucky enough to get a PS2.. I like my DC a lot, and now that it's been out a while all the cool games are coming out for it. It will take PS2 a good year or so for the same thing to happen. But both are great systems with a lot of potential. It doesn't really matter which one you get, you'll like it either way
Old 12-28-00, 12:58 PM
Suspended

Old 12-28-00, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just got rid of my dreamcast for a ps2...had it for a year and with the exception of a couple games (nfl2k and nba2k) I honestly was not really impressed with it. True, the ps2 does not have that many games yet, but there are so many more developers for the sony system that they will have a huge library in no time at all. That, along with the staying power of the sony (the ps1 has been successful for over 5 years) prove to me that the ps2 will definitely have more success than the dreamcast. Personally, I am looking forward to Gran Turismo 3 and All Star Baseball 2002 (out this spring.)
Old 12-28-00, 02:18 PM

Although I do own a few Sony products (WEGA TV for example), I have not been impressed with them as an overall company.

I currently own a Dreamcast and have been very pleased with it. As with any new system, it took some time for a lot of decent games to be published for the platform. Now, the Dreamcast can boast such titles as NBA2K1, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Quake 3 Arena, and a slew of other new games (Samba de Amigo - very fun). I think the Dreamcast will be around for a while, and am looking forward to seeing more new titles released for the system.

Since I am not a big-time gamer, I look more at the availability of games I want and the relative costs involved. I didn't purchase the Dreamcast until a couple of months ago. Perhaps if the PS2 had a better starting game linup and a more reasonable price I would be lured into buying one. However, I will stick to the Dreamcast - at least for now. With the X-Box and the GameCube coming out next fall, anything is possible.

------------------
"PC Load Letter?!?"

The Widescreen FAQ
My Growing DVD Collection
Old 12-28-00, 02:44 PM

It's a done deal....just cancelled my PS2 order.

As a casual gamer, I think that Dreamcast with their strong collection of good games will satisfy my gaming needs. And the price is right. I would rather spend the extra bucks on games right now instead of waiting for them to come in the next 12 months. With the new consoles from Microsoft and Nintendo on the horizon, I still think that the gaming market will be unsettled for the next couple of years. Therefore, I would rather take my chances with the tried and true DC.

Thanks for the all the replies. They are very much appreciated. Have a Happy New Year.

Dave
Old 12-28-00, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good Call dude, remember to pick up NBA&NFL2k
Old 12-28-00, 09:12 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DC has been out awhile and has a ton more games than the ps2 and several must have games. Search for the dreamcast must have games thread in the other forum for lists. Sony's problem is that they suck at making games, none of their first party games have been worth a crap except for the excellent Gran Turisimo series. They have always relied on third party exclusive games, like Metal Gear, Resident Evil, Madden etc. This was great for them on the PSone, but now they are losing exclusive games to the DC, X-Box and Gamecube. Unless Sony remedies this I'm not wasting my money on a PS2. Why should I buy one if almost all of the good games are also going to be available on other systems? I hope they get there act together and get some good exclusive first and third party games. Several good systems is the best option for gamers because stiff competion means more great games.

------------------
Josh Hinkle
My DVD's
My CD's
Old 12-29-00, 03:46 PM

I love my Dreamcast. My friends all have PS2's but they still come over to play the DC because it has all the games they wanna play....online!! Woo hoo!

Jesse
Old 12-29-00, 04:21 PM

I'm in the same situation, but I already have a ps2. I love it but their are no games available. I have a 50% off coupon at familywonder and I cant decide if I should buy a dreamcast or a multitap and two more controls for my ps2. I don't think sega has the staying power when the gamecube and xbox arrive.Whats the point have a system if the company is out of business.
Old 12-29-00, 06:47 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
quote:<HR>Originally posted by matrix69:
I'm in the same situation, but I already have a ps2. I love it but their are no games available. I have a 50% off coupon at familywonder and I cant decide if I should buy a dreamcast or a multitap and two more controls for my ps2.
<HR>

I'm pretty sure that the 50% off deal isn't valid on video game systems, so you probably won't have to make a decision.

------------------
Josh Hinkle
My DVD's
My CD's
Old 12-29-00, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

where did you get the 50% off coupon?
Old 12-29-00, 09:21 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by broadwayblue:
where did you get the 50% off coupon?
<HR>

I got one too. During their recent 50% off deal a two or three weeks ago I ordered 4 PS2 games (all showed to be in stock at the time). Anyway they shipped two and cancelled the other two. I emailed them to complain and they sent me a $10 off coupon. I emailed them a secong time to complain as I wanted them to honor the original offer and not give me a $10 coupon instead. A few days later they sent me another email with a link for a one time only 50% off coupon good until Jan 31st 2001. I have not used it as one or the other of the items I want is always out of stock. I am going to have to use it soon though.

------------------

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 12-30-00, 12:50 AM

After visiting the two local video rental shops, I found out that they only support PS1 and N64. No hint of DC games anywhere.

Based on this, the further bad news of Sega, and a local dealer having a post Xmas sale, I went with N64. The N64 console was sale priced at US$65. Perfect Dark and Turok 2 were well priced at US$35 and US$20, respectively. Too good of a bargain for me to pass up.

Thanks for all the replies.

Dave

Old 12-30-00, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That is a huge impulse buy.
Old 12-30-00, 10:40 PM

I'll tell you one thing, the N64 is a long
way off from PS2.

A pic is worth a thousand words, IMHO:

Real-time screen shot of DOA2 for PS2

Old 12-31-00, 03:01 PM

There have been several news stories lately about a possible merger between Sega and Nintendo. This would be a good thing. Nintendo has the most successful games (Zelda, Pokemaon, Mario, etc.) and neither it nor Sega will survive PS2 and MS XBox. Together, they might do something, however, it is no secret that Sega continues to bleed money every month, and many software designers have or are abandoning Nintendo. The Dolphin continues to be non-existent, and news reports say we should not expect it any time soon, and that when it does come out, it will be a gaming system only. With both PS2 and XBox vigorously pursuing integration and multi-function platforms, it seems clear that, for the present at least, serious gamers will go for the PS2, and families looking for quality games for kids will go for the N64.

[This message has been edited by Peter Overduin (edited December 31, 2000).]
Old 12-31-00, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Peter Overduin:
There have been several news stories lately about a possible merger between Sega and Nintendo. This would be a good thing. Nintendo has the most successful games (Zelda, Pokemaon, Mario, etc.) and neither it nor Sega will survive PS2 and MS XBox. Together, they might do something, however, it is no secret that Sega continues to bleed money every month, and many software designers have or are abandoning Nintendo. The Dolphin continues to be non-existent, and news reports say we should not expect it any time soon, and that when it does come out, it will be a gaming system only. With both PS2 and XBox vigorously pursuing integration and multi-function platforms, it seems clear that, for the present at least, serious gamers will go for the PS2, and families looking for quality games for kids will go for the N64.

[This message has been edited by Peter Overduin (edited December 31, 2000).]
<HR>

The dolphin???? Nintendo's next machine has been named Gamecube and will be released in the fall around the same time as the Xbox. I do not believe Dolphin even exists anymore except as an afterthought!!!

I also believe these merger rumours are false!!!

------------------

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife

[This message has been edited by djones6746 (edited December 31, 2000).]
Old 12-31-00, 04:22 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by djones6746:
The dolphin???? Nintendo's next machine has been named Gamecube and will be released in the fall around the same time as the Xbox.

<HR>

Don't be surprised if the Game Cube does not launch in the US until at least early 2002.

------------------

Old 12-31-00, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by cloud:
Don't be surprised if the Game Cube does not launch in the US until at least early 2002.

<HR>

I definitely would not be surprised at all...they have much to prove with this next system!!!

They should change the name to Titanic....reason being if they are not successful with this system Nintendo is going down with the ship!!!
------------------

Barney Fife

[This message has been edited by djones6746 (edited December 31, 2000).]

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.