Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Pioneer DV-333 opinions ?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Pioneer DV-333 opinions ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-00, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am brand new to the DVD market and would like a little advice. I currently have a Pioneer receiver and was thinking of purchasing the DV-333 DVD player. From what I read, it seems like a good player. Has anyone had any bad experiences or other advice that might push me to a different player instead. Again, I don't know much about DVD players, but I do burn many CD-Rs , and I think this model plays those as well. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-28-00, 09:43 PM

up
Old 12-29-00, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

While I don't own one it seems like most people here who have one are happy with it. It is one of the most recommended entry level DVD players here and would indeed make it a good buy. One benefit it has over most other DVD players is that it can play CD-R's.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 12-29-00, 11:40 AM

check out audioreview.com
Old 12-29-00, 05:46 PM
mdX

I have had my DV-333 for a few months now and am very happy with it. I have it hooked up to my 27" Wega via component video and the picture is as good as any I have seen (excluding progressive). No problems with layer changes, audio dropouts, or the like. the remote isn't the best, but I usually only hit play and pause =). It plays audio cd-r's prefectly (haven't tried vcd's, or cdrw)

-Matt
Old 12-30-00, 09:47 PM

Pioneer makes a very nice budget dvd player. I own the original 414 and it has performed flawlessly. The remotes suck(buttons too small and close together and no light) but what so you want for $200(that isn't made in malaysia or korea). Nice picture and fairly reliable(mine is 2 years old and no problems with any discs)
Old 12-30-00, 09:58 PM

I bought a dV333 for my parents for Xmas. We watched Gladiator, Amadeus and Karate Kid. The music in all of them are amazing. WideScreen on a 25" TV though (on some DVDs) is a bit hard to see from where we sit far away. I liked the Pioneer so much that I have now ordered myself the same unit, and Jurassic Park and Robocop DVDs to go along with it. Now I need a new TV for my room (it's an old 19" magnavox), that will work well with DVDs - does that mean I need a TV with a high horizontal resolution? As well, how come Sony WEGA's won't list their Horizontal Resolution...? Do they work well with DVDs? I was looking at a Samsung 25" TV that has a horizontal resolution of 600. That would fit my pretty SMALL (I'd say 13 X 11?) room. I know I need a new TV though as my 10 year old magnavox is monoraul, probably has low horizontal resolution, turns off when it wants to, and won't respond to any remote controls unless you press the button 5 times. As well, the up channel button -on- the TV doesn't want to respond anymore hehe. I owned a 32" Toshiba TV for a week and decided it was way too big for my room (can only sit about 5-6 feet back..max).

So just looking for a 21-27" TV with 1 or 2 AV inputs and a high horizontal resolution (if that's what gives DVD their sharp look). Thanks for any input.

~ELmO

[This message has been edited by guybrush (edited December 30, 2000).]
Old 12-31-00, 11:28 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by mdX:
I have had my DV-333 for a few months now and am very happy with it. I have it hooked up to my 27" Wega via component video and the picture is as good as any I have seen (excluding progressive). No problems with layer changes, audio dropouts, or the like. the remote isn't the best, but I usually only hit play and pause =). It plays audio cd-r's prefectly (haven't tried vcd's, or cdrw)

-Matt
<HR>

It plays VCDs and CDRWs(copied vcds). The CDRWs I tried were the cheapest disks I could find from Microcenter.
Old 12-31-00, 10:55 PM

I love my DV-333 for the money. I wanted a progressive scan (DV-434!!!), but I am a good 6 months to a year away from a front projection setup, so I could not justify the difference in price right now for my crappy 27-inch picture =(. I'll upgrade when I need to.

I tried a few players in this price range, and preferred the picture and features of the dv-333 over even models priced about 50% higher. It has one of every connection you might need (composite, component, S-video, both optical and coax digital sound, and a stereo downmix) as well as DTS passthrough, the ability to play CDR's, etc. Great value for an entry level unit.

Bill~
Old 01-01-01, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by bilwil:
I wanted a progressive scan (DV-434!!!),

<HR>

I don't remember the technical explanation this model is not a true progressive scan. If you do a search you will probably find threads that talk about it in more detail, or maybe someone else can explain.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 01-01-01, 06:54 PM

The DV-333 is very good for the money. I still use the DV-414, which replaced by the 525, and now 333.
Old 01-01-01, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by mdX:

-Matt
<HR>

Ditto...except we have a 32" Wega.
The DV-333 has performed flawlessly and I would wholeheartedly recommend it.

Old 01-02-01, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
cloud was right it's NOT a true progressive scan. Most reviewers even stated that the 434 ran clearer on INTERLACED then progressive settings. It doesn't use Pioneer's 3:2 pulldown that is considered the Industry reference. If you want a REAL progressive save up for the Pioneer DV-37 or 38, or if you're a Sony fanatic, get the 9000ES