Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

how do i wire a matrix 6.1 system?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

how do i wire a matrix 6.1 system?

Old 12-30-00, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i wanna get the yamaha HTR-5280 (RX-V800) and i would like to know how that matrix surround works. Do you have to wire it through your other rear speakers, or from the outputs of the 2 rear speakers, or do you have to run it through another receiver??? And how many WATTS does it receive? does it steal watts from the rears? would i have to divide the 200 watts (or is it 220?) equally among all 3 speakers or does it use significantly less?? I have 4 jbl n38s and an n-center, and i am contimplating whether i should get rid of the n-center and use 2 more n38's for a total of 6 n38's since i hear using identical center channels is a good thing. Maybe i could just buy another n-center for the rear center speaker.

Old 12-31-00, 07:24 PM

I thought the "matrix surround" created the effect of a virtual rear speaker, and was not an actual speaker output? I dunno, perhaps i'm wrong.
Old 01-01-01, 06:20 PM
Mod Emeritus

According to the Yamaha web site, the 5280 has a preout for the rear center. So, you would need another amp to supply power for the 6.1 layout. You could use another receiver to provide the amp and run from the speaker outs on this amp which corresponded to the input you used (assuming the receiver has seperate RCA inputs for each channel).

------------------
D.
Old 01-02-01, 10:09 AM
Cool New Member

The 5280 creates a phantom rear center. You don't physically have a rear center speaker....the receiver creates one from your two rears. It does have a preamp output for a rear center, but that is for the use of discrete 6.1 and not the matrix 6.1
Old 01-02-01, 10:13 AM
Cool New Member

The 5280 creates a phantom rear center. You don't physically have a rear center speaker....the receiver creates one from your two rears. It does have a preamp output for a rear center, but that is for the use of discrete 6.1 and not the matrix 6.1
Old 01-02-01, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Mister Beefhead:
I thought the "matrix surround" created the effect of a virtual rear speaker, and was not an actual speaker output?
<HR>

I believe that "matrix" sound can be sent to it's own actual speaker, although it is not a discrete channel. "Phantom" is usually the term applied to speakerless effects. Any Pro-Logic receiver should have a "phantom" center-channel speakerless effect in addition to a center channel speaker setting, which is derived from a matrixed stereo source.