Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Sony 660 dvd/disc changer setup Q's

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Sony 660 dvd/disc changer setup Q's

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-00, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just recently bought this unit and have some setup questions the manual isn't clear on. The manual shows two setups one for dolby and one for non dolby/non surround. I have a sony trinitron with DTS and an older non dolby technics stereo system. I wish to utilize the DTS feature on my tv but because this will also act as cd player i need to connect to my receiver for the systems speakers. Do i simply follow both sets of instructions separately or is there more to it.
Old 12-29-00, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think you are confused here. TV sets do not support DTS or DD5.1. There is no way your TV has this feature. In order to get DTS/DD5.1 you would need to hook your DVD player to a receiver that is also DTS/DD capable, which in turn is connected to a 5.1 speaker setup. I am not sure if your receiver is just dolby pro logic or whether it is DTS/DD5.1 capable too.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 12-30-00, 04:35 PM

I am confused that's why i posted.I'm very green to this whole thing. All I know is that my television has an option to enable DTS in the sound menu.More importantly is how do I hook this thing up? Should i go direct to the TV with the optical connection and connect the audio to both my stereo sytem and the audio jacks on the television.
Old 12-30-00, 04:58 PM

I am sorry but that still does not make sense. TV's cannot playback DTS sound it's not possible. I sure you are not confusing it with some other sound option or feature. What TV do you have (brand name and model). The only way to get DTS and for that matter DD5.1 also is to route the audio from the DVD player to a DD/DTS receiver and then to a 5.1 speaker setup.

------------------

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 12-30-00, 05:54 PM

you are absolutely correct. apparently my eyesight is worse than i think. It's DBS on the menu not dts. duh!!!!Any way the whole question is how do i best set this up to utilize as a cd players for my stereo system and as well as it's use as a dvd. is it as simple as having audio connections to the tv (Sony Trinitron-kv27s22 and the stereo. I'm starting to think i'm over analyzing this
Old 12-31-00, 04:53 PM

If your TV has the RCA (red and white) audio connections then you can use such a cable (RCA composite) going from the DVD player to the TV. This will allow you to watch DVD's and play music CD's while getting the sound from the TV speakers.

Alternatively if you have a stereo receiver and speakers then you can coonect the RCA audio cables in to the receiver and use it for the sound output. At the same time plug the RCA composite video cable (yellow cable) to the corressponding connection on your TV so that you can also watch DVD's while listening to the DVD soundtrack through the receiver, or for that matter listen to CD's.

I am sorry this is the best I can do, without actually seeing your setup or knowing the exact specs and layout of it. Maybe someone else will read this and be able to give better advice. Post here if you have any other questions.

------------------